The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

The journey back to Enfield was fairly uneventful except the bus driver said he would be unable to stop at Alexandra Palace station due to Tfl closing the bus stop. It hadn't prevented the bus stopping in the morning. I didn't want to go to Wood Green so I walked down the hill. We had afternoon tea with MiL and set off home. Aditi drove so it was a quick journey. I think it just seems quicker in the Fiesta.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Apologies for my last post, I should have said Simon not Mal. Thanks for that information re. the power supply Jamie, I'll take it down to the club Wednesday to have it checked out. The TV picture looks a lot sharper now the new wireless box has been installed and I've been watching some of the National Geographic programs, quite interesting program about Port Royal, Jamaica that was destroyed in an earthquake in 1692 and now lies underwater.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Apologies for my last post, I should have said Simon not Mal. Thanks for that information re. the power supply Jamie, I'll take it down to the club Wednesday to have it checked out. The TV picture looks a lot sharper now the new wireless box has been installed and I've been watching some of the National Geographic programs, quite interesting program about Port Royal, Jamaica that was destroyed in an earthquake in 1692 and now lies underwater.

It's always worth checking those type of power supplies out. Obviously they come in a variety of voltages and a few have an AC output but any 12V ones that I find always get 'recycled' as long as the current capacity is OK for the use.  That ex Virgin one is happily powering 17 Cobalts and associated LED's.

Jamie

• Like 11

I've been watching some of the National Geographic programs, quite interesting program about Port Royal, Jamaica that was destroyed in an earthquake in 1692 and now lies underwater.

I remember being thrilled when I discovered, completely by chance, the sunken city of Pheia, near Katakolo in Greece. We were sunbathing on the beach and noticed someone snorkelling in the bay, and evidently finding something very interesting under the water. So I swam out and found ruins just below the surface. I could actually stand on some of them. It took me some time afterwards (this was well before the internet) before I found out what they were.

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Hi Guys,

Missed a couple of days - so many pages in that time - but best wishes to all and especially to hear that Simon's sickness is minimal.  Rick's mother obviously had 'hidden' talents and pleased to hear that all went well Friday.

The number plate issue was interesting and as a youngster I thought of 4642PB.  Later (early 50s) on a pushbike over Kingston Bridge I observed a dirty blue van with NOV 5 on it but the one that stays in mind was the van somewhere in the Bournemouth area circa mid 60's that was HOR150N, on a garage van with the letters 'slightly' distorted, and soon after saw the HORIZON garage itself.

"Old" power supplies - I too look at what they give and use them as appropriate - the Virgin one looks good but unlikely that I will ever have one - and have quite a varied collection,  Unfortunately the 'best' one (adjustable voltage) has a damaged case and until I can sort that it will not be used.

Of course the England 58 ... enough said.

Peter

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Hey up!

worn to a frazz. Nice to meet Tony, ChrisF and Mike..who took charge of South Box at Grantham and seemed very happy to be applying power and signalling to the layout today. And nice to meet Roundhouse..must have a quick discuss on beers in Oz and New Zealand sometime Ian!

Don't anyone ever complain about

1 Car parking at Warley

2  Security people at Warley

3  Catering at Warley

Pah!!!

Glad it went well yesterday Rick and lovely pictures!

Simon, hope the tablets keep the sickness away.

Sleep well most, have a good evening to some and good morning to others

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 16

• RMweb Gold

How on earth can such a big harp frame only have 12 strings?  ( did have a look on maximum enlargement just to be sure before posting this).

It is electrickery. You wave your hands about and it makes plucking sounds. Nearby one can find a singing clam and a fish riding a bicycle. Taken in the Guinness Storehouse. There were trains too but possibly streng verboten here!

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Reminds me of the Uxbridge English Dictionary definition:

Harpie: a bit like a harp

I just had to go and check "horsey"

Just don't look up horsey style in the urban dictionary......

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Gone midnight and only just got into our hotel at Euston.

What a great day talking to so many people.

Got stuck in the lift at Ally Pally why I delayed us getting set up by about 25 minutes but we managed via the stairs and smaller lift. Funny that the lift operator says this rarely happens but I don’tt recall not hearing about the lift failing every year we have been doing the show. We keep saying never again but once set up we do enjoy it and looks like that we will be there again next year .

Good to talk to. Ike (sm) and Baz briefly. Yes definitely interested in beer in the antipodes. Twenty years since our last trip.

A great evening out with the various Cumbria crew as per usual in central London and anther visit to the USA discussed.

Fort Myers is the first layout to feature in this vid on the Ally Pally thread at 1 minute in.

I seem to have bought yet another boxcar.....

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

This was layout tour day. We started with one really superb layout called Magoun Pier. 2 othrs along the same street (in a small town). Long break for lunch, one more, then off to friend Dave's for a 2 1/2 hour natter with his sister (as other visitors came to see the trains).

I'm told we will not be going back tomorrow to see the FreeMo.

• Like 15