The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

It's all about to kick off here! Football on one channel, Sport Relief on another and I'm going to watch rugby on BT Sport. I'm happy,  :imsohappy:  guess who's not!   :girldevil:

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Well that’s over. Mother was farewelled in magnificent style as befitted her life. A simple service but with tributes which even moved the celebrant to tears. And with a superb floral tribute which could not have bettered the request to make it look like a spring garden.

The ashes will in due course be scattered around the same tree that received dad’s last year.

The family element threatening to be unpleasant was quietly civil.

We are now enjoying a relaxing night in a Brighton hotel. Tomorrow we clear more of the house.

Many thanks for your messages of support.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Well blow me down and tickle me sideways! The Boss seems to think that I've been a bit unhappy this week and is actively encouraging me to go out for the day tomorrow and enjoy myself. Now where could I possibly go?  :scratchhead:

PS It seems she's now not bothered about the rugby on TV either. A lot can happen here in 20 minutes or so.   :whistle:  :banghead:

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Well blow me down and tickle me sideways! The Boss seems to think that I've been a bit unhappy this week and is actively encouraging me to go out for the day tomorrow and enjoy myself. Now where could I possibly go?  :scratchhead:

PS It seems she's now not bothered about the rugby on TV either. A lot can happen here in 20 minutes or so.   :whistle:  :banghead:

I find that hard to believe me thinks you tell porkies.  :jester:

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Had a phone call this lunchtime from the engineer from Virgin. I was due to have an upgraded wireless hub and wireless TV box fitted Monday morning and he asked if it was OK to do it this afternoon to which I agreed. All installed in just over an hour and everything working perfectly, and broadband seems to be a bit faster.

• Like 17

Personalized number plates (aka vanity plates) are no big deal here. The various states give you one for a fee if its unique, fits the number of symbols allowed and it's not rude, though sometimes their rudeness detector isn't fool-proof.

I happened to pick up a pencil today and it said "Carmine Red" so I went on the Idaho DMV website and I could actually get "CARMINE", but I don't think I'll bother.

When we lived in California I had "ED4ZHLS" on my Volvo. One day a guy in a Lexus buzzed me on the freeway. His plate was "EBYGUM"

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Personalized number plates (aka vanity plates) are no big deal here. The various states give you one for a fee if its unique, fits the number of symbols allowed and it's not rude, though sometimes their rudeness detector isn't fool-proof.

I happened to pick up a pencil today and it said "Carmine Red" so I went on the Idaho DMV website and I could actually get "CARMINE", but I don't think I'll bother.

When we lived in California I had "ED4ZHLS" on my Volvo. One day a guy in a Lexus buzzed me on the freeway. His plate was "EBYGUM"

My favourite that I used to see on my Manchester commute many years ago.

A 113 ERT, but with careful (i.e. illegal) spacing  and an extra black bolt head, looked like ALBERT

A few driving instructors I knew had PA55 xxx where "xxx" were the initials of the driving school or other recognisable moniker

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 12

I've ordered R50 ATP last week for my new Citroen C4 Exclusive.

R = Roy my Farther

50 = the year I was born,

ATP, = well that will be me then. :sungum:

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 12

And tomorrow it is off to Ally Pally, possibly accompanied by the lad - who has sussed out that a normally useful chunk of the UndergrounD, i.e. the H&C and the Circle Lines will be closed, along with the inner part of the Met and part of the District, so this will mean either a different route to KX or accessing the W3 omnibus at one or other of its starting points (one of which was in total disarray last year due to station entrance rebuilding).  Not the end of the world but no doubt the lad will not be keen to make the return journey via Reading which suits me as it lets me avoid the footbridge at Twyford.  Anyway we shall see what transpires and i shall no doubt head for the Gaugemaster stand at 12.00 to take part in the cunning plot which one of their staff has organised to rope in punters - really clever idea that.  Of course it does depend on my ability, or otherwise, to actually find said stand.

Mr Stationmaster, Sir, the stand should be easy to find (in the main hall, turn left, pass Bachmann, look right.).

From our meetings with iD, you should realise that there is NO ulterior motive for selecting this meeting  point, merely, in the absence of a full scale loco, just an easy reference point.

However, please feel free to browse the stand and make any purchases you deem appropriate! My colleagues won't force you!

See you there.

BTW, shouldn't it have been the H&D, Hammersmith & District?

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium

However, please feel free to browse the stand and make any purchases you deem appropriate! My colleagues won't force you!

See you there.

And you can always buy some stuff with blue packaging from the same stand.......

Cheers,

Mick

When I was about 22, I saw a Morris 1000 Traveller for sale with ATP 7, No Plate. My initials and my Racing No. It was £25, car and plate, as back then very few people worried about the Reg No.

I couldn't afford it, I was only earning about £20 a week and already borrowed £25 from my parents to by another Trials Bike. 

I do regret not getting it now though.

Edited by Andrew P

• RMweb Premium

The purple heather has come out on the mountains, they look a lot better for it.

I presume you mean the mountains on the layout and not Norfolk.....?

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

My silhouette cutter has just worked on a piece of 20 thou styrene for me.

It can't cut right through but at least I have score lines to follow - all 396 of them.

I may be some time.........

Cheers,

Mick