The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Yep Bill, I've said for a long time that England need a more mobile back row  

They should have put the back row of the Englands Women's team out they couldn't have done any worse than's Joneses plough horses. :biggrin_mini2:

I was up at 01:30 this morning for a jimmy and notice we had a fresh fall of the white stuff checky SiL phoned later to see if we were OK SWMBO 

told him to go forth and multiply telling him we are not OLD, she's not fooling me.  :spiteful:

Off to make lunch have a good All   :bye:

• Like 3

Afternoon all. Been absent for a few days again so my apologies for anything I missed. Generic greetings all round and particular good wishes to Debs. 

Latest update from this corner of Derbyshire:

We had a generous snow fall last night for which the Highways department appeared unprepared. Sarah and I attended the Derby Arena last night to watch the comedian John Bishop. The tickets were part of my gift to Sarah for her birthday. On leaving the show we found a generous amount of the white stuff had fallen, and was still falling. Getting out of the car park was a little tricky, but the drive home was worse - all major roads were covered and we never achieved a speed above 10mph. 

The show was very enjoyable, but sadly the Arena did their best to ruin the night. The tickets and pre-show emails stated that the doors opened at 7pm. We arrived just before the allotted time before joining the outdoor queue that was sheltered from the wind by the overhang of the Arena roof. We watched as the security then manoeuvred metal queuing barriers into place. The queue was then directed to move to these. The queue was subsequently arranged in the open air with no protection from the freezing temperatures, high winds and snow flurries for 25 minutes. The doors opening almost half an hour late! The wait did Sarah no good at all and she is now bed ridden with a heavy cold.

The overnight snow has resulted in the police advising Derby County to postpone the home game against Cardiff. Whilst that saves me from sitting out in the cold for a couple of hours, it has now landed me the job of taking Amber to a children's party at a soft play area. I am not sure which is worse. At least the snow has cleared from the roads so the roads should not be too bad.

Regards

Andy

• RMweb Gold

.. SiL phoned later to see if we were OK SWMBO 

told him to go forth and multiply telling him we are not OLD, she's not fooling me.  :spiteful:

Off to make lunch have a good All   :bye:

I must have looked a bit doddery in Dublin last Monday. I was carrying our lunch tray to the till to pay when the cashier ran over and said please let me take that for you.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Good afternoon

We woke up to a bit of snow, like last night, the \winds have blown most of it away and all that remains is to be found in the sheltered areas.

Another coat of varnish has been applied to the knobs that I polished yesterday, they are looking quite good now, a final 3rd coat will be applied after dinner.

Arr, I think I've just heard the kettle!

Back later

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Well the good news is that a decision has now been taken to go out for lunch. Even better news is that son Steve has volunteered to drive and will be here shortly to pick us up so no need for cabs. 

I may be gone for some time.

:imsohappy:  :yes:  :drinks:

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

I must have looked a bit doddery in Dublin last Monday. I was carrying our lunch tray to the till to pay when the cashier ran over and said please let me take that for you.

Bless her/him we don't look that old Tony the kids who work in the local bar could not believe I was 66  :happy_mini:  they thought I was nearer 55 the same for SWMBO I think they are nice.

Well the good news is that a decision has now been taken to go out for lunch. Even better news is that son Steve has volunteered to drive and will be here shortly to pick us up so no need for cabs. 

I may be gone for some time.

:imsohappy:  :yes:  :drinks:

I thought you were into walking these days   :blush_mini:

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Those that have an inkling of coding think they can message about unmentionables to get around my my security monitoring on behalf of Debs.

Unfortunately for them, I have friends at GCHQ.

Since I used to live in B Block, Bletchley Park, I'm not too worried.

post-15969-0-96813300-1521380642_thumb.gif

It felt like arctic convoys out there, although we didn't sail as it was too xxxxxx cold and the wind was strong enough to be lifting spray off of the water. Six dinghies did go out to play later, they really struggled but they did survive. I did get the rescue boats ready and put the flags up.

I'm now wrapped up on the sofa getting defrosted.

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 19

Cripes, Bill, I wouldn't have called the England-Ireland result irrelevant! Surely you don't mean the Italy-Scotland match? Thought that we (Scotland) were lucky to win that - Italy played well. Meant that we finish 3rd in the table, our highest place for years.

As GDB says, Ireland deserved to win the Slam this year so well done. England have got some work to do, and Scotland has to build on this year by practice, practice and practice. Have enjoyed watching the matches this year.

Mal

Mal,

Irrelevant - Italy v Scotland (sorry, but true)

Good result - England v Ireland

Great result - Wales v France, but as usual I turned off after a minute and only turned on again as the clock hit overtime.  Wales always lose if I watch them so self imposed abstinence.

Once played against a girl's team - got off with the hooker!

Bill

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Those that have an inkling of coding think they can message about unmentionables to get around my my security monitoring on behalf of Debs.

Unfortunately for them, I have friends at GCHQ.

Most TLA can be Googled now. No need for GCHQ!

However I did learn what GDB is an abbreviation for. It even may have GCHQ relevance. Apparently it is a UNIX debugger.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

I knew someone who had served on Artic convoys. I don't actually remember Len mentioning the cold. He did mention the food quite a lot. I think that was the best bit of the navy for him.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

From an almost snow free village - all we had here was a few flurries of snizzle (snowy drizzle) and it hasn't stuck anywhere.  Lancaster has a very odd micro climate as I've said before, though it does get its fair share of rain, it has to be said.

John, thanks for the update on Debs, and hopefully this recovery will continue, and her medics are at last on the right track with her treatment.

Generic greetings to everybody else.

This afternoon, we discovered that there was some water ingress into the shelf in the porch, which we hadn't seen before, and an investigation found a gap which had been sealed with silicone about 12 years ago by the builder, and that had finally broken down, not helped by the Easterly winds and rain/sleet/snizzle recently, as the gap in question points Eastwards.  A quick trip to Screwfix, as we didn't have the correct grade of silicone, and the porch heater is now on to keep the temperature up pending the mastic curing, which should be fairly quick, as it is badged as quick setting.

Back tomorrow.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Supposedly last home ice hockey game tonight.

"We" made the playoffs and the away leg was last night, suffering a 12-1 loss away at Hull (Hull is one of the three teams that dropped down from the league above when it folded - these three teams have been way above everyone else)

Playoff leg 2 and very little chance of overturning that score, but I know the lads will still have given it their all.

Just found out it's been postponed because of the weather - not looking too good for the away team crossing the M62. For a change it would have been warmer in the rink than outside...............

Looks like there may be some modelling done instead.

Stay warm folks.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

After some desultory snow yesterday that didn't last or settle, we had 2-3 inches overnight which didn't stop until 11-ish this am but by then the thaw had begun. After a break for lunch it has begun snowing again, now very fine flakes, not settling. Maybe later. Tigger hates snow and refused to go out until clearly desperate. He didn't take long.

I had a minor IT crisis on Friday when I knocked against the dongle for the wireless keyboard and mouse,  so it died. Fortunately I have spare USB mice and a keyboard that was supposed to have gone to a computer recycling charity; fortunately my lack of progress on clearing junk paid off. I may actually hang onto it as a spare, though I'll have to hide it....  The dongle can't be replaced on its own so a new set is needed. Maplins didn't have a suitable replacement so I ordered direct from HP.

I need to sort some stuff out, a trip to the storage unit is required in the week and I also need to put some items on Ebay.

keep warm.

Pete

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

The electronic seaweed twirler eventually managed 2c here, but its dropping again.  The snow didn't stick, although it gently fluttered down most of the day.

The big job this afternoon was tightening the legs on the coffee table - you can tell we're bored! Back to work in the morning thank crunchie, although that will hit me hard after so long off.  Still need to use a crutch most of the time outside, my balance isn't quite back due to the weak muscles in the foot.  Physioterrorism tomorrow evening, the pretty girl that hurts....and smiles while she does so.  Ah well, some folk like that kind of thing, it doesn't float my boat but it does help my foot!

• Like 17

Afternoon...

Busy, busy, busy...

Decent trip home Friday evening, picked up by Jemma and relaxed at her place with the Mrs for a couple of hours hearing about her UK trip.

Yesterday, brunch out, pickup new specs, shopping (don't even remember what for but was rather busy), return home, Mrs making Hungarian goulash (MiL was Hungarian and had a VERY SPECIAL recipe) for the "cousins party" today for all the out-of-town folks here for the Memorial service tomorrow. Took a late afternoon walk to get Mrs mind off the eulogy she's panicking over, had dinner and collapsed <phew>

Today, starting to ramp up for the 2PM party. Should be somewhat relaxed affair (we live in hope) but you never can tell with a large family gathering - having come from an incredibly small family, these large gatherings still overwhelm me, and this time there will only be about 35 people there as many can't make it! :O

Tomorrow unlikely to post (unless it's late in the day) as the Memorial service is at 10AM and I'm obviously off for the entire day from work, but there'll be no dawdling in the AM.

Up to 5 here and partly sunny expected to reach 7 for the high. Tomorrow much of the same though slightly cooler by a couple of degrees.

Hope your weekend was enjoyable - carry on.

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Managed to get to the toy fair at Rayleigh this morning but some of the traders from further afield didn't. One of the traders that did had a box on his table of unboxed 00 scale cars from the likes of Oxford and Classix. Amongst these I found a nicely built Scalelink Citroen 'Traction' not bad for £2:50. The snow abated this morning but came back at about 3 but is not settling on the roads yet.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 14