The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

I've managed to ditch most of my pain meds........now off of the 9 gabapentin a day and 6 tramadol and 2 large naproxen.

That with paracetamol and omeprazole was making me rattle, and I think making me ill!

Neuro surgeon recommended core strengthening, and I am now in the gym 6 days a week.......30 mins on the cross trainer and 10/15 mins on the rowing machine.

Nothing toooo OTT but I have lost well over a stone and weigh the same I did as a 25 year old marine!!

I am also using capacasin (pepper) cream and although still in pain I feel much better for it, having lost over 6 bags of sugar off of my waist!

I still like an occasional beer, usually Cobra with lime to accompany one of my regular visits to a rather splendid Indian (Bangladesh) restaurant in the Muff.

Looks like I WILL be needing a second op, but at least I am able to, sort of, manage without being a bit zombified all day long.........and I feel guilt free over a second Cobra and a side veg curry as I'm burning it off anyway.

Not quite happy days, but I'm far better off than some.

• Like 12

Good evening to you all. Generic greetings all round.

After ChrisF’s post I decided to take a look at the locked thread. Unbelievable how some people behave!

Anyway just one piece of news for you all.

Email received from the old place today. I have not been shortlisted for the headship role. No surprise there.

Regards

Andy

And another sadly passes away - Jim Bowen.

A letter from America today. Request for non-payment of a $1.40 toll - two 70 cent tickets

The I-95 is the main north-south highway through the Eastern seaboard (I think it's toll free along it's 1800 mile length) and it is connected to Miami airport via the Airport Expressway that is about 4 miles long.

Alternate routes in the area involve non-major roads with consequently longer transit times.

It was as we exited by the airport that Mrs NB thought we had just been on a toll road and neither of us had seen any signs that we had entered a toll area - no toll booths - all done by licence plate recognition.

It's the principal connection from a major highway to a huge airport - a licence to print money.

I have checked the details of the letter and it tallies with when and where we were, so looks like I'll be paying the toll - with an admin charge of $19.98 as they charge $9.99 per transgression...........

B*gger. 

Another reason I'll not be visiting Florida. I'd send a pointed letter to the Florida governor telling him you'll not be coming back and you'll tell all your mates in the UK to avoid the place like crazy. Threaten him with a letter to the Daily Wail too. Tourism from the UK is a big deal for the Florida economy. You might get some traction.

On one occasion I managed to get my money back from California by sending the Gov a letter. They actually "stole" money from my bank account for a parking ticket on a vehicle I had never owned. The bank charged me a fee too. I wasn't able to get that back but at least I had the satisfaction of seeing the particular bank go bust.

How are you supposed to pay the toll if you are in a rental car and there are no tollbooths?

How are you supposed to pay the toll if you are in a rental car and there are no tollbooths?

The toll collection company employed by the rental car company will charge the same credit card that you used to rent the car and charge you a hefty service fee while they are about it. (At least that's how it works with Hertz and Platepass.)

There was a class action suit over this. As far as I can tell nothing has changed in the wake of the lawsuit.

• RMweb Premium

The toll collection company employed by the rental car company will charge the same credit card that you used to rent the car and charge you a hefty service fee while they are about it. (At least that's how it works with Hertz and Platepass.)

There was a class action suit over this. As far as I can tell nothing has changed in the wake of the lawsuit.

The toll collection company website is dollarrentalfine.com.............

I'm surprised that they haven't charged my card that I used for the car hire.

Oops - just checked - they have. The date of notice is 23/2/18 and they give me up to 10/3/18 to pay by other means before they charge my card. Letter for payment was received on 14/3/18.

B*gger,

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Evening everyone

Well the cakes went down well, yesterday I made 12, there’s only 2 left!

I bloody sure they aren’t fed at home!

Goodnight all.

• Like 14

Oops - just checked - they have. The date of notice is 23/2/18 and they give me up to 10/3/18 to pay by other means before they charge my card. Letter for payment was received on 14/3/18.

B*gger,

Cheers,

Mick

I think it's Daily Wail time (it shows up on Yahoo here BTW). At this point, if you can be bothered, the best you can probably do is make Florida and the car hire companies squirm as much as possible. They really hate negative press.

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

B*gger,

Cheers,

Mick

Mick,

Couldn't give a rating because none were suitable - like AndyIDs suggestion.

I think it's Daily Wail time (it shows up on Yahoo here BTW). At this point, if you can be bothered, the best you can probably do is make Florida and the car hire companies squirm as much as possible. They really hate negative press.

You know, the more I think about this the dumber it seems. The economy in Florida is highly dependent on tourism. Tourists who hire a car in Florida are getting kicked in the teeth. That strikes me as being incredibly stupid, but maybe I'm missing something?

If I'm not missing something it should make a pretty good story :)

Rent a transponder from the car rental company. The company pays the toll charge and debits the credit card you used for the rental. That way, you avoid any extra charges on top of the toll (though you are paying something for the transponder). We did that when renting in Florida some years ago, knowing that there were toll roads on our proposed route. Edited by pH

• RMweb Gold

When we went to New England we hired a transponder though I think it was still possible to pay at a booth then. In Houston all the cars came with transponders and my card was debited. Not expensive at all.

I have an account for the Dartford toll and haven't needed to pay any of the London charges yet.

• Like 3

Rent a transponder from the car rental company. The company pays the toll charge and debits the credit card you used for the rental. That way, you avoid any extra charges on top of the toll (though you are paying something for the transponder). We did that when renting in Florida some years ago, knowing that there were toll roads on our proposed route.

That makes sense. If it's practically impossible to get to the airport without using a toll road the hire company should put transponders on any cars they rent rather than making it an option.

• RMweb Premium

Cut and paste is brilliant - multiple emails sent..............................

• Like 13

We used the Tacoma Narrows toll Bridge and made use of the toll transponder fitted to the windscreen. I asked about the toll charge and rental company said it can take a few weeks to come through and he charged to my card.

Yes, but IIRC you could also have used cash. Mick didn't have that option :)

• RMweb Premium

You know, the more I think about this the dumber it seems. The economy in Florida is highly dependent on tourism. Tourists who hire a car in Florida are getting kicked in the teeth. That strikes me as being incredibly stupid, but maybe I'm missing something?

If I'm not missing something it should make a pretty good story :)

I like it when applying for an ESTA - the US Gov charges $14 for the privilege of visiting the great wide open, stating that a significant portion of the fee goes towards tourism. You certainly have many hoops to jump through to be a simple tourist.

I've been there three times on my current ESTA that expires in May, so I think I've had VFM.

Rent a transponder from the car rental company. The company pays the toll charge and debits the credit card you used for the rental. That way, you avoid any extra charges on top of the toll (though you are paying something for the transponder). We did that when renting in Florida some years ago, knowing that there were toll roads on our proposed route.

I read that unless you make good use of the toll roads, the basic cost of the transponder wasn't worth it.

We wanted to see more of the area than just bland toll roads and turnpikes having done the "lots of miles as quickly as possible" before, we opted to go without. The satnav was set to avoid them and did do so, except for the last 15 minutes of 6 days driving.......

That makes sense. If it's practically impossible to get to the airport without using a toll road the hire company should put transponders on any cars they rent rather than making it an option.

Transponders are fitted in rental cars on the Algarve as it's near impossible to negotiate along the coast without avoiding the main A22. The option is the death trap that is the N125......

The debacle when the A22 was converted to a toll road was a great lesson in mis-management. I think it took 18 months from the toll portals being erected to them finally being used.

I'm not normally a grumpy old git, but every now and then...................... 

If only one of my emails come back, with a personalised reply  I'll feel my $20 well spent.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Yes agree as these days tourists are ripped off everywhere. We were debating whether to go via the toll booth at the Narrows and risk the transponder still charging us or just go for the quick way. Dartford tunnel is just as bad as you now have no choice, as paying cash is no longer an option do we haven't used that to crossing in years as its just too much hassle for occasional use.

Last time we used the Orlando Expressway and turnpike it was all cash booths.

The Chicago tollway are also mainly cashless, certainly at the smaller off ramps so best to use the transponders on car rentals

I read that unless you make good use of the toll roads, the basic cost of the transponder wasn't worth it. We wanted to see more of the area than just bland toll roads and turnpikes having done the "lots of miles as quickly as possible" before, we opted to go without.

It was several years ago, so I can't remember how much it cost, but it seemed worth it to avoid the possibility of having to deal with charges coming in weeks later. We'd rented the car in Fort Lauderdale and knew that we were going to have use a toll road in the Miami area. That was the only toll road we used in ten days of travelling.

• RMweb Premium

When we were in Miami (over 10 years ago) there were a lot of places on the expressways where you could take a side lane to pay cash or drive on the main line with a transponder.  A number of exits had not-so-big signs saying that they were not cash exits.

Last October in Massychewsetts we used the turnpike which has been changed to photo tolls. We haven't had any bills yet; I wonder if some poor Charlie with our plate number has an unexpected bill.

One of our supermarkets has set its self-serve exits to not accept money. I much prefer cashiers -- they do it faster than I do.