The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Glad you're doing OK, Stewart! Don't work too hard...

Weather awful here today it has been pissing with rain even with the air temperature below zilch - this had led to my downspouts being frozen solid and water pouring over the tops of the gutters. As the roof itself is also ice covered and the wind is blowing over 20mph there is nothing much to do about it

Nearly fell down the side door steps (amazing how you have visions of Ambulance and Hospital in a split second is it not?) saved myself by an amazing piece of foot work - then went down into the basement and tripped over my daughter's stupid Bean Bag and fell flat on my face.

Someone was definitely out to get me.........

Best, Pete.

I feel terribly mean , but I did guffaw on reading that! :) Hope you're ok and not sustained any damage from the bean bag encounter!

Guest Max Stafford

Yes, there is an element of Schadenfreude afoot here...!

Sorry Pete... :rolleyes:

It's almost time for bed as I've been up since 3.30am. I had to start work at 5am today as I had to make a long drive down to the coast on a job. The roads are bad in these parts and there's little public transport so a journey can take quite a while.

Anyway, silver linings and all that, I got finished at 2PM and was at last able to get a much-needed haircut.

Before tea, I went out for another run and managed the three miles in 36min 33secs - almost two minutes better than Sunday's time. Usain Bolts is certainly in no danger, but for a 46 year old kn@cker, that's not a bad second effort! On the return leg, I was also treated to the sight of a brilliant white meteorite hitting the upper atmosphere.

All this fitness thing must be pushing some buttons in my head too - last night I dreamt I was swimming stretches of the River Eden, alternating with running. In the dream I was doing the crawl. Curious that as I can't do the crawl, much as I'd like to!

All in all, it's been quite a positive day and I hope some of this rubs off on all my mates here. :)

Dave.

Morning All,

It is another mild day here.

Take care out there people! A lot of people seem to be having accidents at the moment. Several people I know have slipped on ice in the past few weeks and suffered various injuries from broken legs to fractured ribs.

Time for some coffee!

Have a good day everyone...

Morning..:)

Have a good day Dave. I've seen 'Night Cops' on TV just before going to sleep, so I know the natives can be a restless bunch up there. The girls seem far worse than the boys....

I guess there's not much danger of Don slipping over in the glorious sunshine of Cape Town. Jealous? Me?

Better get the tea, before Mrs S bangs on the floor...;)

Crisp and uneven here.

0.25 oktas but the sun isn't warming anything but itself.

I asked the Supermarket for 'Dab' yesterday following Jamie Oliver's sound advice.

They laughed at me.

To progress the very necessary Fish Fight (Google if you don't know) there must be a way of ring fencing no fishing areas.

Just seems like common sense to me.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

It was cold enough at 6.30 this morning for my wife's car to need its windscreen scraping. I noticed this on my way out to leave the bin bag.

Dd. I had a letter from Sainsbury the morning after the episode of Fish Fight that concluded with Jamie O cooking Dabs. The leaflet included a suggestion that I could buy Dab at Sainsbury. I shall look next time I go. I don't really like fish much but Mrs S does.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Morning All, Bright one again but decidely colder. Vacation day today so that means my activities won't be interrupted by the odd hour of work-related tosh. Even my restricted grasp of Mathematics tells me that I have to take at least 2 days a week as vacation otherwise I can't take all my leave allocation before April the 5th. It's tough. All I need now is to avoid being side-tracked into redecorating one of the bedrooms by SWMBO. She doesn't seem to understand I have far more imprtant "stuff" to do!

Have a good one all.

Cheers

Dave

Jamie O cooking Dabs.

IMHO, it is a bit of an "acquired taste", although not as bad as flounder. I used to catch them from time to time in my fishing days.

Give me plaice any day.

On the subject of dead fish being thrown back. It is more to do with the ridiculous rules that the fishermen are faced with - most of the fishermen are responsible and use trawl nets which are big enough to let the smaller fish through. That way, most of the smaller ones "get away". However, some will inevitably get caught. However, because they are "undersized" they have to be thrown back.

It would be better if the authorities went after the fleets from nations which are intent on flouting the rules... Enough said.

• RMweb Gold

IMHO, it is a bit of an "acquired taste", although not as bad as flounder. I used to catch them from time to time in my fishing days.

Give me plaice any day.

On the subject of dead fish being thrown back. It is more to do with the ridiculous rules that the fishermen are faced with - most of the fishermen are responsible and use trawl nets which are big enough to let the smaller fish through. That way, most of the smaller ones "get away". However, some will inevitably get caught. However, because they are "undersized" they have to be thrown back.

It would be better if the authorities went after the fleets from nations which are intent on flouting the rules... Enough said.

The example shown last week wasn't only about small fish getting away. If the quota for cod had already been passed any cod caught while fishing for some other species had to be chucked back and couldn't be commercially landed.