The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Pete

like the first photo,

not sure I want anything to do with the second photo... looks far too cold for me!

Stay warm and safe over there!

baz

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Morning.

Little of note today, it all kicks off tomorrow with hozzy appointments etc for two days.  Hopefully to be released into the world on my own two feet without other assistance, although some steadying may be needed for a week or two - maybe one crutch or a walking stick.

It occurred to us last night we have been married longer than any of our parents/step-parents - lots of divorce and re-marriage in both our families, later in life in the case of my parents.  I have two mothers-in-law and one I can't really count, Deb's step-father re-married after divorcing her mother ......what a nightmare.  Luckily all are far, far away.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

I love hearing Neil Nunes on Radio 4, his rich, deep Afro-Carribean voice always sounds so relaxed to me. 

Edit - found this in the Telegraph:

Ingrams had polled the readers of The Oldie, of which he is editor, to discover which radio voices they liked least. Neil Nunes, the Jamaican Radio 4 continuity announcer, came top. Robert Peston, the BBC’s business editor, was second and Sarah Montague, of Today, came third.

Ingrams, who will publish the survey in the March issue of his magazine, tells me that there “might be an element of political correctness” in the BBC’s decision not to broadcast the results.

He adds, however: “Their main concern was that they did not want to slag off their own people.”

Ingrams gives his readers free rein. One says of Nunes: “I am sure he is a delightful person, but I find his heavy Jamaican accent very irritating, especially before The Archers.”

No racism there then?  I put that in room 101 together with the people who say they can't understand Steph McGovern - of course we should all speak BBC London English I presume.  /rant.

Edited by New Haven Neil
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Sun was shining this morning but its come over a bit cloudy now. Not a lot to do today apart from shopping but I'll have to sort out a replacement shed. The swelling of my legs has disappeared this morning but I'll watch things for the next few days. Thats it for now, be back later.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I cannot stand Robert Peston's voice or anything else about the man. He is now ITV's political man although he did work for the BBC up till 2016.

Agree with BoD about John Arlott. Cricket on the radio was never the same after he went.

Edited by grandadbob

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

We had a very easy trip home. The coach to the airport arrived just as we got to the bus stop. The plane departed on time and arrived early.

Even the car park barrier recognised my number plate so I didn't have to negotiate our release.

Tony

• Like 17

I see the beast from the east is going to have another go, the coming weekend, just in time for Snowflake Sailing Clubs end of season regatta andprize giving dinner ( Guinness stew and a PuD).

When I first read the I thought dinner was a Guinness stew and a PhD...

Warm an sunny in Portland

Thanks for the beer pic, Ian. Was in a newish Edinburgh bar last Friday - craft beers in bottles with just a couple on tap. Went for the Galashiels Armadillo tap and requested a pint. "Sorry, sir, only do schooners". So that pricey £4.50 a pint turned into £4.50 for 75% pint. Grump. 

As Chris said, “there must be some kind of way out of here.....”

attachicon.gif28796004_2013476098680041_6553254184506819263_n.jpg

Best, Pete.

Always good to see a Jimi pic, Pete, thanks! Even though it's Bob Dylan's words. Can't find jackets like that anymore... His "new" album arrived this morning. Some good stuff on there but nothing to compare with those first 3 LPs.

Good morning all

Overcast here, old passport returned this morning via Royal Mail.

Like Jamie, our next anniversary is 39 years, been together for just under 40. Have known Gabe since she was 4, but not in that way. Never childhood sweethearts, but once it happened, it happened fast.

Have a good day

Mal

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

TheQ, on 12 Mar 2018 - 21:00, said:

I see the beast from the east is going to have another go, the coming weekend, just in time for Snowflake Sailing Clubs end of season regatta andprize giving dinner ( Guinness stew and a PuD).

Mal said, When I first read the I thought dinner was a Guinness stew and a PhD...

Actually the auto cockup did change pud to PHD, so i just changed the middle letter back.. hence the double capitals...

• Like 14

Happy birthday NHN...

Chewsday <ack!>

Uneventful trip to NY yesterday.

Given the weather predictions I snagged a Chevy Suburban 4W-drive, about the largest/meanest SUV I could find on the lot!

Most flights to/from Boston cancelled, most NY airport showing delays/cancellations, and the weather is hitting the eastern seaboard hard.

Up early this morning, quick OJ and yogurt before trying to head out, took about 1 mile heading EAST on Long Island before I decided it was a stupid idea, so returned to the hotel and am working from here today. Suggestions of 6+ inches of snow out where the clients new office is located, snowing all day, so I wasn't about to consider getting stuck/extra long travel this afternoon...

This, out the front door of the hotel around 8AM, doesn't look bad, YET, and it's picking up by the minute. Not quite as bad as Pete is seeing yet, but expected to get that way.

post-20244-0-75151700-1520945895_thumb.jpg

Biggest "problem" will be getting food later as the hotel only has breakfast service. Not sure whether ordering for delivery will work or just as easy to drive 1/2 mile to somewhere and pick something up, time will tell.

Jemma headed out from Heathrow today direct to MSP/home so no problems with her travel.

+1 and snowing expected to be the same pretty much all day...

Have a good Chewsday all.

• Like 5

Ian,  Ha! I stole that photo off the net.......

Talking of Dylan covers this is my second favorite one of all time. It’s really intense and the band are on fire as is Eric. Donald “Duck” Dunn” on Bass, GE Smith second guitar and I think it was Booker T on keys. Live at MSG.

Turn it up!

Best, Pete.

• Like 9

Just beer and we now have an American Echo Dot working sitting in the next brewery.

Does "Alexa, bring me another Amber Ale" work? (Be nice if it did.)

I'm sure you've noticed the change in the weather. It's very rainy today. Nice day to sit inside for a dark beer.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Hi Folks, Still a stunning afternoon here in very sunny South Wales.

Took the dogs out along the Monmouthshire canal today, but a route not normally taken. I'll need to get some photos, as one lock has a single drop approaching 20 feet, very impressive.

I ordered some spares from Bachmann, and lo & behold, they have literally 'overnighted' me. It was only a piddling amount, but, spares are spares, and the service thus far has been first- rate.

So, instead of Tuesday night television carp, I'll be putting a 56xx tank back together.

Much talk of inclement weather later, so stay safe everyone.

Cheers,

Ian.

• Like 19

Does "Alexa, bring me another Amber Ale" work? (Be nice if it did.)I'm sure you've noticed the change in the weather. It's very rainy today. Nice day to sit inside for a dark beer.

Still sunny here. Hopefully the Cascade Curtain will protect us :)

• Like 5

post-7286-0-79320200-1520961230.jpg

The German-made clock I bought from LIDL for my messing-about room is stylish and reliable, but, whenever I have to replace its batteries, the display reverts to its homeland and stays there until I can be bothered to go through the faff of resetting it. Most days, I can allow for the differences, but it's rather unfriendly on Tuesdays... 

• Like 1