The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Uhmmm, "we"?  Unless you're on the field (i.e. part of the team) it'll be "they", however much you'd like to associate yourself with the club/team/whatever :yes:

:P

I use "we" as in the "royal we"..............

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I use "we" as in the "royal we"..............

Cheers,

Mick

The club is more than just the team so a justified use perhaps!

Matthew got used to Dutch academics criticising his use of English, particularly sentence structure. So he adapted to an international English style with shorter sentences. When he moved to Ireland his supervisor (she is Irish) complained and told him to write "proper" sentences.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Uhmmm, "we"?  Unless you're on the field (i.e. part of the team) it'll be "they", however much you'd like to associate yourself with the club/team/whatever :yes:

:P

True in principle ...... but in practice it is we..... whatever the sport.... whatever the team.... whatever the level.....once you have committed your heart and soul to a team there is no escape.... even if you wanted to.

I'm a Sunderland supporter and we are in deep doo doo.

• Like 5

The club is more than just the team so a justified use perhaps!

Matthew got used to Dutch academics criticising his use of English, particularly sentence structure. So he adapted to an international English style with shorter sentences. When he moved to Ireland his supervisor (she is Irish) complained and told him to write "proper" sentences.

I remember being corrected on a point of English grammar by a German coworker. I had never heard of the rule she was explaining, but it turned she was right.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

I remember being corrected on a point of English grammar by a German coworker. I had never heard of the rule she was explaining, but it turned she was right.

When I did a French Exchange in 1967  went to school with the lad I was staying with.  In the English lesson I had to read a paragraph and got criticised by the professor for my accent and pronunciation.  

Jamie

....We waited at the bus stop afterwards with Matthew. He had to wait quite a while until one stopped as many were completely full. ....

Dublin Bus. Grim. I never used it. Either drove everywhere (thus adding to Dublin's congestion, which was chronic before LUAS, and worse whilst LUAS was being built) or walked (thus risking a random stabbing).

....I'm a Sunderland supporter and we are in deep doo doo.

Hence their ground is the Stadium Of Sh*te Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

When I did a French Exchange in 1967  went to school with the lad I was staying with.  In the English lesson I had to read a paragraph and got criticised by the professor for my accent and pronunciation.  

Jamie

"Ey up lad, it were a reet gud do" may not have been understood in Frenchland.

Cheers,

Mick

Tell me about it. The only early start this trip is tomorrow as we are on the 08.08 train to Portland. However we were awake at 4am this morning so hopefully we can get up in time for we fifteen minute walk to the old station.

A great view on our way between breweries in Tacoma this afternoon of Mount Ranier

You certainly picked a time for good weather. It's going to be great for a few days. I'm going skiing tomorrow. Must remember the sunscreen.

• Like 13

Jamie

Je ne suis q'un anglais!

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Evening everyone

Well it’s been a bit of an odd day today. After breakfast I went to the workshop to do a bit of modelling. As usual, I exited the house via the outside cellar door, that way you don’t get in Sheila’s way whilst she’s completing domestic chores in the kitchen. It looked a bit dull, but when I opened the door, I was surprised by how warm it was. I was quite comfortable in just a tee shirt (and trousers of course) and all the while I was out there I didn’t feel the need to put anything else on. However, after dinner, the sky turned very dark and it started to rain, so I stayed in and baked a cinnamon tea loaf instead.

Goodnight all.

• Like 16

I hope that it not in the sense that the late Tom Lehrer wrote about.

​If you're looking for adventure of a new and different kind

​and you come across a girl scout who is similarly inclined

don't be flustered, don't be blustered. don't be scared.

​Be Prepared.

Indeed no, but it was in the back of my mind nevertheless. I had momentarily considered posting a link to it, but in deference to Mick as a the parent of a guide I decided it would not be in the best taste. Ever since a University instructor introduced me to the Elements song, I've been a big fan of Tom Lehrer.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 11

Subduction zone earthquakes from the Juan De Fuca plate are way scarier than any volcanic eruption. Serious eruptions are quite predictable now.

In the meantime coffee in the morning and local beer (or local wine if you prefer) in the evening is the way of life in the Northwest.

• Like 11