The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

It was raining early this morning but is merely windy now. The tree surgeons have returned to work on my neighbour's trees. The wind is blowing in a more helpful direction than before.

My task today is to sort out my packing for our weekend away in Dublin.

I got some Euro yesterday and checked in online fom the flight this morning, so almost ready for our after lunchtime tomorrow departure.

Tony

I went ot check in online but Norwegian dont let you do so for our flights.

So we need to get to  the airport a bit earlier incase there is a queue. I have booked the fast track security and lounge entry. Its £32 each but does include a full breakfast that would cost a tenner or more elsewhere in the airport, so will see if this is worthwhile for future trips.

• Like 16

So do old sleepers, telegraph poles and the wooden blocks that were used to surface some roads.

As "the lad" ,when I started on the S & T dept way back in 1959, my duties were Chief Cook and bottle-washer.  Also I was expected to chop fire wood to light the three internal fires in the mess van and one external, quick boil one. If there was a surplus of fire wood, a complete  telegraph pole, I was expected to reduce it to small enough sticks to be transported home. I was shown (shewn) how to twist up a length of copper earth wire into a circle and place into it enough sticks to hold everything together. The test was, to lift the item to waist height and drop it. If it stayed together, it was safe to go. If not, start again!

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Mike. I'm going to order 2 sheets next time and see if they double the length of the package.

Meanwhile there's a works reunion later this week. We were "dis-established" 24 years ago as the cold war was over and there was no longer a significsnt threat. Hey-hope.

I may not get 2 passes out this week so unlikely I'll make the Basingstoke show.

• Like 11

.....wallabies are running wild in several places in the UK including here in Essex. Its quite amazing how well they have adapted to the cooler climate. ....

Australia's revenge for having our rabbits inflicted upon them in the 19th century.

My task today is to sort out my packing for our weekend away in Dublin

I got some Euro yesterday and checked in online fom the flight this morning, so almost ready for our after lunchtime tomorrow departure.

Didn't peg you as a Scotland fan, Tony, did you get tix for the match on Saturday? :-)

Some so-and-so reversed into our car yesterday and sped off; front wing scratched and dented. Grrr!

Middle-class problems: no homous/hummus in local Morrison's or Sainsbury's.

Beautiful day here, plenty of warmish sunshine

Hope you have some to enjoy

Mal

BIN day.........................aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

The sorry story of "BINs".

Our eco-friendly local business garbage collector was bought out by a huge conglomerate just after the New Year. They're expensive, non-eco friendly and frankly a mafiaesque operation. We chose to switch to another local organization who many others recommended/use.

In due course the conglomerate "Waste Management" were supposed to pick up our old BINs when the service switched March 1st. We dutifully left said BINs at kerbside for pickup.

Along with several other on the street, the BINs are still there. A clutter, nuisance for snow removal services AND technically according to city bylaws we could be fined for having them on the street more than 24-hours before/after BIN day!

So, we now have FIVE BINs, two from the new vendor (garbage, organic waste), one recycle, and two derelict.

I've informed the conglomerate that if they're not picked up by Monday, I will have them disposed of at THEIR COST, per the city instructions (well, poetic license/white lie here, but THEY won't know!!) and was informed by "Samantha" that "...they are already due to be picked up today..." YA RIGHT!!!!

Here's hoping the actually DO disappear today. :triniti:  :butcher:  :rtfm:

All quite yesterday, nothing to report.

Still a bit nippy here at -11 and sunny, though will warm to a heady -1 later ;)

Nearly POETS, let's hope all the BINs are correctly processed before then.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Definitely went to the correct branch of Waitrose as two 'real' trains were seen (i.e the sort with locos at the head) and one of 'em was a double-header.  However the inefficiency of their new staffing arrangements at Bracknell distribution centre is yet again increasingly obvious with quite a lot of under-stocked or near empty shelves of everyday foodstuffs.

• Like 12

Definitely went to the correct branch of Waitrose as two 'real' trains were seen (i.e the sort with locos at the head) and one of 'em was a double-header.  However the inefficiency of their new staffing arrangements at Bracknell distribution centre is yet again increasingly obvious with quite a lot of under-stocked or near empty shelves of everyday foodstuffs.

Mike

This could still be knock-ons from the wintry weather last week. We still have low-stocked shelves here - and nae homous anywhere...!

Mal

• RMweb Premium

There was a Black Five on the Down Slow out of Ealing Broadway this morning. Didn't catch the number as it went under the Longfield Avenue bridge.

There was a dark maroon 47 on that train when it passed me. After the control room had announced it as “The steam train now arriving at platform 16 ..... “.

Morning all. Afternoon, then, if you insist. Either way nothing of consequence to report. Which is probably a Good Thing.

• Like 17

Afternoon all,

Worryingly I may have been slandered on a model railway related issue. The tittle tattle was told to a third party, who won't give me the details, and anyway I cannot discuss on a social medium. But your support would be much appreciated.

Chris, I have received two warrants from those awfully nice people in Glasgow.

Generally, I have been advised by BT that my latest direct debit has failed and could I provide them with my account details. At least matsuda-at-hokuchin.co.jp made a decent fist of the logo etc., the attempt of shinobu-at-snow-eaters.com was just naff.

Best wishes all, Bill

Mike

This could still be knock-ons from the wintry weather last week. We still have low-stocked shelves here - and nae homous anywhere...!

Mal

Houmus in Scotland? What has happened to the deep-fried Mars Bars?

Bill

Roofers finished for the day and gone home. They have made good progress with one gable end stripped of slates and felt, new breathable felt laid down and battens fitted, so at least we should be waterproof if it rains tonight. I have removed the nails out of all the laths removed. The better quality laths will be reused to help secure some additional insulation in some parts of the house. I am now knackered, and all the fresh air today has made me really hungry! SWMBO is cooking a turkey cobbler, so I hope that there is plenty of it.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Like Jamie, I was greeted with the unforecast white stuff.

So I joined Mrs and Junior NB for a walk to wife's work before phoning in to say I was on a snow day.

This was the main road through the village. There was no snow at 6am - this was 8.15am

post-408-0-22279100-1520529974_thumb.jpg

Total chaos as the wet snow underneath was compacted into ice with fresh snow still falling. We tried to help the Audi driver, but as he had no idea what his clutch foot was for and just spun the wheels, we gave up on him once we'd got him parallel to the kerb.

This was the queue waiting to go up the hill.

In the meantime another Audi (TT 4x4) put his foot down, all wheels spinning and motored past me, only to be stopped by the stationary queue. Which was trying to get past a cement lorry that had slid across the mini roundabout further up the road.

post-408-0-81983300-1520529974_thumb.jpg

I rang into to work to say I couldn't make it to be greeted with a "what snow" as Settle had had none whatsoever.

At wife's work, after the snow stopped, I went for a wander on the golf course for a few pictures.

The 8th

post-408-0-69122900-1520529975_thumb.jpg

1st

post-408-0-20647100-1520529976_thumb.jpg

And no chance of using one of these today.......

post-408-0-78003900-1520529976_thumb.jpg

As it started to thaw very rapidly, I then set off to work about 11am. At least the minimal traffic didn't have too much of a delay with the diversion for the closed A59 from last night.

Once I'd cleared the diversion, there was no evidence of snow at all.

Catch up later.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 19

Four-wheel drive isn't much use without good snow tires. On one occasion I slid backwards down a hill in a Volvo XC70 with all four wheels turning forwards :)  I was able to back it into a snow bank and it did a neat 180 degree flip that let me go back down the hill forwards. The three lady passengers in the car were all screaming. One even tried to open a door to get out!

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Trains up Creek at LBG tonight. One we have been catching is cancelled and another running fast to Oxted so on a rammed Caterham service.

Handed a survey as we got on. Love this bit of it. No surprise which bit I ticked

post-1557-0-66134200-1520530330_thumb.jpg

Edited by roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

Bill

The latter have been exported to the Thames Valley and are now offered by our local chippy, fortunately they continue to offer cod & chips as well.

Mention of 'unforecast snow' oop north puzzles me as there was a yellow warning out for it yesterday on the Met Office website ( the only yellow warning for tomorrow is in Scotland, sorry any folks north of the Central Lowlands).

Mike

Mal

Just part of the continuing malaise down here Mal - Waitrose stocking in this part of the world seems to have become a right lottery since the firm laddo worked for lost the casual labour contract for the Bracknell distribution centre.  It is part of a major screwing down of costs in their distribution chain and it's something all the supermarkets are doing in their various ways.  For example Tesco here have cut out the night shift that used to refill the shelves overnight although the only impact they appear to have suffered from the weather was running out of milk on Monday and not having very much on the shelves on Tuesday - plenty of fruit and veg, meat and fish in stock all through the bad weather and now.

• Like 14

Oh don't worry, it's still covered in batter!

Just part of the continuing malaise down here Mal - Waitrose stocking in this part of the world seems to have become a right lottery since the firm laddo worked for lost the casual labour contract for the Bracknell distribution centre.  It is part of a major screwing down of costs in their distribution chain and it's something all the supermarkets are doing in their various ways.  For example Tesco here have cut out the night shift that used to refill the shelves overnight although the only impact they appear to have suffered from the weather was running out of milk on Monday and not having very much on the shelves on Tuesday - plenty of fruit and veg, meat and fish in stock all through the bad weather and now.

Mmm, that's a pity - having heard that John Lewis/Waitrose are 22% down in profits shows what a sorry state the retail sector is in with the double whammy of online and the poor exchange rate. I like the John Lewis/Waitrose chain because they (usually) offer quality at reasonable prices - all right then, I used to work for them and they pay my pension!

We have to replace our bannisters. Have approached several joiners who aren't interested, a Polish one who is but can't supply samples because they're in Poland, and Neville-Johnson and Abbott-Wade who are interested but who are a bit pricey. Anyone used NJ or AW and how good are they?

Ah, Hitchhikers is back!

Mal

• Like 5

Just got power back after Nor’easter yesterday. Had about 10 inches of the white stuff. Lots of power problems in area because it was heavy thick, dense snow that stuck to everything. Problem was trees falling onto power lines (although it was not a windy as last week’s one). Completely different kind of snow (the old SR would have loved it). 

Took the dog out last night and it was very dangerous;  big cracks in the air followed followed by earthshaking thumps. Scared the crap out of our Westie (not to mention me).

Anyway I was downstairs reading about the Virginia Campaigns from the Civil War in front of a log fire  when the whole house suddenly came alive! Great sensation as they had told us not to expect much before Saturday (crews overwhelmed).

Three cheers for PSE&G!

Best, Pete.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Evenin' each,

The minor hiccup in my quest for a new car has been resolved and an order has been placed!    :yes:

I did say that I wasn't going to rush into it but on Tuesday after a test drive I fell in love with something.  :maninlove:

I also said the following:                                                                                                                                                     

"Main criteria apart from liking the look and driveability of it are:                                                                                         Definitely! I think it's a lovely car, nippy enough for me and                                                                                                                                                                                                       really nice to drive.

1. I need to be able to afford to buy and then run it. (Sounds obvious but it would be easy to get carried away)               Errrm- I won't actually own it for some time.

2. Automatic with preferably a petrol engine.                                                                                                                       Yes.

3. Higher ride height than my Focus.                                                                                                                                   Yes but only just - about a couple of inches.

4. Reasonable rear seat leg room for adults.                                                                                                                       OK for 2 , will be a squeeze for 3.

5. A few "bells & whistles" without being stupid about it."                                                                                                    Lots of them, some I've never heard of, a stupid amount but I don't care.

This is the first and probably the last time I will ever purchase a brand new car myself* so in the end I thought "Why not?"

My new steed will be a Seat Arona and is due in about June.

*Had quite a few bought by the firm.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Evenin' each,

The minor hiccup in my quest for a new car has been resolved and an order has been placed!    :yes:

I did say that I wasn't going to rush into it but on Tuesday after a test drive I fell in love with something.  :maninlove:

I also said the following:                                                                                                                                                     

"Main criteria apart from liking the look and driveability of it are:                                                                                         Definitely! I think it's a lovely car, nippy enough for me and                                                                                                                                                                                                       really nice to drive.

1. I need to be able to afford to buy and then run it. (Sounds obvious but it would be easy to get carried away)               Errrm- I won't actually own it for some time.

2. Automatic with preferably a petrol engine.                                                                                                                       Yes.

3. Higher ride height than my Focus.                                                                                                                                   Yes but only just - about a couple of inches.

4. Reasonable rear seat leg room for adults.                                                                                                                       OK for 2 , will be a squeeze for 3.

5. A few "bells & whistles" without being stupid about it."                                                                                                    Lots of them, some I've never heard of, a stupid amount but I don't care.

This is the first and probably the last time I will ever purchase a brand new car myself* so in the end I thought "Why not?"

My new steed will be a Seat Arona and is due in about June.

*Had quite a few bought by the firm.

Is it available in my favourite colour "doesn't show the dirt metallic" grey?
  • Like 1