The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Evening everyone

Another beautiful sunny day here in the northwest. Straight after breakfast I finished undercoating the bookcase. Once that was done it was off to the Trafford Centre for a few bits a pieces. She also wanted to get a card for Sarah, as she was taken into to hospital on Monday. She went to see her GP on Monday morning, he took a look at her, phoned up the local hospital and told her to go straight there and she has been in ever since. They are not 100% sure of what is wrong with her, but they are treating her with suspected meningitis and as such she is also isolated from other patients. Needless to say, Mike is very worried about her, as are we.

At dinner time as Sheila was stood at the sink washing her hands, she saw a very small bird darting about in the buddleia bush. I quickly identified as a gold crest, it’s only the second time I’ve seen one in the garden, she got quite excited.

Goodnight all.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Evening everyone

Another beautiful sunny day here in the northwest. Straight after breakfast I finished undercoating the bookcase. Once that was done it was off to the Trafford Centre for a few bits a pieces. She also wanted to get a card for Sarah, as she was taken into to hospital on Monday. She went to see her GP on Monday morning, he took a look at her, phoned up the local hospital and told her to go straight there and she has been in ever since. They are not 100% sure of what is wrong with her, but they are treating her with suspected meningitis and as such she is also isolated from other patients. Needless to say, Mike is very worried about her, as are we.

At dinner time as Sheila was stood at the sink washing her hands, she saw a very small bird darting about in the buddleia bush. I quickly identified as a gold crest, it’s only the second time I’ve seen one in the garden, she got quite excited.

Goodnight all.

How did you find time for work before retirement........?

Cheers

Mick

Good morning one and all

I was dashing away with the smoothing iron yesterday afternoon and inevitably the old song from childhood entered my head.  Singing it is something [else] that I leave to the experts.  For that song I have someone in mind.  She is the only international woman I know [see what I did there?].  Her name is Miriam Erasmus.  Forty plus years ago it was Miriam Backhouse, very much the darling of the folk club circuit.  When she married John and emigrated to South Africa she broke many hearts, including mine.  Time and several reunions combine to be a great healer.   In June she is giving a concert in Milton Keynes.  I want to attend and surprise her one more time but the task of getting a ticket without her finding out is going to be interesting.

Another train of thought was let loose yesterday at lunchtime.  I decided to have some luxury fish cakes with far from luxury chips.  The label on the packet reads: "Two smoked haddock fishcakes.  Caught in the wild".   Off I went again, recalling an LP by Miles Wootton called "The great fish finger disaster". The title track, inspired by the cod wars with Iceland, told of the trawler and its crew who set sail from Basingstoke [yes, really] to catch fish fingers and plough the raging main while they were about it.  Now had I been in the bottom set for French instead of the top, Miles would have taught me for a year.  He was last heard of in Brighton and may be no longer with us.

While you despair of my thought processes, I have to focus on today's meeting in London.  Apparently it will comprise well-known members of the HMRS, so what am I doing there? I might be able to answer that tomorrow unless I am sworn to secrecy.  Hold that notion and join me in warm thoughts to the ailing, recovering and missing.

Chris 

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Stand well Back folks...

Dad volunteered for Porton Down once, well his girlfriend lived nearby.... My mum..

I've worked the other side of the A338 at Boscombe Down,

I've sat on a park Bench, in that park eating my chinese takeaway.

One cockwomble going home, obviously navigating by being told what to do by her in the box. He passed all the signs, saying road layout changed, Rackheath turn right, complete with a new centre turning lane. Passed that, and started turning right at the old road, pity it's all blocked off kerbed up and one day may have grass on it.. Anyway he came to a stand still blocking both lanes, with me behind him. Before he got his brain in gear and turned back into our lane and driving on to the next turning, No doubt with her in the box saying ... Recalculating route...

Mooring awl, Inner temple here,

A very poor nights sleep was had, maybe 4 hours , not good...

I couldn't get into work this morning, until someone let me in, I got to my desk to find my door card on it... Thats another forum which has a thread at the moment..you know your getting old when...

Time to.. go see if the Automatic run over night worked...

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, 

'twas going to be a "working from home" day today. But the sight of a skip on the neighbour's drive heralds the start of the start of their extension build.

So, with the fence coming down and my plants being trampled on, their roots cut through and builders busting up the ground for foundations all day I decided my conference calls would be better held in the peace and quiet of the office. 

More plywood was glued last night.  

And on that note i ordered a large sheet of 2mm cork from Amazon. 

Now, in my imagination I sought of assumed that it would come rolled up. 

Not so. I got home to find a 1.5m x 1m flat cardboard package in the hallway. Doh.

• RMweb Gold

Morning from a cooler but sunny Surrey.

Not a very good nights sleep for me either. Spent a few hours looking up good pubs around West Yorkshire. Quite few new places to visit since our last trip.

Also read a number of posts in the bad weather thread about the Lewisham incident last week. Avoided posting though

Will need to check in and print boarding passes today. Bags packed although there is plenty of room in them that will soon disappear. A trip is planned to Caboose Hobbies new store. Could get expensive.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Plenty of rain overnight but the sky is now blue and there is sunshine. More showers and a bright and breezy day forecast.

The bin men are currently making a noise outside. Regrettably this is not the week for the bottle bin which is full after Joe's birthday party. I'll have to bring on a sub.

There has been a slight hiccup in the new car saga which hopefully will be put right this morning.

First duty of the day though is the main trip to Sainsbury's. As usual I will try to outwit management by adding "goodies" to the trolley. I managed to do this yesterday in another supermarket so she may well be keeping her eye on me.  :nono:  :threaten:  :girldevil:

Time for breakfast so...

..have a good one.

Bob.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Morning.  Bright and cold out, -1c and very hard frost.

ChrisF's words have triggered a female singer in my head now too, Annie Haslam from Renaissance. Azure D'or album in particular for some reason.  She has a tremendous range, and....I really had the hots for her when I was a teenager!

We have wild wallabies here, some escaped from the wildlife park years ago, and they find the climate of the sunny northern plain of Fraggle Rock to their liking and have bred well.  A quiet walk through the claddaghs (a very unspoilt, slightly boggy meadow area) of an evening can result in a sighting.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Morning All

Our one lie in this week before the last writing class of this course, and we were as usual awake by half past six, decided to enjoy a lie in, and next door's garage erectors arrived about half seven, and promptly started to unload with much peeping and revving of the lorry as the hoist was operated - we are now having loads of banging about.  And now we are promised some previously unforecast white stuff from the sky this morning.  Correction, we aren't thanks Met Office changing it to sleet.

Chris - I think that we have discussed Miriam here before, as I used to see her in the clubs on the other side of the Thames - Waddon Hotel at Croydon, and the Rising Sun in Catford come to mind.  And Miles did have a quite perverse sense of humour as some of his ditties showed.

Neil - I also admired Annie Haslam whose voice made the hair at the back of my neck stand up on end, I still have a Renaissance album A Song For All Seasons in my case, and it still gets a listen or two.  Must did it out again. 

And of course generic greetings to everybody else who is ailing or celebrating.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a rather snowy village.   several inches of unforecast white stuff. DiL is stuck on a bus on her way home from a  gym in Leeds. There was nothing when she set off at 6.   The view out of the window currently looks like this.

post-6824-0-28435600-1520498355_thumb.jpg

Hopefully we will all get to the funeral later.   Perhaps the obstroculous ones won't.

Regards to all

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

However we had some Lancashire sunshine on our day out yesterday and for HH's benefit here is a rather poor view of the Ordsall Chord. Taken out of a rather grimy 158.

post-6824-0-10498200-1520498813_thumb.jpg

A good day out was had.

Jamie

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Lost an hour and 10 minutes due to an MS update, which stopped me using the computer, 4 more now being downloaded, at least it's letting me use the computer now, excuse me while I type in the next Measurement.

• Like 2

Morning all,

Roof replacement has started in earnest this morning following construction of scaffold yesterday. Half of one gable end has been stripped and the reasons for water inleakage are clear. When the roof was put up 45 years ago, the roof nails were hammered through the waterproof felt, creating leak paths. As I have a woodburner in the house, I am keeping the old laths, so have been pulling nails out of them as the roofers take them off. Many of the laths are also in a very poor state, with rotten wood, corroded nails, and many are pretty damp. The new laths have all been pressure treated, and are a blue colour, which I haven’t seen before.

Part of yesterday was spent stripping a Bachmann Class 55, which wasn’t running well. It appeared to have pickup issues. Now reassembled, and will be tested at the Club tonight. Fingers being crossed that it runs well now!

Coffee has now been consumed, and there are more old laths to pull nails out of, so my morning rest is over!

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. The wind is blowing hard outside but its quite mild. Neil, wallabies are running wild in several places in the UK including here in Essex. Its quite amazing how well they have adapted to the cooler climate. Getting prepared for a visit to the East Anglian model railway exhibition this Saturday, trying to work out if I can fit the walker into the car with only one half of the back seat folded down.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

I can remember removing nails from laths when I was about 10, the council replaced the rooves on our street, they were then used on the fire along with the cedar shingles that were removed... They burnt worryingly welll

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

I can remember removing nails from laths when I was about 10, the council replaced the rooves on our street, they were then used on the fire along with the cedar shingles that were removed... They burnt worryingly welll

So do old sleepers, telegraph poles and the wooden blocks that were used to surface some roads.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

It was raining early this morning but is merely windy now. The tree surgeons have returned to work on my neighbour's trees. The wind is blowing in a more helpful direction than before.

My task today is to sort out my packing for our weekend away in Dublin.

I got some Euro yesterday and checked in online fom the flight this morning, so almost ready for our after lunchtime tomorrow departure.

Tony

• Like 17