The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Mor

Shetland, well we better not go there.)

:) :)

Shetland is almost as far from Edinburgh as London and is closer to mainland Norway, too, I think.

Woken in the night by the unusual sound of heavy rain which has cleared most of the snow from roofs. What a week of weather! Buses now back to normal after a weekend of Sunday services.

Popping down to the bank which is closing for good tomorrow to pay in the cheque that I would've paid in on Friday had they been open. It's not a rural closure, either. Bank of Scotland, RBS and Lloyds/TSB are the nearby branches to have shut in the last year. Still, it'll keep the directors accustomed to their large bonuses... Where did we go wrong in our career choices?

Putting central heating back to its normal routine.

Have a good day

Mal

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

With all the gloom & doom on this thread and horrible weather how about this a nice sunny day in St Austell Cornwall.

post-8647-0-19087100-1520243714_thumb.jpg

D Bailey

Edited by 81C
  • Like 17

Mor

Shetland is almost as far from Edinburgh as London and is closer to mainland Norway, too, I think.

What always amuses me is, that if you drive from the south coast of England to the border with Scotland, it is almost as far again to John O'Groats

• Like 10

Beth has departed to meet her friend at Asda then to take her step mum shopping. I will await further reports on the seating wars. A plan has finally been produced but the awkward BiL gets back from Tenerife sometime today or tomorrow so the truce may not endure. I think that my day out riding trains on Wednesday (The day before the funeral) may have been a fortunate date to have arranged with my mate.

Apart from that I now really do have something to look forward to.  A guy that I knew at school who's a friend on FB wanted someone to go to see the Strolling Bones with in Manchester.   Tickets have been procured and I am going to see them on 5th June.   I managed to see one Beatle, Paul McCartney in his first ever concert with Wings, that cost me all of 50p. I managed to see the Who Live in Leeds a couple of years ago so in my confused mined the Stones complete the set of the big three.  All being well another tick on the bucket list.

Jamie

Hope things go well this week, Jamie. You may have your work cut-out.

Speaking of tickets for bands we bought a couple for Noel Gallagher at Edinburgh Castle in July - any of you following the Liam and Noel spat? Both appear to be aged 45 going-on 8. Tried for some Proclaimers tix, too at the Playhouse in November but both dates are sold-out, only for said tix to on sale online at 3 to 4 times the price. Humbug!

The UK is quite a fair way north. Edinburgh is further north than Moscow and if it wasn't for the Gulf Stream we would all be under several feet of snow and ice.

Please don't turn it off... same latitude as Copenhagen but further south than Oslo and Stockholm... just!

Mal

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

What always amuses me is, that if you drive from the south coast of England to the border with Scotland, it is almost as far again to John O'Groats

Amusing no, B*****Y tiriing yes...

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Morning All

Finally caught up, and will risk my one two and only venture onto the Debs/HH annoyance zone.

attachicon.gif010.JPG

attachicon.gif003.JPG

Now then, I see that Debs' FB page is a bit revived, and hopefully will have more content soon.

Generic greetings to all.

Back tomorrow?

Regards to All

Stewart,

ps for the interested, this is a private garden line nearby.

Stewart, that happens to be a fine example of engineering and not an electric mouse.

Sorry, but no vegetable or an inanimate probing device required!

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

It has always amazed me how much further you still have to go once you have reached Inverness.  I think those silly squashed maps of the British Isles used by most media have misled people for a long time now.

....... and yes we have a lot for which to thank the Gulf Stream.  I'm not surprised the A1 was closed last week.

post-7191-0-89036800-1520246952.jpg

This was only yesterday.

Most of the snow has gone here - what is left is mostly that which has been piled up where people have cleared paths and drives.

We are dog sitting so I need to head out for a walk. A good thing really as I would probably be tempted to stay in otherwise.

Enjoy the rest of your day.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Morning everyone

A lovely sunny day and not a sign of frost or snow, but it was still only 3C. Just sat down with a muggertea after having spent a couple of hours in the attic painting furniture again.

We’ve had condensing boilers now for over 15 years, (this is currently our second) and it’s the first time the condensate pipe has frozen. But as the easterly wind from Siberia (with the wind chill making it about -8C) was blowing directly on the pipe as it exited our building, it’s no surprise that it froze!

Anyway I’m back off upstairs to continue painting.

Back later

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Good luck on your car hunt GDB, do report back please.

Mrs H has decided a Skoda Yeti is probably the car for her, they need to become a little cheaper for us at the moment though.  By the time of actual purchase late this year or early next they will be within her budget I hope.  No chance of a new one of course, having been superseded, and our pockets not being deep enough anyway. 

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Oh no Mick we're not back to Felching again.Jamie

That’s what happens when you get lost in the byways of Sussex. Where every place name seems to contain an -ing

Morning all. Beautiful Spring day here. Daffs are dilling, birds are trilling, the first sleeveless top / short skirt combo of the year was sighted boarding a train for Waterloo.

In deference to my ancestry I should wish onen hag oll gool Peran lowen today. That is a Happy St. Piran’s Day to one and all. Pasties are ready to bake tonight. The Cornish everyday tartan tie shall be sported. St. Austell ales shall be quaffed though I promise not to end up “drunk as a Perraner” to use a local expression.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Oh, I'm getting worried now, thought I was safe down here in the far south east corner...... and this threat of "Ashford" is double worrying especially as I am not aware of the previous happenings in Ashford :scared: . Am I safe from the carrot or whatever.......

Keith

Keith, I never went to the Ashford that is being talked about.  but as far as I know it was some sort of joint services centre where members of HM Forces were given practical instruction in resisting interrogation techniques.  The students did not have a very high opinion of the staff and I believe that our HH was a staff member at one time. He has informed us that most of the site has now become a housing estate.   So worry not Keith.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I had to read that twice..........

:)

Mick

Own up, Mick, you were the only one to have to…  :nono: :jester:

A'noon awl. Straddling 10°C, above zero, that is. Was so good to be able to leave off the thickest clothes for a change!

Throat bug seems to be fading, too. I'm sleeping like a proverbial rock these days, though, so I guess I needed rest dearly…

I'll also be cheeky and sneak this in:

For context: 31 of the IK Stock small profile sets currently under procurement for Berlin will be booked on the large profile lines for a number of years in order to alleviate stock shortages, pending procurement of corresponding large profile stock which but has yet to be ordered. Those IKs deputising outside the small profile lines had temporary bodyside gap bridges added, and also required spacers to raise floor height to large profile standards. Furthermore, bottom contact shoegear was fitted in lieu of top contact gear.

These modifications but are all reversible as these stop-gap IK Stock sets will transfer back to the small profile once sufficient availability of new large profile J Stock, as it is likely to be called, can be ensured. Per current plans, the first J Stock delivery is expected by 2021 or 2022.

• Like 8

Dry and relatively mild here today. Walk on the beach completed this morning - just. SWMBO decided that she would join me, but only after the washing machine had finished, and washing pegged out. This meant getting out 40 minutes after I had planned, so we only just managed to beat the incoming tide. There was some muttering about why didn’t I tell her that the tide was coming in!!

I was pretty knackered after the walk, as my blood counts will be low just now. To help my recovery, I am watching the Channel 5 programme about the NYMR.

• RMweb Gold

Keith, I never went to the Ashford that is being talked about.  but as far as I know it was some sort of joint services centre where members of HM Forces were given practical instruction in resisting interrogation techniques.  The students did not have a very high opinion of the staff and I believe that on HH was a staff member at one time. He has informed us that most of the site has now become a housing estate.   So worry not Keith.

Jamie

Hi Jamie,

Thanks for the information, amazing what you learn on Early Risers!!

HH is certainly right when he says that the site has become a housing estate.... as has the rest of Ashford..... and they are still building more houses or car showrooms. The only time I normally turn off the M20 around Ashford is when I need to visit the Mercedes-Benz Showroom/Service Centre which is situated the opposite side of Ashford to Templar Barracks and the JSIW.

Keith

• Like 11