The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Mawnin' awl. Outside sensor reports 2.2°C. Way-hey!

Slept fairly long and starting to feel better, thankfully. Annika seems to have contracted a sniffle as well, though I have a feeling that she'll be fully recovered much faster than us adults…at least faster than me in any case. Elise is fairly robust also, at least in part most likely due to the continuous exposure to childrens' bugs at the nursery.

Now tidying up some, then perhaps to warm up some leftovers from last night.

Be well, everyone. Later…

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Warming up quite well here, the central heating is no longer trying to reach escape velocity. Speaking of which, I have an evaporation boiler but the condensation drain pipe goes straight into a convenient waste pipe from the bathroom and all inside the house so no problems with freezing. ChrisF, I too intend to visit the East Anglian show, I will be accompanied by my friend and his young son who will be 10 years old on the day so if you see a young lad with a badge proclaiming that he is 10 years old the wizzened old git with him will be me.

• Like 4

great to see the correct spillong of SHEWED! Why does everyone use an O rather than the E?

"Shewed" is to my mind an archaic spelling with "Showed" now being considered correct usage by custom and practice.  Just as many of us, probably all, would use "shown" and not "shewn".

David Todd of the RMW parish also uses shew and shewn. David took daily pics of the Dover sea wall repair a year or two ago. He also has a fabulous Dover Priory layout.

However, like Rick, I think that language moves on; no disrespect to those who use shew, but most of us use show nowadays. Both are understandable.

No thaw here yet, it was snowing a few minutes ago. Our highs this week are meant to be around 4C or 5C which should be high enough to see some melting. It's been fun for a day or two but glad it's going. Roll on equinoxical spring. Then a few days later the clocks go forward, woohoo!

Stay warm

Mal

Edited by Purley Oaks
  • Like 19

I have never understood why some customers just don't get that - once it leaves the premises, we can't really do anything about it, it is in the hands of the Post Office...or whoever you use...who are probably battling through snowdrifts in very trying conditions.  99 out of 100 are fine, but the odd one...sheesh, as you say!!!

If a customer requests what is advertised as next business day delivery, I always confirm it as 'subject to the machinations of our courier it SHOULD be with you by ...'! Customer has paid £4.95 for a £7.50 service!

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps I should send recalcitrant to Ashford Richard (HH)

The whole site has been raised flat and now only Repton Manor remains.

I presume it will one day just be yet another commuter village for London.

Although I'm sure some snowflakes would be having nightmares if they knew that where they were sleeping was above the JSIW.

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

The whole site has been raised flat and now only Repton Manor remains.

I presume it will one day just be yet another commuter village for London.

Although I'm sure some snowflakes would be having nightmares if they knew that where they were sleeping was above the JSIW.

I thought that you'd pick up on that one Richard. Dave (Supersonic) was with me at Kettering yesterday and spent over an hour talking to a guy from Finney7 who had been a Buccaneer and then Hercules pilot and who had also experienced Ashford, so the topic cropped up in conversation on the way home.

Ian, love the picture of the Big Boy but dare I say it I've got an O gauge one sitting here at the moment. Shhh someone near me might see it.

Jamie

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

As it was bright and sunny earlier Aditi suggested we should go for a walk as it was such a lovely day. Then it started raining. Then Matthew sent a Skype message to say that all his links to family WhatsApp groups had disappeared and could I add him back please. Eventually sorted out. University reopens tomorrow. Dublin is just slushy now.

If it stops raining after lunch, Aditi has suggested a walk. I think it looks as if it will rain for hours.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Look away now if you do not want to see my Bigboy

Well, I'll sneak in something else as well, then… :jester:

img_7050fyu10.jpg

E 16 07 is an older Roco release from 2004 but still stands up well, I think. Note that the E 16 was the only German class with Buchli transmissions, whose gear casings are only on the locomotive's left side relative to the "Forward" cab. Up until the late 1940s and early 1950s, it was common to designate cabs as "Forward" and "Rear", hence the letters "V" and "H" (Vorne/Hinten).

E 16 07 is on display at the Lokwelt Freilassing, a museum jointly operated by the German Museum of Munich and the city of Freilassing. However, for my purposes, it'd be an ideal heritage locomotive.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon awl,

Slightly misty this morning as i set off for the sailing club.

One A road is a real snow trap, this morning a stretch of about half a mile was still single carriageway, with the odd passing place cut in the snow. The snow being higher than the Landrover.

On the way back, this was a major problem with the people who were not used to single track roads were driving past the passing places and causing chaos.

Getting the rescue boat out meant digging the snow out of the boats.

Bouys placed, I saw a kingfisher while out there.

I also noticed a club members motor boat had a large open window on its eastern side... There were no foot prints in the snow, so I shut the window. I told one of his friends so he sent a suitably insulting text to the owner..

Sadly no other Yeoman competitor decided to race, so we didn't rig up our boat.

One of our better competitors who hasn't been there for a while did turn up but only to clear snow from his boat. He revealed why he hadn't been there for some weeks. His son (aged 50) was cycling to work just over 3 weeks ago and was run over by a hit and run lorry. His son came out of intensive care yesterday into high dependency.

After sorting his boat and a coffee he was off to hospital.

With no one to play with. We had another coffee and went home.

• RMweb Premium

People who insist on using archaic spellings in a modern context should be sent to gaol!

I was going to mention that - we have a Court here, which is the 'Court of General Gaol'.  But the establishment in Jurby is a Jail.....

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Some people are very lucky that I am currently suffering from a sore eye socket, so looking at certain posts brings tears to my eye.

Those whom are posting pictures of forbidden fruit are reminded that today's enforcer's fruit of choice is Buddha's Hand and is shewn here:

220px-Buddhas_hand_1.jpg

This will bring tears to your eyes, so we remain even.

Edited by Happy Hippo

• RMweb Gold

Some people are very lucky that I am currently suffering from a sore eye socket, so looking at certain posts brings tears to my eye.

Those whom are posting pictures of forbidden fruit are reminded that today's enforcer's fruit of choice is Buddha's Hand and is shewn here:

220px-Buddhas_hand_1.jpg

This will bring tears to your eyes, so we remain even.

I had to Google your latest fruit as I wasnt sure of its size. Is it a popular item in the Telford region?
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I was going to mention that - we have a Court here, which is the 'Court of General Gaol'.  But the establishment in Jurby is a Jail.....

Are you sure it's not the establishment in Gurby is a Gaol...

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Some people on here are sailing too close to the wind...you know the rules about the thread...

But you can post about other things like...beer.

We visited the Brewers Coperative last night. They had an impressive display of beers including Imperial Russian Stout and an Oatmeal Stout. Very nice and my beer was accompanied by Salt and Pepper squid. Yummy!

Off on a bus tour later so stay safe everyone!

Baz

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

While I'm still relatively safe from vegetable insertions I'll raise you an O gauge Big Boy that I'm dreaming about.

I better beware though as Richard might send me to Ashford.

Jamie

• Like 15