The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

the most dangerous mammal in Africa is ho-mo sapiens. This species invented methods to indiscriminatory kill remotely in vast quantities :rolleyes:

And which other species not only slaughters others to extinction but is responsible for indiscriminatory and (quite literally) discriminatory mass killings of its own?

We have a lot to answer for. In some instances I suspect there is no sane answer.

• RMweb Premium

Snip<

We had at least three calls from customers asking where their orders were. Despite our telling them that they were posted out on Tuesday and that the UK weather hasn't been the best.

"I asked for RM48" delivery so you should be complaining to the post office" from one guy. Sheesh.

Back later, I have a drink to pour.

Cheers,

Mick

I have never understood why some customers just don't get that - once it leaves the premises, we can't really do anything about it, it is in the hands of the Post Office...or whoever you use...who are probably battling through snowdrifts in very trying conditions.  99 out of 100 are fine, but the odd one...sheesh, as you say!!!

"Shewed" is to my mind an archaic spelling with "Showed" now being considered correct usage by custom and practice.  Just as many of us, probably all, would use "shown" and not "shewn". 

You lot need some serious speeling lessons. It's not "spelt", it's "spelled" (etc, etc.) Fred Schonell (an Australian no less) must be doing a gyro in his grave.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Evening everyone

Well as expected the boiler engineer didn’t turn up yesterday, but as I’ve already mentioned the M62 was shut all day yesterday (it was still shut at midnight) and the are located on the other side of the Pennines.

Not a lot has happened since this yesterday morning, I’ve mainly tidied up the mess from Thursday, I then cleaned my paint brushes out as I won’t be using them until Monday at the latest. Today however, I’ve spent most of the day in the cellar, continuing to tidy the area under the stairs. The area is now completely cleared, with the exception of a few items that are being stored there until they go back to the attic. So I’ve now got quite a bit of stuff to go to the tip, which I’m hoping to get rid of some time next week. The next task that will need doing is to start stripping the paint of the cellar walls and pulling down the ceiling. Out of these are tasks that I’m not looking forward to, but the tanking slurry I intend to put on the walls, can only be applied on bare bricks, so the paint will have to come off, but thankfully only the bottom 3 ft, the rest I can just cover with the plasterboard.

Not had chance to catch up with all the posts, I’ve read all of Friday’s, I’ve just go to read today’s (Saturday’s), hopefully I’ll try to catch up tomorrow.

The weather has warmed up a bit today, it has been 1C for most part of the day, the wind has also died down and the snow here has almost gone, even the snow the wind hadn’t blow away has now thawed, I can even see the grass in the back garden now. If it continues to stay warm, I might reattach the condensate pipe to the boiler tomorrow morning if the temperature stays above zero.

Goodnight all.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

I recognise a few of the people in that photo. I liked playing with American trains once but it all got too difficult.

Gee, I know the feeling... :scared:

Nothing quite beats a good whipping with a wet lettuce, please don't ask me how I know. :O :no: :scared: :scared: :sungum:

No luck, pal. Do tell... :mosking: :punish:

Sooo, let’s see what I could post in verbotenem content...

Edited by NGT6 1315
  • Like 16

• RMweb Gold

We ordered a couple of small items via Amazon Prime. Originally due on Thursday. One sent with Hermes arrived yesterday and one sent with Amazon Logistics arrived today. I didn't complain. Some people's hobby seems to be unrealistic complaining. By all means complain about bad service or false advertising but I would have thought it was fairly obvious that there might be delays over the last few days.

I read some reviews recently about a cruise we had been on. I wouldn't have believed it was the same ship! I have been told thst some people complain vehemently to try to get a reduction on another holiday.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I found some veggie fritters in the reduced items at Tesco's today so I thought I'll give them a try and they're quite good. However its been a windy evening and it looks like its going to be a windy night. :stinker: :stinker: :stinker: Goodnight all.

• Like 4

You lot need some serious speeling lessons. It's not "spelt", it's "spelled" (etc, etc.) Fred Schonell (an Australian no less) must be doing a gyro in his grave.

It is either in the UK.(or Australia)

see https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/5712/spelt-vs-spelled

https://www.grammarly.com/blog/spelled-spelt/

Edited by Coombe Barton

• RMweb Premium

The Kiwi do a lot to support wild life...

post-7650-0-14198900-1520131526_thumb.jpg

Currently they are trying to get rid of possums, rats, stoats and ferrets all brought into the country by various visitors...

Baz

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Various family and step family members are still wittering about where they are going to sit at the funeral on Tuesday. I may dig my staff and cuffs out and take them with me to keep order. I just wish that I'd managed to keep a dispenser of CS. Perhaps I should send recalcitrant to Ashford Richard (HH)

At a funeral?  As long as you're not in the box at the front ...

• Like 11

Good morning one and all

I put the unexpected gift of time to good use yesterday afternoon by watching a DVD about a m*d*ll*ng subject.  Bless my soul, it was made nine years ago.  How time flies.  In the kitchen I rediscovered a bag of pasta tubes and remembered that I quite like pasta in small doses.  This happy find will eke out the supply of spuds until it is worth embarking on a fodder run.  By such time there should be supplies of fodder at the end of the bus route, or, as the case may be, the rainbow. In the morning I had searched on line for paella recipes and was surprised to find that most of them include chicken.  I thought the main ingredient was prawns.  Shows how much I know.

Looking at the week ahead may turn out to be a waste of effort but here goes.  With any luck I will be able to reach the bank tomorrow and with even more luck their self-service machines will work properly this time.  On Tuesday night there is due to be a talk about which I must write a report.  Two days later I am supposed to be in London for a lunchtime meeting.  On Saturday there is the East Anglian show at an animal shelter.  Make of that what you will.  It is quite near where my late father lived and the street named after him.  A week today it's another trip to London, this time for a gig by 4square who are old friends.  They have picked a fine time to go on tour.

To all our unwell inmates, those feeling better and those not around, warm thoughts and best wishes

Chris

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, inner temple here,

About 7 hours sleep not too bad.

Left elbow. Is painful this morning but I don't remember doing anything to it. Good job it's light winds this morning.

Ben the Border Collie has had his morning patrol, where I observed a squirrel, and a deer in the garden. Also the snow has continued melting overnight.

Ben has gone upstairs to bully a SWMBO out of bed, as I'm off sailing shortly.

I've had no phone call from my sailing compatriot, so he must have been dug out. His area had the worst of the snow in Norfolk, I doubt he got out for his job as a delivery white van man .

Ben has been successful.

Time to.. get insulated and rainproofed for the expected weather...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Penzance. :)

That was some week-end The Cornish Riviera Express GWR 175 years celebration run steam hauled charter Paddington-Penzance-Paddington in June 2010,

check it out on Youtube there must be about 2 hours worth of viewing. :biggrin_mini2:

• Like 13

It's a cool and foggy morning in North Yorkshire, and we have had yet another inch of the white stuff overnight, but the temperature gauge on the clock (which has an outside sensor) reads PLUS (rather than minus for the whole of last week) 1.5 degrees, so wa-hay, and here's hoping for a thaw and better weather being just around the corner! 

• Like 12

Morning all, snow all disappeared here about 2 days ago, so we have had it much easier than many in the country. SWMBO and I went shopping yesterday evening, and the shelves in the supermarkets were decidedly empty of items like fresh fruit and veg, as well as bread. We did manage to get enough to keep us going for a few days.

I now feel fully recovered from all the chemo-induced upset stomach last weekend. I managed to prove this as we brought a Chinese takeaway home with the shopping and I demolished a large plateful, followed by a large cake that had been reduced in Asda. Lovely!

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from the village north of the M62, which is flowing again. Breakfast has been taken and the door checked to ensure that vegetables can't get through. I've just had to nip up to church to check that we have power. Someone had texted us to say that there might have been a power cut. All is in order so this morning we will be up there later. Not a lot else to report but some tidying to be done and other tasks will no doubt be allocated at some point.

Hope to hear some continued good news from Debs.

Regards to all.

Jamie.

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

The thaw continues, temperature has risen to 4C. Very sunny. The forecast and "nowcast" suggest rain.

I have no idea what we are doing today. Aditi defrosted the freezer yesterday and discovered lots of meals so I assume we will be eating something prepared last year.

Have a good day.

Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium

I had one email today. "I guess Amazon set the bar high........"

Only if you pay extra for Prime was muttered under my breath as I refrained from replying. And I bet they Amazon didn't get stuff everywhere the next day this week.

Bring back the days of:

1. Send SAE to supplier for current product and price list. Having taken a day to remember to visit the post office for stamps. And then another realising that you only have one envelope in the house.

2. Wait 3-7 days depending on whether you'd used 1st or 2nd Class stamps

3. Peruse price list for 2 days, fill in form, write out cheque and send it back.

3A. Worry that you hadn't included enough for return postage.

4. Allow 28 days for delivery

5 Be really chuffed when it arrived within two weeks and 34 pence in stamps was enclosed as you'd allowed too much for postage - or - a little handwritten note saying that postage was short, but don't worry - include it with your next order.

Cheers,

Mick

Yeah, got the T shirt!  Had a complaint once about e bay sales processing too, which is interesting - we don't sell on e bay.....only via our own website or walk-in to the shop.  Folk can be strange.  We had an issue before Christmas when our mail plane didn't fly for 2 successive days for various reasons (first time in 10 years that has happened), hundreds of customers understood and were supportive - a handful seemed not to understand that once the parcel is in their hands, we can't go down to the airport to get it back....and hand deliver it in person, presumably. 

In other news....it's raining.  4 whole degrees!

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a bright warm (6C) Hill of Strawberries. The seaweed-wranglers promise us several hours of heavy rain so it’s off to tidy the outdoor area while the golden orb is glowing.

Message received from friends in Penzance who had booked a week in London and were hoping to meet up with us. They could not travel through the weekend due to snowdrifts blocking roads and railways. Now those same routes are impassable due to flooding. Their trip has been cancelled.

Cat is sitting at the window chattering at pigeons. Tea is brewing. Bacon is sizzling. Most things are right in our little corner of the world.

We wish all ERs a warm, safe and peaceful Sunday what ever the weather and with special thoughts to our sick and other absentees.

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

ad

well the forecast all day rain has turned out to be occasional sunshine and occasional showers although there was proper job raining yesterday for a few hours yesterday evening.  Odd traces of snow still survive in the more shady areas, and in a less shady area out in the road but overall we are back to the more usual seasonal dreary weather and both the offspring have set off in their motor cars for destinations diverse.  I am deputed to clean the vacuum so obviously my skills in that respect are valued and I'm even being offered a boiled egg for that rare treat called breakfast.

No other plans for the day and the bird food is about several inches deep where the snow has melted so they'll have to take what's there for once.  Have a good day everybody and may those who are suffering various afflictions continue on an upward path.

• Like 18