The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

It's snowing again - the fine powdery stuff so precautions against avalanches are being considered over muggatea No.6.

Tesco was visited and wasn't very busy but apparently customers are arriving in waves (although there is no flooding despite it being 2 degrees C warmer down on the valley floor than it is up here by the 300ft contour line.  The Good Doctor was present at work and in charge of two counters due to weather induced staff shortages which are also resulting in her being extended to do an 11 hour shift today. 

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

There's a person who lives just round the corner from me who clears his drive, then carries on shovelling across the footpath to the road. So, when I come along, I'm faced with two parallel knee-deep banks of snow to clamber over. I'm sometimes tempted to fake a fall, so that next time I get a cold call asking me if I've ever had an accident that wasn't my fault...

Have a word - it is important to remove the snow ... not make it worse for others but, if you fell deliberately s"ds law says someone will see you do it.

• Like 1

BIN day, BIN out.

Bit "slick" around here as all the snow melt from yesterday has now become sheets of ice on the path and driveway :( Estimates are we're down about 3 inches of snow pack.

Various comments/responses;

Nice to see Pete posting - "busy", that mean you're working hard, or hardly working?!?!?!?  :O

We're now hovering around 47 inches of snow for the season, right on target for an "average" winter. With March being the snowiest usually, we're in for more sometime, though not soon.

Recalling when I commuted to Waterloo from Weybridge, bring back the 4-CORs :jester: There may have been plenty of arcing going on but they seemed to get there...

Get the weather sorted to something reasonable/UK-like by mid-week next week, Jemma and a friend of hers are visiting for a few days and aren't impressed at the present weather!

I note, from the vast amounts of posts AND the activity on my flight simulation forums and online network activity, that there must be a VERY LARGE number of folks "stuck at home", nice excuse ;) ;)

That's about it for now.

Weather here a pitiful -2 and sunny, more snow loss today with the high heading for...wait for it... +2 WOO HOO!!!!

Keep up the good work, those that are

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 4

There's a person who lives just round the corner from me who clears his drive, then carries on shovelling across the footpath to the road. So, when I come along, I'm faced with two parallel knee-deep banks of snow to clamber over....

Easy, just shovel it all back.....

• RMweb Premium

Since you are all sitting and shivering, I thought i'd post a picture of last year's midsummer's eve muddy hollow party:

mud-wrestling-girls.jpg

Which one is you.............?

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening Awl,

A comparatively easy drive home, the council finally got their fingers out and called in contractors and farmers.

I passed a JCB mounted snow blower, obliviously going to the next job, and when I got to the road near the cremated Swan, another JCB was trundling down ploughing away and I followed it through.

That being said I've taken tomorrow off, it's blowing a hoolie out there, and my home road hasn't been cleared. So the road will bad again.

Keep safe folks...

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Hey up Pete ..have you moved house yet..or shouldn't I ask?

Youngest Herbert has left NZ called into Oz and is now en route to Dubai. I instructed him to take some tins of hot air to warm the UK up when he arrives.

Rick, I hope it all goes ok on the 23rd March..it would be my grandmas 120th birthday bless her.

Mike, but network fail are a prime example of why we need a nationalised railway....nuff said!

Stay safe and well everyone!

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. I ventured out today to get the newspapers and a few extras such as porridge oats and some soups. The roads were not quite as good as they were yesterday, a bit more slush about on the main roads. A few more cockwombles about including one who forced me to brake, just as well my car has ABS but it was a near thing. I was going to suggest to Rick that perhaps the funeral could be delayed but the undertaker pre-empted me. Hope to hear from Debs here on ER's soon then we will know that she's certainly on the mend.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

If you look down the page of this link you'll find a sledgeing Border Collie,

I think Deb's will love this, if someone with more computer ability than me can send the video to her please.

https://www.landyzone.co.uk/land-rover/beast-from-the-east-bring-it-on.327088/page-24

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Baz why did you name all your sons Herbert ???  :biggrin_mini2:

I think it's quite a good idea you don't have trouble remembering which has which name. For some obscure reason my sons objected to being called Rachel when I was shouting at them for some misdemeanour.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I think it's quite a good idea you don't have trouble remembering which has which name. For some obscure reason my sons objected to being alled Rachel when I was shouting at them for some misdemeanour.Jamie

I thought alled was a good Welsh boy's name....

Edited by TheQ

Have a word - it is important to remove the snow ... not make it worse for others but, if you fell deliberately s"ds law says someone will see you do it.

Quite agree, Peter, but as a not too fit septuagenarian I'm not silly enough to give into that temptation.

• RMweb Gold

Quite agree, Peter, but as a not too fit septuagenarian I'm not silly enough to give into that temptation.

As another septuagenarian I know you would not ... after all it's a bit cold at ground level and with wet trousers!

• Like 8

The surprise 60th birthday weekend for SWMBO has fallen victim to the weather. Probably wise, as most roads to Buxton are closed, so we would have struggled to get there, along with the 13 others who were planning to go. Availability and timings are such that the rearranged weekend may be in October! SWMBO now knows all about it, so it is no longer a surprise, and while fed up with the weather, she appears well pleased at the effort that went into trying to give her a good surprise weekend.

It is ironical, as the snow here in West Cumbria is pretty much non existent now.

I think it's quite a good idea you don't have trouble remembering which has which name. For some obscure reason my sons objected to being called Rachel when I was shouting at them for some misdemeanour.

Jamie

My chemistry teacher at school used to address all the boys as "Joseph". Probably a good idea, actually; made sure that you paid attention, just in case he was looking at you when he said it.

• Like 19

Jamie

My father always got names wrong.  After shouting for "Timmy" for five minutes, he stormed into my sister's room and demanded to know why she hadn't answered.  She drew herself up to her full 5' 2" and replied: "I'll respond to my name, to my brother's name, but not to the cat's name".

Bill

• Like 11