The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Ever thought that 'wellies' seemed a good choice for snow, then walked a few hundred yards in good deep stuff before realising that they're not that well insulated? Brrrr.

And the grip can be carp as well, as a fall in wellies and a broken shoulder as I went down can testify.

Anyone with a greenhouse should consider adding additional support for the roof. Our greenhouse caved-in under the snow load last year. I even had a wooden prop supporting the center of the ridge. The prop broke!

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. I did manage to get out today, thanks to three enterprising young lads of about 11-12 years old. They were clearing paths including the public footpath in front of the houses and gritted/salted as well for £5 per time. Well worth the money as it enabled me to get out for newspapers and some milk as my usual delivery this morning unsurprisingly didn't arrive. When I did go out the main roads were pretty clear but almost empty and I only encountered one cockwomble, driving a Teutonic penile extention, coming in the opposite way and doing at least 45 mph (in a 30mph zone) and spattering slush everywhere including on my windscreen.

• RMweb Premium

I used to do that Phil I could make £100- £200 a day I always carrier rock salt on the van in the winter.

Stavros

They must have made quite a bit as I counted at least a dozen houses in my street showing their handiwork.

• Like 12

They must have made quite a bit as I counted at least a dozen houses in my street showing their handiwork.

We are warned against snow clearing. If a householder clears snow and the postman or someone slips on the cleared section, the householder could be liable.

Not that I had plans to clear it anyway.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

We are warned against snow clearing. If a householder clears snow and the postman or someone slips on the cleared section, the householder could be liable.

Oh for goodness sake - darned if you do and darned if you don't.

We are warned against not clearing snow because if someone slips when it could have / should have been cleared then we are liable.  In the employment sense.  

• RMweb Gold

We managed to get home only 10 minutes late even though our train was late enough to have missed the bus but luckily the bus was also late.

Glad that we came home when we did, catching an East Grinstead service to East Croydon and change onto what was shown on the departure board as a 12 coach train leaving 8 coaches at Redhill (Normally 4 going onwards to Horsham) and 4 going to Reigate, turned out to be just 4 coaches. Fortunately we were standing toawards the front of the train so we managed to squeeze on.

Many trains delayed or cancelled after that and now the national rail page had stopped working.

The wind has picked up and its still snowing so we shall see how things are tomorrow but other areas are taking a much worse hit form the bad weather.

• RMweb Gold

............ other areas are taking a much worse hit form the bad weather.

Today is my daughter's wedding anniversary. She and our son in law booked a few days in a lodge with a hot tub to celebrate.

Unfortunately the lodge they booked is in the middle of the red snow alert in central Scotland. They are snowed in and have had no water since this morning.

The hot tub is still working though.

Messages from Debs

Really appreciative thanks to both the AIans, Andyp, Sherry, Brianw, Baz, Andy and NHNeil for the uplifting, amusing and engaging messages and pictures. It's just like being there with you, brilliant! You're so kind. 

The combi message from Scots Alan was so kind, generous and very interesting, what a lovely place to live! 

I didn’t do an update last night - I was feeling very carp indeed and went to bed without eating - don’t know what was wrong

Debs is hanging in there - it’s not all plain sailing for her. She’s cheered by our messages.

John

• Like 9

I’ve just told Debs that I was forwarding her messages of thanks - and she sent this.

Heavy on the personally appreciative thanks, please John. It is very uplifting to read their messages, even from certain tell-tales, who delight telling me lurid stories of what some are posting in my absinthe (sic).

• Like 15

Interesting! In Minneapolis and the suburb I live in, at least (don't know the other state/local laws), you are REQUIRED BY LAW to clear your sidewalks for the safety of others including delivery persons. If you don't clear city sidewalks, the city can actually do it FOR YOU and send you the bill. :O  :jester: They give you a day or tow before they show up though...

• RMweb Gold

Interesting! In Minneapolis and the suburb I live in, at least (don't know the other state/local laws), you are REQUIRED BY LAW to clear your sidewalks for the safety of others including delivery persons. If you don't clear city sidewalks, the city can actually do it FOR YOU and send you the bill. :O  :jester: They give you a day or tow before they show up though...

I remember Pete (Trisonic) saying something similar.

He hasn't been here for a while so we can but hope that he is well........

• RMweb Premium

Evening everyone

Well it snowed even more last night, but thankfully it wasn’t very much. Still it didn’t stop me from going swimming. Mind you, it was bl00dy cold whilst I walked there. -4C according to the app on my phone, the wind made it fell colder than that though. There wasn’t many in the pool when I got there at 9:15, I assume that the weather put a lot off.

Once I’d returned home, showered and had a muggertea I sat and did a couple of sudoku puzzles before we had dinner. After dinner I did a little prepping for tomorrow and then sat a d rested before Evie and Max came for tea. Ava wasn’t with them as she was at one of her friends house instead. It was very quiet without her and we now know who makes all the noise!

Goodnight all

• Like 18