The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all.

I went out early to move some recycling. Aditi had been out even earlier but asked if I could clear the bin lids as they were frozen. I cleared paths to the cars and roadside and then did the path in front of the house. We had about 11cm (can't insert metric smiley face on this tablet!). Much of my drive had been cleared by a neighbour. He couldn't get out of Benfleet due to gridlocked traffic this morning so he came home and started wielding a shovel.

Matthew rang and as it was a Skype video call, we could see he was in his bedroom. The university closed just before he was due to set off to the station. He has only just come across the existence of panic shopping and can't believe that people do such a thing. In Ireland it seems to be panic shopping of bread. His weather forecast suggests snow for the rest of the week and the weekend.

I have been asked to clear a path to the bird feeders . I did think about telling Aditi that the birds couod fly there but I didn't want to give her the opportunity to tell me I was being silly.

Tony

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Stewart (45156) might not have made it here but I see he was in attendance on Farcebook monitoring the fat Controller's progress in getting us back online/

Logs have been duly wheeled two barrowloads to restock the ready use stack plus another three removed from the outdoor store alongside the garage into the wood shed - with assistance from the Good doctor.  Feathered friends have been fed several times by the management and a new supply of bird food has been delivered from Brinvale, only ordered yesterday so usual service from them notwithstanding the weather.  So a little happiness and tummy filling has been extended to our local avian population ranging from Red Kites via various species down to finches and tits with the resident blackbirds having their usual enjoyment.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Even sideways, Rick doesn't look much like the young lad I met on some railtours back in the 1970s.

Regards to All

Stewart

Maybe not but I hope to look in on a few railtours in my 70s  :senile:

What is the day return fare to Delayed?

The same as the amount as your Delay Repay compensation  :jester:

I was going to suggest he was lying down on the job.

Cheers,

Mick

Definitely not!   ;)

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I was going to suggest he was lying down on the job.

Tricky getting to work this morning, despite most of my journey being on A roads (I avoided the country route) there was little evidence of gritting.

Although the slippiest bit was the last 200 yards down the estate to work.....

Just been out for a lunch run and it looks like a van has slid down a steep hill next to Settle market square and trapped a pedestrian. Emergency services are in attendance.

The Air Ambulance has just done a circle overhead and then moved on.

I hope the persons involved are not too badly hurt.

The main roads now look a bit clearer so I'm hoping for a steady run home.

Two days off coming up - time for some S&M

•  

Stay safe folks.

Cheers,

Mick

• sleep and modelling
  •  

That doesn't sound too good, was it Constitution Hill up the side of the Shambles.  If I was I suspect it was someone gong to or from the CoOp supermarket which is in what used to be the NuVic cinema that had double back seats!!!!

post-6341-0-03947200-1519831021_thumb.pn

That could be Anna who stayed with us from Aviemore I'll have to try and post it on her FB account.

Here the roads are fine and both Beth and I got our morning tasks done without any problem.  However having seen the queue on the westbound M62 when I went to Castleford I came back on the A roads through Leeds and relived many happy memories.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Stewart (45156) might not have made it here but I see he was in attendance on Farcebook monitoring the fat Controller's progress in getting us back online/

Indeed, I came here and here wasn't here, so I was checking for progress so I could meet and greet.

• Like 6

A view of the garden through the rear landing window, past a rather impressive icicle.

post-7153-0-55295100-1519836333_thumb.jpg

And the aforementioned vegetable soup with dumplings about to be served. Good winter grub.

post-7153-0-91928400-1519836308_thumb.jpg

Not looking forward to making the attempt to get in to work tomorrow come what may. Got to show willing I suppose even if I'm not. Ah, well if I'm late in I'm late in! Bored of work now and want to retire, but the retirement age seems to be moving away from me the older I get! I can see what the Government's plan is...

Edit - and it's snowing again here already.  Never mind, soon be summer.  :jester:

Edited by Dick Turpin
  • Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Just got back home, a bit of an adventure...

As I was clearing the snow from the landrover, a worker from the factory cycled past down the tracks in the 1 ft deep snow

I then set off, driving a mile to go a couple of hundred yards as usual, when the big U was done I came across said cyclist who'd used the cycle path shortcut. He promptly fell off his bike into the snow in front of me, as I was only doing 10 mph I was able to stop in time.

Once on the A roads it was not much better but at least tarmac appeared as two strips between piles of snow. I did have to stop, to clear the windscreen, even though I topped up the bottle with the correct mix, the washer liquid froze on the screen!!! It as noticeably windier by now.

Once near the cremated Swan you could see the snow being blown over the next road, I started down that to find a car partly in a ditch, just beyond that a car stopped on the road. By going up on the verge I passed them. Then ploughing on through 18 inches of snow I reached a car half parked in a layby with a car behind changing a wheel in the snow.

No way past this time as the verge was a ditch...

So I reversed up 300 yard of road, turning round in a field entrance, to find the car i'd driven round before was now blocking the way through. So I reversed up a bit and drove into the field. Luckily I know this section of field is being used as a track by the farmer. So I drove up through 18 inches of virgin snow and mud then back onto the road at another entrance.

So off down some more snow covered roads including very carefully down one that has deep flooded ditches either side and no verges. Eventually getting to my home road. Once I got to where the ford Ka had gone rallying into the field, the road was blocked by a short 3 ft high snow drift. So I powered through that and through a couple more similar drifts before home.

If we get much more wind and snow I'll be staying home tomorrow....

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Each foot is tri-socked here this week, usually bi-socked in winter is enough.  Bi-gloved hands this week too.

Top layers are two T-shirts, thin sweater, uniform shirt (because the collar and tie bit are supposed to show), thick sweater, fleece, uniform anorak.  

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Our road has a very very slight incline. People with certain cars were having difficulty moving. Mercedes and BMW saloons mainly.

I swapped our cars over so the Freelander will be easier to get out. Though the winter tyre fitted Fiesta seemed to cope nicely when I took it down the road to turn round.

Aditi was going out to a French Circle conversation this evening in Leigh on Sea. Lots of people weren't able to go, so as Aditi didn't want to be the only person there she cancelled it. She was the only committee member available so she had a meeting with herself and made the decision. Temperatures are forecast to fall quite noticeably here this evening.

Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Each foot is tri-socked here this week, usually bi-socked in winter is enough.  Bi-gloved hands this week too.

Top layers are two T-shirts, thin sweater, uniform shirt (because the collar and tie bit are supposed to show), thick sweater, fleece, uniform anorak.

So even if you met those ladies from Consett...........................

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Warning. Scary stuff. Welcome to the House of Fun.

I have had to wait for the outage to clear and then run the image through my editing software to correct the slippage!  I should have remembered that photos taken on and uploaded from a mobile will only display in landscape format here. 

Not only don't you like the Gwiwer that I met back then, but you're the absolute spit of my brother - and 30747 agrees.

Edited by 45156
  • Like 3