The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

They usually just say Rochester!

The young lady who stayed with us on Thursday night just sys that she's from "Cha um"  even though she was born in Yorkshire.   She now lives in Aviemore.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 15

Steam lances were fiendish things but you could clear snow with them quickly although you then paid the price.  They would clear ice but it took a lot of work - and, again, you paid the price.  The price - simples, if you use 'steam' (actually very hot water vapour) to clear/melt snow or is what you get is water, and water freezes.  On New Year's night in 1979 I spent several hours trying to clear a double slip with a steam lance and as soon as I'd done each end the other end had re-frozen, fortunately the loco had a fixed lance on one end and the usual flexible lance on the other so I finally positioned it so I was clearing both sets of switches at the same time and then as quickly as I could got a couple of cwt of salt down on the slide chairs.  only problem is that salt rusts slide chairs at an unbelievable rate so you need to get oil down on the salt.  So the old ways work but they took time and you needed to know what you were at, nowadays steam lances would probably be declared illegal unless you're wearing whole body protection and Goggles.  The best way of doing it on unheated switches is to use a scraper (so no water everywhere - but it takes time although as I've said previously most switches are nowadays equipped with electric heaters and they'll stop freezing but won't do too well on deeper snow and i doubt if thee are many folk about who really understand how to deal with points.

Maybe you ought to write the book, Mike!

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

If I hear another idiot on the telly say "Beast from the east", I'm gonna scream.

You have to feel for them a little bit, standing there saying how bad things are with little or no snow in sight. I felt quite sorry for Ben Ando on the lunchtime news.

Edited by BoD
  • Like 2

Evening all,

I'm thinking of getting a new car and the contenders so far are a Ford Kuga, Dacia Duster and Seat Arona. Has anybody any experience of any of these and could give any pointers, good or bad?

I do know the Dacia as my Sil has a  Duster and my daughter the smaller Sandero Stepway and both speak very highly of them.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Bob,

Test drive a Skoda Yeti.  Either a saloon car or, by removing the rear seats a 15cwt van.  And plenty of head room!

Bill

• Like 9

I can certainly concur with that.  Cromer is a low spot in life.  Even though I am related to the Bloggs and Henry Blogg, he of Cromer lifeboat fame, specifically.

And then this happened.  Nothing so serious as to interrupt transport but for the past few hours there have been frequent heavy snow showers.  SWMBO has wisely come home early.

attachicon.gifIMG_6882.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_6886.jpg

Which is chez Gwiver?

Bill

Morning all.

Not much to report, apart from it'll be ice scrapping duties before I head off this morning. 

Tony, I seem to remember many winters like this "back in the day" where as a school boy I strained to see the approach of a train across the marsh from Benfleet as my bits froze to the platform seating. I think the only difference was that in those days it was actual snow rather than forecast snow which brought services to a halt. Progress, I guess.  :no:

I use a watering can! Washing up liquid in first, then water to feel cold to the touch. Just pour it over the car; shouldn't re-freeze coz of the washing liquid, won't crack the glass coz it ain't too hot!

I can certainly concur with that.  Cromer is a low spot in life.  Even though I am related to the Bloggs and Henry Blogg, he of Cromer lifeboat fame, specifically.

And then this happened.  Nothing so serious as to interrupt transport but for the past few hours there have been frequent heavy snow showers.  SWMBO has wisely come home early.

attachicon.gifIMG_6882.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_6886.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_6876.jpg

Because of his reputation, Henry Bloggs numbers as one of my heros! Having visited Cromer (and Sheringham) many times, I understand his significance!

Just had a call to tell me that another of my old clients has died, and would I mind helping his wife with the Probate.....? Shouldn't be a problem, as I wrote his Will, and he only wanted his Estate to go one way.

What do you do to your clients? Still, where there's a will there's a way!

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Evening everyone

When I came downstairs for breakfast I noticed that we’d had snow overnight, not a great deal, probably about an 1” or so, but it was snowing then too. It has snowed on and off for most of the day, really heavy at times, but thankfully it has melted a little in between, so there isn’t a great deal left lying around. It has obviously snowed this evening as we have about 1/4” on the ground, no doubt it will cause havoc in the morning.

The morning was spent under coating some furniture in the attic but I’d done as much as I could by dinner time, so once again I sat in front of the TV and watched a couple of documentaries, this time they were about WW II pilots and their exploits.

Goodnight all.

• Like 18

I use a watering can! Washing up liquid in first, then water to feel cold to the touch. Just pour it over the car; shouldn't re-freeze coz of the washing liquid, won't crack the glass coz it ain't too hot!

Because of his reputation, Henry Bloggs numbers as one of my heros! Having visited Cromer (and Sheringham) many times, I understand his significance!

What do you do to your clients? Still, where there's a will there's a way!

Friend of of mine rephrases that as "where there is awill there is a realitive" - his mother died last month and within a couple of days one had turned up saying she had been promised something, having not been seen for years in spite of living about 3 streets away.

Thoughts with our ailing friends and others who are absent

Night awl

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

When I asked a client what he wanted his Executors to do with his body upon death, he specified cremation. When asked why, he said that he'd always wanted to go somewhere warm....

"The flames just soared, and the furnace roared--such a blaze you seldom see;

And I burrowed a hole in the glowing coal, and I stuffed in Sam McGee.

I was sick with dread, but I bravely said: "I'll just take a peep inside.

I guess he's cooked and it's time I looked";...then the door I opened wide.

And there sat Sam,looking cool and calm, in the heart of the furnace roar;

And he wore a smile you could see a mile, and he said: "Please close that door.

It's fine in here, but I greatly fear you'll let in the cold and storm---

Since I left Plumtree, down in Tennessee, it's the first time I've been warm."

(Robert Service The Cremation of Sam McGee)

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Morning all. It is icy and yesterday’s snow has frozen solid. Stay in bed with a warm duvet around you.

Chez-Gwiwer is indeed ground floor but is not quite visible. It is to the right of the main block and behind in the view down the driveway. The exact address is indeed a closely-guarded secret under the provisions of Nottaclue.

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

It has snowed overnight and more is forecast along with some sunny periods.

Bill, thanks for that. TBH I hadn't even come across the Yeti but I see it has now been superceded by the Karoq. Currently thinking about buying a brand new car as I have now discovered my Focus qualifies for the scrappage scheme and so another Ford is fast becoming the prime choice (3 other makes qualify as well) but I haven't ruled out anything yet. However if I go down the scrappage route I've only got until March 31st to decide which doesn't give me long.  :scratchhead:

Today is Joe's16th birthday and we're going out for a meal tonight to celebrate with immediate family. He's also having a party on Saturday with the rest of our tribe and friends.

First job today will be a visit to Sainsburys, following that I will be looking at more car options.

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 19

Good nmorning one and all

There was white stuff for about half an hour yesterday lunchtime.  All that remains is a light dusting on the roof of my car and similar on my green wheelie bin.  That assumes that there was none overnight.  To be honest, I have not looked.  I will look if and when I head into town.  Today is publication day for the local rag and copies should be available for collection around 10 am.  Something makes me doubt that the delivery brat will be doing his stuff this evening so it's best to be prepared.

Whilst in town I might just look in Argos to see what is available as regards bedside clock-radios.  My errant Ferguson [no, not a tractor] was showing more or less the right time at 4 am but between then and 5 am the imp of mischief had been at work and added about 40 minutes.  Fortunately I wear my wristwatch constantly, except when I leave it in the bathroom as I did on Monday, so any panic at having lain abed overlong is but brief and fleeting.

Tonight I am due to be at the monthly meeting of the Bletchley chapter of the HMRS.  The journey between here and there is almost entirely by main road.  Wish me luck.

Warm thoughts to all in distress, recovery and absentia

Chris

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

GDB how about a Civic Type R....... go on, go on, you know you want one...

The Dacias seem to be popular but have the acceleration of an ant.. I prefer a car with a bit of acceleration when I need to avoid eeediots on the road.

The corolla coupe I have at the moment has no get up and go despite a "sports" switch for the automatic gearbox. Totally underpowered.

I want a Toyota Highlander/Kluger! 3.5l V6 4 wheel drive and an 8 gear auto box....just the Job.. but not available in the UK.

Watching the cricket. Can England snatch defeat from victory?

Baz and her indoors on tour 2018

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

You have to feel for them a little bit, standing there saying how bad things are with little or no snow in sight. I felt quite sorry for Ben Ando on the lunchtime news.

A bit different this morning though, no problem finding deep snow, not here at least.

Stay safe.

• RMweb Premium

Mooring awl, Inner temple here,

About 6 hours sleep was had, and the boiler behaved itself.

We have less snow than yesterday at home, but Norwich has considerably more, about 4 to 6 inches and it's still snowing heavily.

Saying that there was slightly more wind this morning, so there were small drifts of up to about a foot high on the road near my house. They did send a plough, down that road several times last night, not to clear the snow, but to clear mud. They were dragging sugar beet out of the mud until about 21:00, and there was already no sign of tarmac when I came home at 16:00 just 4 inches of mud.

I did not see any tarmac on the 25 miles way in, so those driving extremely slowly were not classified cockwombles today. There is something deeply satifying passing a BMW, wide wheels spinning on a slight slope.

Even in the LandRover, which has additional limited slip differentials, I only made 40 MPH once on the way in, on a long, clear of traffic, straight. Most of the journey was 20 to 30mph, only needing 20 mph to over take the 3 cars that I passed. So todays journey in took about an hour instead of the normal 40 minutes.

The cockwombles today were the tank drivers....peering through little snow cleared slots on the windscreens.

From the radio at the moment,

Norwich airport is closed,

Nothing is going in or out of the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital,

The A11 Northbound is blocked, hence many national Newspapers have not arrived into Norfolk. 

The A140 (Ipswich road) is also blocked south of Norwich.

260 Norfolk Schools closed.

Almost all buses not operating.

Living as I do where roads are not cleared of snow (and often mud) todays weather reinforces my decision that the next car will have 4WD.

The Lab is sitting at 24.5 C at the moment, which is a degree high, this has warmed me nicely, but sat here with the door open to the outer lab, there is not a lot of work I can do till it has settled down for some time.

The Deputy head of lab has phoned in He won't make it in, I believe he lives between the A140 and the A11....He was supposed to be sending a voltage reference to NPL for calibration today, by special courier in a car.. I think that will cancelled.

Time too...err umm, do not a lot...

Keep warm Folks...

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 5