The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Ps why do we, as the "stoic" Brits give up without trying now? As Mike says we managed through worse rail conditions but now, we seem incapable of running train services in any weather. Has it something to do with network fail being not up to it..and we own network fail....

Something to do with having loads of risk-averse rules, regulations and guidance which then conditions people to think it's not worth doing anything?

Rant over but if the Kiwis can sort out ways around cyclone damagewithin 24 hours we need to start thinking the Kiwi ...positive..way

Meanwhile, on the Swiss rail network....

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Lunchtime report.

Snowing lightly in Teddington as I came through on the way home.  Heavy grey clouds overhead presage the "Beast from the East" though the forecast remains for no snow and there is no current warning.  Amber warning just issued for the Hampshire and Dorset areas, plus Sussex west of Worthing, on Friday morning.  We might just - just - avoid the worst because we are destined for that illustrious "Sunny" town on the Costa Geriatrica.  I am somewhat experienced in driving in and on snow and ice, including double-decker buses on Cornish hills, but would prefer not to have to tackle 60 miles or so of wintry road.  Nothing can be changed so Friday will bring what arrives and Mother will be laid to rest despite.

Another very cold morning though sunny for the most part above the House of Fun.  Southern trains were mostly snow-caked and their main line tracks contained significant amounts of the black snow which falls off the greasy side of trains.  SWR were snow-free.  Overground had problems in various places not all of them weather related though the line closures around NE London were due to adverse conditions.  Advice continues to be only to travel during daylight and avoid non-essential journeys. 

Brownie points gained thanks to a driver being unavailable.  A down Reading was unable to run leaving many folk with a half-hour wait.  I directed them to the warmth of the coffee shop and five minutes later was presented with a coffee by a grateful passenger despite the fact that he would miss his booked connection onwards to Bristol Parkway.  Triumph in adversity!

Off to make lunch now.  Stay warm, stay safe and, for those in need, my continued best wishes and support.

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Visibility , Poor...

Can't see Basildon, Southend or Kent.

Perhaps this is last night's snow delayed by a few hours.

All the local trains seem to be running without delays. Not that I intend to go anywhere today and if I did it would probably not be by train.

Those of you worrying about the breakdown of society due to snow will be pleased to know that our newspaper was delivered shortly after 6am and the postman arrived about 9am, very much as usual.

One advantage of the burst pipe this morning was that Aditi thought I should have a cooked breakfast after sitting in a puddle of cold water wielding assorted wrenches. She was very impressed that I knew exactly where to find them too.

• Like 18

Visibility , Poor...

Can't see Basildon, Southend or Kent.

Perhaps this is last night's snow delayed by a few hours.

All the local trains seem to be running without delays. Not that I intend to go anywhere today and if I did it would probably not be by train.

Those of you worrying about the breakdown of society due to snow will be pleased to know that our newspaper was delivered shortly after 6am and the postman arrived about 9am, very much as usual.

One advantage of the burst pipe this morning was that Aditi thought I should have a cooked breakfast after sitting in a puddle of cold water wielding assorted wrenches. She was very impressed that I knew exactly where to find them too.

I stood waving as well.  :sungum:

Leaky pipes here as well. The muppets that installed the boiler managed to disturb some of the ancient pipework causing the seal on a couple of joints to fail. An hour with the Dremel tool and a packet of new 15mm olives et voila. No cooked breakfast for me though. 

• RMweb Gold

If I could see whales the Thames would be severely in flood. ;)

Basildon, on the other hand ....... would anyone ever really want to see it?????

Basildon is allegedly one of the more successful post war new towns. It is still part of Essex unlike Thurrock and Southend which have succeeded to become Unitary Authorities.

We used to go shopping quite a lot in Basildon but do so rarely nowadays. Cultural visits are the main reason now.

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

I stood waving as well.  :sungum:

Leaky pipes here as well. The muppets that installed the boiler managed to disturb some of the ancient pipework causing the seal on a couple of joints to fail. An hour with the Dremel tool and a packet of new 15mm olives et voila. No cooked breakfast for me though.

I think the pipe coming out of the non-return valve will be a replace olives job. At the moment turning off the supply to the outside tap will suffice. The water spraying upwards must have entered a 13 amp socket as at one point I got a noticeable tingle. I was thereafter very careful. All is dry now.
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Basildon is allegedly one of the more successful post war new towns. It is still part of Essex unlike Thurrock and Southend which have succeeded to become Unitary Authorities.

We used to go shopping quite a lot in Basildon but do so rarely nowadays. Cultural visits are the main reason now.

Have they succeeded as seceded  Unitary Authortities, or have they not succeeded as seceded Unitary Authoritites? :no: that is the question..

By G** it's cold in here, My a/c seems to have failed and it's getting somewhat chilly in the lab.... time to let some heat in from the outer lab...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon awl from partially sunny Southampton. Cloud cover is building up and a few snowflakes are wafting about on the breeze, probably looking for a safe space.

When I lived in Southend it was a County Borough, which was even more 'unitary'; it had its own police force and Fire Brigade until 1974.

I have things to do, or more likely put off given my mood, but an attempt will be made.

Best wishes to all

Pete

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

I'm afraid I was put off Basildon twice.  

Once was the occasion we were required to undertake some fieldwork there, sampling random shoppers and asking a series of questions they were totally uninterested in answering, as a part of my degree.  The other was the time I was heading back to my then home in Walthamstow using the late-lamented 151 bus (Canvey - Wood Green) upon which the last three trips this particular evening all failed to run leaving me cold, tired, frustrated and somewhat hungry in a somewhat uninviting bus station and wondering if I had enough in my pocket for a train fare.

Afternoon all

Sunny and bright here in Edinburgh - no white stuff. Haven't been out cos it's so cold! Expecting massive dump of the stuff tomorrow.

Ian, my condolences. And, Jamie, I'm sorry to hear of the hassle you're going through just now. Hope it resolves well.

SimonG, so pleased to read that you're ticking over again and enjoying some food. Your weekend treat sounds wonderful - hope the weather doesn't disrupt the festivities.

Interesting programme on BBC1 Scotland last night about Scotrail/Abellio and why Glasgow/Edinburgh trains have services cut because DMUs have come to the end of their leases and the new 385s aren't ready, and there are no suitable coaches available for lease in the UK. The passengers suffer with over-packed trains and skipped stops. What a way to run anything...

Stay warm

Mal

Edited by Purley Oaks
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

There is a deadly silence outdoors as I look out at snow we used to laugh at in Oldham when I was younger. In 1963, we left the bus garage at 6 o clock one morning in at least 5 inches of snow and no once said "dont do it". Needless to say, we got stuck in a huge drift up on Scouthead, but no services were cancelled.  When I hear of trains being cancelled even before snow arrives, I know we have hit rock bottom in this country. Trains used to be the ONE thing we could rely on in snow or in fact smog and anything else. Progress, it seems, is what you make it.

I agree Larry, The News girl was reporting from a SUNNY Colchester this morning saying most Trains have been cancelled, W H Y? wait till it Snows, then make a decision.

Hi Guys,

As I understand it in the days of steam froooooozzzzeeennn points could generally be thawed by the use of blowing off steam ... something the modern things cannot do.

Peter

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Have they succeeded as seceded  Unitary Authortities, or have they not succeeded as seceded Unitary Authoritites? :no: that is the question..

I so carefully typed seceded ...

Southend doesn't allow Essex residents to use their recycling centres and is just about to withdraw from being in association with Essex library services. Southend used to be a County Borough and probably didn't like being back in Essex again.

• Like 7