The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning to most, evening to others.

We went out after tea for a beer. Knock me down with a feather, two our fellow Yorkshire CCC members/drinkers happened to be in the pub. I was very well behaved as I have some driving to do tomorrow so had a couple of beers.

They will be attending ODIs and Test matches out here so it was nice to catch up.

Time for some sleep I think,

Have a good day!

Baz

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Chilly, dry and very sunny here.

Work on next doors trees continues. Fascinating to watch. Yesterday most of the small branches were removed. The device that shreds the trees ( a chipper apparently) broke at the end of the day. Thst part hasn't made it back today. However I don't think what is coming down today could be chipped anyway.

I thought we were going shopping today but Aditi disappeared for a while yesterday and reappeared from the study having arranged a delivery from her favoured purveyor of foodstuffs.

We will go for a walk later. Aditi has decreed that we must still continue walking regularly.

Tony

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. When I looked out last night before going to bed the car was covered in frost but this morning despite being colder some of it had gone. Forecast is that its going to get a lot colder, down to zero during the day by the middle of next week. Apart from a few snow flurries its going to be dry fortunately with clear skies. I was going to post a news item that I thought was funny but I now cant find it. A chap in Newport Gwent had managed to get a ring spanner attached to his manhood and then found that he couldn't remove it. He went to the local hospital who then called the fire brigade to remove the spanner. Perhaps he was trying to tighten his nuts. :jester:

• RMweb Premium

Another quick update. Gavin has been fed (but not the cake. Beth and I have both had out hair cut. DiL has been and had her make up done and Beth is now in the salon aka the dining room. Dave and Anna, the couple who are staying) are up and about. In the middle of all this activity a phone call told us that, Will, my FiL had died. So the day will be interesting. The brides are not to be told till after the ceremony. I will as suggested be keeping in the background.

Regards to all.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208

Good morning all. Continued supportive thoughts to Debs, Simon, Mal and also to NHN. Thanks to John and sister Jen for keeping us updated as to Deb’s progress.

This morning has dawned sunny, but frosty in Derby. I am pleased to report that the flu bug has almost completed its retreat. Thankfully I felt well enough to attend the beer festival at the old Roundhouse shed in Derby. We arrived about 3pm and left around 8pm after an enjoyable few hours. We bumped into some familiar faces including some volunteer colleagues from the GC and an ex colleague from my old school. She did not know about the headteacher’s upcoming departure and, funnily enough, did not have a good word to say about him - another member of his non-fan club then!

Plans for today really should include some school work because I have been a bit lax over the last few days due to feeling ill. Sarah and Amber are staying at the inlaws tonight so I will need to take them over sometime today. I am hoping I can persuade them to go in the afternoon because that would leave time free for another beer festival visit. Work will then be attempted in the morning and during tomorrow.

Enjoy your day.

Best wishes

Andy

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Hope the day goes well Jamie albeit against a background of the sad news.  We have frost (again) and the weather is forecast to get better (i.e. even lower temperatures) over the coming days - definitely some various bugs in the garden that garden that could do with a good blast of low temperatures to polish them off.

Nothing planned for today so we'll see what life brings.  Hopefully some news/good news from the ailing and recovering.

Have a good day one and all

• Like 2

Condolences Jamie, hope the day goes well

We had a cat who would kill for a mince pie

Went to the Docs this morning for a blood pressure check, saw who I was seeing and smelt a rat! Sure enough got a needle stuck in my arm for a blood test!

Mornin awl

Edited by laurenceb

• RMweb Gold

Robbie never stole food until he was 8. Then after the emergency neutering operation, not only did he become rather hairier, he also started taking any food he could reach. He was quite sneaky about it too, waiting until he thought you weren't looking. Unlike Neil's cats he would eat the wrapper too.

• Like 14

Ours did.  The pair of them once devoured an entire Marksies Madeira cake we inadvertently left out - unopened.  Couldn't work out why they didn't want breakfast, then found the remains of the wrapping.

Not the brightest of felines.  Our one would knock the wrapping onto the floor, so the dog got the blame.  Actually, we're talking Christmas turkey here, we heard the crash in the kitchen, found a confused dog protesting her innocence and the cat nowhere to be seen. Knew who to blame, thou'. This is the cat who would beat up my kid sister for her Friday fish supper.

Bill

• Like 3

Cray supercomputer for sale on eBay Sixteen GigaFLOPS if you need them

If you fancy buying a decent bit of computing power you could do worse than bid for a Cray Y-MP C90 which is listed for sale on eBay.

Bidding opened at $35,000 and has now jumped to $43,210.

The machine is called Mario and is described as having been the world's most powerful supercomputer seven years ago. It's in good working order and capable of 16 GigaFLOPs and you don't need security clearance to buy it.

The sellers describe it as an extremely reliable workhorse for R&D computing. Mario, a black and gold beauty, contains '16 vector processors, each capable of 1 GFLOPS performance, main memory amounting to 512 MegaWords (4GB), and a 512MW (4GB) Solid-state Storage Device (SSD) serving as an extension to memory. He comes with raid controllers and disks providing over 130GB of high-speed disk storage.'

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The cats ate most of the cardboard base of the cake wrapper, Tony, but left the cellophane.  The moist cake must have made the cardboard tasty enough!  There wasn't a lot of evidence left, except their feet weren't touching the ground due to the size of their bellies! :sarcastichand:

Jamie, such a bitter sweet day for your family.  Emotions must be all over the place.

• RMweb Gold

The cats ate most of the cardboard base of the cake wrapper, Tony, but left the cellophane.  The moist cake must have made the cardboard tasty enough!  There wasn't a lot of evidence left, except their feet weren't touching the ground due to the size of their bellies! :sarcastichand:

Many years ago we went to stay with some friends in very rural Kent. They had just moved there and when they moved in there was a substantial bunny population in their garden. Their two spaniels and three cats soon reduced it to manageable levels. I am certain the cats were doing the beating of the hedges while the spaniels despatched the bunnies. A cat full of bunny is a very strange shape.
  • Like 14

Hope things go well today Jamie, sorry to hear your last minute news...

POETS and I get to POE, but only so I can head to JFK and home. Ultimately, it'll be a late day as I'll likely not be home until around 8PM.

A few more frantic mods to reports yesterday at the client - still don't get why/how a combination of senior mgmt. and auditors can decide to make these sort of 11th hour changes to Profit and Loss statements that have been "OK" every month for the past 11!??! :O  :jester:

MiL continues a slow decline, those with knowledge of such things say it's normal and also unfortunately say there's no real timeline/prediction as to how long the process will take.

Mrs continues to be stressed and tiring from the ordeal.

At least I will be home this evening, but the weekend is completely up in the air for obvious reasons. Most of the time comforting the Mrs probably :scared:

Weather:

Here - it's 2C overcast with rain developing later, high around 6

Home - -3, high of zero with clouds all day, the weekend forecast to get 6-10 inches of snow starting tomorrow afternoon through the evening with a winter storm warning tomorrow late afternoon and night.

Not spring yet in Minnesota. :rtfm:

Hope all your Friday plans work out and those working stiffs amongst us can POE...

Edited by Ian Abel

My condolences Jamie for your FiL.

My two days of chemo are now over, and all appears to have gone well. Last time, I was very nauseous for the two days after, so hopefully it will be better this time. I have a different anti-sickness drug this time, and am following the advice to drinking lots of water. I will be largely resting this weekend, and the six nations rugby will help with that! Thanks to everyone here for your thoughts and support.

Condolences to Jamie and best wishes to Simon, Debs, Mel and others who are ailing.

We had a phone call earlier today that my wife answered. It was a scammer trying to tell her that we had a problem with our microsoft software. Upon being told we don't have microsoft the ape at the call centre swore at my wife. She promptly swore back at him: I thought it was only me that used words like that. After checking 1471 we have his phone number and apparent address is Fareham GB. As we have TPS we decided to report this as a scam call. A little disconcerted to find that as part of the report the complainants details are passed on to the offending caller. So we decided for safety's sake not to report the call. I wonder if any others have had similar problems and thought better of reporting them?

Sunny here but cold wind. Stay safe all.

• RMweb Premium

The Fareham number is probably a spoof number; these callers tend to be based further east.

Quick appearance to wish continued recovery and successful treatment to Debs, Neil, Simon, Mal  and others under the weather/doctor.

Yet again an expedition to EH is imminent, today I'm taking a camera as well as shopping bags; the light is good so a walk down Campbell Road beckons.

Have a good day

Pete

• Like 13

The Fareham number is probably a spoof number; these callers tend to be based further east.

Agreed - very prevalent in the US here, some folks have had the same "number" call with the "Microsoft" help and then decided to call that number back, only to find someone equally irate at the other end as they want to know why YOU (whom they don't know from Adam) are calling them... <sigh>

I don't lean towards violence, but, I'd love to get all the architects/owners of these companies in a room and kick them all in the bo!!ocks... :triniti:  :butcher:

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Condolences to Jamie and best wishes to Simon, Debs, Mel and others who are ailing.

We had a phone call earlier today that my wife answered. It was a scammer trying to tell her that we had a problem with our microsoft software. Upon being told we don't have microsoft the ape at the call centre swore at my wife. She promptly swore back at him: I thought it was only me that used words like that. After checking 1471 we have his phone number and apparent address is Fareham GB. As we have TPS we decided to report this as a scam call. A little disconcerted to find that as part of the report the complainants details are passed on to the offending caller. So we decided for safety's sake not to report the call. I wonder if any others have had similar problems and thought better of reporting them?

Our friendly and incredibly helpful 'Microsoft' support people all seem to have 'phone numbers located in remote corners of Scotland notwithstanding their far from Scottish sounding accents.  if you do a google search on the number you're likely to find a lot more about the way it is used rather than just where it allegedly belongs.

If I'm in the mood I like to have a bit of fun with these halfwits as wasting their time is great entertainment especially when they ask me to press a certain key on the keyboard and I say i can't find them have to tell them which kets are next to it - that really gets them going.  It's all amusing to play totally stupid so when they ask what I can see on the screen I wait for the screen saver to start and then tell them exactly what I can see, the Eiger usually confuses them.   

• Like 7

I often tell the Microsoft scammers that I don’t actually have a computer at all, and like SM above, proceed to lead them on a merry dance to my tune of total ignorance! When they talk of software, I ask if they meant the covers on my armchair, and if they mention hardware, I reply that yes I do have some hardware, but was it a hammer or a spanner that they meant.

• Like 18

The latest one I'm getting is not phone-calls, but scam emails with a symbol, either *, !, or. as the first item on the from address - they get dropped into the scams box but are a pest all the same Edited by shortliner
  • Like 1