The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

A old friend, my best man, studied in London and I seem to remember him living in (or is it on) Strawberry Hill. Perhaps he lived in the flat above Rick. But then again probably not.

• Like 5

Short update

Sister Jan and Debs both sound more upbeat. Debs has to have a replacement heart rate device as the one she has isn't working well. Possible surgery tomorrow. She really is appreciative of all the good wishes, humbled and a little embarrassed. She says she feels unworthy.

Many exchanges today. Her parents have been to visit. Emotional. But still upbeat - I've sent all messages.

Tomorrow is another country

John

• Like 6

Good morning one and all

Area Group was well attended last night, but no thanks to the publicity measures carried out at Biggleswade.  The pub where we meet is a mere 20 minutes purposeful stride from the station and I shall use Thameslink to attend future Harpenden meetings.  There is only so much of the M1 that one can take.  In my absence a miracle occurred.  For the first time in five weeks the delivery brat left me a local rag.  Gosh. 

Today Poorly Pal and I will dine on sweet and sour prawns.  Tonight Geoff Plumb is speaking at Stevenage Locomotive Society.  In between some m*d*ll*ng should occur.  There are no plans for the weekend apart from a fodder run sometime.

Amid continued good news from some on the sick list let there be warm thoughts to the ailing, recovering and missing.

Chris

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Considering how much milk NZ produces cheese here ain't cheap ( most of the milk is turned into powdered milk for china)

Tea eaten, wine drunk.. off for a hot springs detox tomorrow..

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, Inner temple Here.

A fairly good nights sleep was had, around 6.5 hours.

Ben the Border Collie was a much happier dog when I got home, I was presented with various toys that needed throwing or playing tug of war with. SWMBO didn't take hime for his long walk to give his sore Paw a rest, so he only got several walk gently round the garden. This Morning he's charging around as his normal self...

My landrover gets charged as a commercial because it's van bodied. had it been an all seater it wouldn't. It's the same with the congestion charge,  some landrovers are charged the congestion charge, some arn't, yet they have the same mechanicals and front cab just the back bit changes. Come 6 years time when My landrover reaches 40 it becomes a historic vehicle and then is exempt road tax, the congestion charge, with future changes planned the MOT,  and will be aloowed back in low polution zones...

I see they are awaiting todays result of a european court rulling about whether diesels can be banned from cities due to Nitrous emissions, The problem with that is due to the reengineering af many petrol cars to reduce their polutants, many of them now make more nitrous emissions than diesels... One of Norwiches mpst olutted roads is where cars are banned, all the busses are lined up idling ther diesel engines....

This morning I had none of the expected frost, which is good because it's allowing the still large puddles tto drain away, before the big freeze. saying that cars left over night in the company car park are covered in frost.

Yesterdays Major system was completed and it's been on it's cross check overnight, so I'll be checking the results shortly. Todays main work, is I have a unit in from a customer via our repairs section, for final calibration after repair. It came in in October they've been waiting for spare parts most of the time since then. so much for just in time delivery...

Time to... go check the results of the cross checks...

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Earlier frost seems to have gone and it should be a dry, cloudy day with some sunny intervals.
The Boss was up and about at 6.00am and brought tea up to me in bed. It would appear that she wants to get to Sainsbury's early today. Personally I am in no rush. :no:

Apart from that I have nothing planned so I might just venture upstairs into railway land later.

Have a good one,
Bob.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Morning.

Hope all goes well for Simon.

Baz, I don't recall that Chinese, but in '76 I was in Liverpool for alleged higher edumocation purposes.  I learned about Scouse pies and Higgie's beer anyway, and a touch of engineering!

Did you visit the hydro power station inside the mountain when you were in Te Anau?  Manapouri or something like that, you have to go down a long lake in a fast 'cater-meringue' to reach it, then a bus ride on an unmade road - Wilmot Pass IIRC.  Quite something.  You're not far from the coast when you get there, but a zillion feet above it, great for hydro.

• Like 17

Gooooooooooooooooooood morning from the boring borough. Little happening at the moment. The calm before the construction storm. Hopefully a quiet day at work as well. 2 days of study and catch up expected. Next week will be 4 days on a government project then a Friday off to prepare for the Epsom Freemo meet on the 2nd & 3rd of March. After that it will be one of 2 long term projects for me. One in Germany which will be 100% remote from home. The other is with a bank in the Midlands but they want bum on seat even though there is no technical reason for it. History has also shown banks are the worst to work for. They expect people to work on site then fail to provide any desk space or building access. 

Our local recycling centre is supposed to check addresses if you don't have the little green sticker in your car window. They never seem to bother. Next door but one cheats and dumps all his crap at the much closer Greenwich centre. They too never check but with my luck the one day they did would be when I attempted to use their facility. Ours is actually quite good. Its a drive through loop with all the various types of crap separated. There is also allegedly a reuse section but I have yet to find it.  

Best wishes for Debs and her dicky ticker.

More well wishing for Simon. Let's hope the chemical soup puts a halt to that b*stard 'C'.  

That's all for now (stop cheering at the back) Enjoy the day. 

• Like 18

Morning All,

Best wishes to Debs, and thanks for the update John.

We have a nice bright sunny morning in this part of the world.  I am slightly later on parade because our testing is not due to start until lunchtime and that probably means a later finish.

Have a good day everyone...