The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

A rare treat this morning - sunshine following snow. (We usually have fog or overcast after a snowfall.)

We ended up with a small amount of snow where I live (other parts of town had considerably more) but it was an extraordinary sticky kind so branches are well coated with a small layer of frosty snow - which is always pretty on a sunny morning.

Roads are a bit nasty but it should melt by the middle of the day.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Tram derailment in Gdańsk yesterday due to fractured rail groove flank:

https://www.trojmiasto.pl/wiadomosci/Tramwaj-wypadl-z-torow-na-skrzyzowaniu-n121290.html

The derailing tram hit a waiting car as well. Only two injuries, none of them critical, I understand - thankfully. It appears to still be unclear whether the fracture occurred prior to the derailment or immediately underneath the affected unit.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Matthew has been doing some work today as a volunteer for a group thst promotes language skills for migrants in Blanchardstown where he plans to do his research. The language place is all about confidence and communication rather than grammar.

Matthew said the group he is teaching at the university (final year undergraduates) were very uneasy about one of the tasks he has set. They have to review each other's work. Even though their comments are not going to be shared, they were not happy. Matthew told them what happened in Utrecht and they seemed shocked. He explained the Dutch are generally "direct" in their criticiam, and it doesn't stop you being friends!

I have been doing various tasks following Robbie's demise, contacting kennels to cancel stays later in the year and then the pet insurance. All done now.

Aditi is on her way home now. I don't know if the coach will let her off at the coach stop in Benfleet, I supppse it depends on the route back to Southend. It isn't exactly far to where she boarded this morning anyway.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Tram derailment in Gdańsk yesterday due to fractured rail groove flank:

https://www.trojmiasto.pl/wiadomosci/Tramwaj-wypadl-z-torow-na-skrzyzowaniu-n121290.html

The derailing tram hit a waiting car as well. Only two injuries, none of them critical, I understand - thankfully. It appears to still be unclear whether the fracture occurred prior to the derailment or immediately underneath the affected unit.

Google translate is getting quite good now. The translated report is quite readable. Not bad for a language with no articles and flexible word order. I only know this because Matthew told me!
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. My cholesterol is very low, so low in fact that it once failed to register on the meter that didn't go below 3 and since then it has never registered above 3.8, as long as it stays that way I'm happy.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

A good night's sleep has been achieved. Mugatea is ready. One or two places we are booked to stay at next week have received Cyclone Gita damage. Just hope the people there are ok.

The T20 final last night showed how heavy the rain gets here.

Thunderbird...when it left service everything to do with it was dumped in the Atlantic for some reason.

Hopefully our missing Ers are well.

Baz

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Evening all

Sag aloo cooking. Spinach and potato curry for the uninitiated. Excessive noise coming from upstairs but I know it to be visitors and they are usually gone within an hour or two.

Cholesterol was 5.5 when last measured over a year ago. Nursey with the gadget said “You will feel a small pr1ck”. I refrained from comment - she’s probably heard them all and says that deliberately.

SWMBO running a little late from work but not so as to affect catering or sleeping plans. In the interim some Red Laughing Water is called for with a starter of mature Davidstow cheddar and Cornish wafers. Only the cheese is actually from Cornwall.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Couple of photos for Neil. And no they say more about my phone's orientation than mine! ;)

Tremendous!  My all time favourite bridge, thanks for remembering.  Once the city pinstripe types get out of the Crown Posada it used to be a good place for decent beer too.  All the Jeremy's and Ruperts used to pile in at 6, but by 7.30 had gone off home to Jemima. Then we used to go along to the Cooperage along the quayside - is that still there?  CAMRA owned IIRC.  Or the Duke of Wellington which was definitely CAMRA.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Rick, the turntable I use isn't exactly the type likely to have an USB socket  - Thorens.  The software I had de-clicks the recordings, quite a good result as a rule....but it has decided I need to re-enter the key and I've lost it.....bah.  Audacity is working OK, but doesn't have a filter I have found as of yet!

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Aditi is home. This was her first trip with that particular group. They are the people we are going to Italy with later this year. Aditi's geographical skills (colouring in) were useful as they had to split into 2 tour groups at the gallery and needed colour coded maps. Fortunately the trip organiser knows Aditi from the French group and knows she is reliable. The coach trip was delayed reaching home as a sinkhole opened up on the A13 yesterday.

Not a lot happening here over the next few days!

Tony

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Rick, the turntable I use isn't exactly the type likely to have an USB socket - Thorens. The software I had de-clicks the recordings, quite a good result as a rule....but it has decided I need to re-enter the key and I've lost it.....bah. Audacity is working OK, but doesn't have a filter I have found as of yet!

Just a cheap (free with Good Boy points from a previous job) Crosley-branded model here. But obtained because the previous one had died and because it offered direct recording to a USB stick. And because it cost me nothing

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Tremendous!  My all time favourite bridge, thanks for remembering.  Once the city pinstripe types get out of the Crown Posada it used to be a good place for decent beer too.  All the Jeremy's and Ruperts used to pile in at 6, but by 7.30 had gone off home to Jemima. Then we used to go along to the Cooperage along the quayside - is that still there?  CAMRA owned IIRC.  Or the Duke of Wellington which was definitely CAMRA.

Glad you liked the photos. The local team selected Fitzgeralds as our pre-dinner watering hole. Some nice beer in there. 

I'll try the Crown Posada next trip, maybe. 

With the evenings getting l'll get to do a bit more exploring. 

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Well I won't be going to any recycling centre to get rid of anything from 1st of April, here are the new charges for Norfolk....

For ONE 80 litre sack

•Unsorted/non-recyclable DIY waste - £7.20

•Flat glass - £5.20 (not recyclable at Mile Cross recycling centre)

•Rubble - £4.70

•Plasterboard - £7.60 (£12.60 at Mile Cross)

•Timber - £6.40

•Scrap metal - £6

If I take it in My landrover:

•Unsorted/non-recyclable DIY waste - £182.40

•Flat glass - £74.40 (not recyclable at Mile Cross recycling centre)

•Rubble - £97.20

•Plasterboard - £270 (£539 at Mile Cross)

•Timber - £168

•Scrap metal - £76.60

The council claims this won't lead to more fly tipping, 

Duck!!!!

Why???

There's a Flying Pig!!!

I assume that fly-tipping in Norfolk will increase somewhat as a result of these charges!

• RMweb Gold

These days a lot of centres are asking for your driving licence and an utility bill before they will let you tip.

Our very nice tip has number plate recognition. I think light vans and trailers are permitted on Tuesdays but only for domestic waste.

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

In SW London I don’t tip them. I swat them. Rates for other areas on application ;)

I finally decided I needed to know where the raised strawberry location was, I am somewhat ignorant about that side of London. We occasionally visit Osterley so I now know(thanks Google) where it is in relation to that location.
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Our local dump recycling centre now require you to apply for and display a permit in your windscreen. Permits are only issued to residents on production of two types of ID, one with photo and one with address. I haven't got around to applying for one as luckily I  haven't had much to get rid of lately.

If it stops non residents who don't pay Council Tax here then that's fine by me.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 12