The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Looks like another what was a Norfolk company in trouble after the usual private equity / takeover problems...

http://www.edp24.co.uk/business/kettle-foods-workers-consortium-bowthorpe-norwich-employment-changes-m-s-1-5402375

I have a friend who lives very near to the Kettle Foods main competitor's premises in Herefordshire (Tyrrells) which is also managed in a similar manner, after a takeover by a US operator.

Morning all, bright, cold, and off on a few days away - great day for the thermostat on the car to play up, with the garage fully booked. 

30747 completes another circuit of the sun today, and should now have joined me in retirement, but for the changes to retirement ages, so she is still stuck at work for a few more years now, as the State doesn't seem to recognise early retirement.

Great to hear again that Debs is progressing well, so mice who have been  playing, the cat's coming back.  John, please again pass on my support.

Generic greetings again to everybod else.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 2

Belated congratulations to Chris for hitting a big number - all he need now are daily t-shirts and a computerised filing system. Is anyone aware of a redundant weather forecasting mainframe, nothing smaller will do.

Also to Jamie, for appearing in Steam Days.

Good that Debs is improving.

I've been busy writing an essay on "Die Bibel und Martin Luther". I've learned a lot.

Bill

Edited by bbishop
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Morning.  Chilly out, frosty.

Jamie, not sure about good use of time - but I'm an expert on Winter Sports now!  Always fancied curling, we like playing boules when away camping.  Bob is also right up there, same thrills as biking I suppose in many ways, speed, cornering.  Not going to go down head first on a tea tray though, I have limits.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Sun was shining this morning but a bit of high cloud arrived before things warmed up. Forecast is for a cold but dry weekend and continuing into next week with the possibility of snow, winter isn't finished with us yet. Best wishes to Debs, Mal and Andy and all other ailing ER's, be back later.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Just been chuckinitdarn here. Some nice person left the electric blanket switched on..gee Thanks!

Met up with some friends tonight who are travelling the country in a merc camper. I still prefer fixed loos and showers.

Stay calm everyone

Baz

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Reasonable weather out there but no mention of the G word - so far, I shall remain on alert ready to think of an urgent task which will take me elsewhere.  The Good Doctor has, as ever, skillfuly arranged a few days leave around he booked days off and will be setting sail (par avion actually) for Malta tomorrow so we'll no doubt have another airline report by next week as she's travelling with Air Malta.  And talking of setting sail our travel insurance is due for renewal and yet another bunch are on the same lark as the DVLA and using the 'age 70' card as their wriggle room to increase the price.

Good to hear that Debs is on the up and John must tell that is really is now time to not only sharpen her awl but to start getting together the necessary barbed comments and (un)veiled threats to deal with those who are mentioning teh word that should not be spoken in this 'ere place.  Talking of which I can but assume that Mick saw something in UP colours while on holiday and decided that matched his life m*d*ll*ng style and can no longer be ignored.

Have a good day one and all and best wishes to those who are ailing and recovering.

• Like 17

Morning all. Thanks to those people who sent good wishes and supportive thoughts to Debs. I am pleased to hear more positive news and I hope her improvement continues.

I am pleased to hear that Chris had a decent birthday. I reckon us fellow ER’s should club together to buy him seven t-shirts embroided with the day of the week to complete his look.

I have to confess that I am still in bed as I type this. I am feeling much better than yesterday so hopefully the bug is in retreat. There are long standing plans to visit the Derby Beer Festival with Sarah tomorrow. The plan is to take things easy today in hope that I will be ok tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

Just done it again - a good shredder is a sound investment, and a lot of our paperwork goes through it on a weekly basis.

I have a shredder, but much quicker is an Ink roller from Japan, bought on ebay, that covers all the items with random letters - one swipe and its gone! Card receipts, bills, addresses, but they don't like shiny paper sales offers.

Similar to, but not the same as, this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Plus-Guard-Your-ID-Roller-Stamp-SelfInking-Stamp-Messy-Code-Security-Office/401358925690?var=670979475398&hash=item5d72db2f7a:m:mVuz-cqy2jUbZlZfHiYvWQAe

Edited by shortliner
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Well I won't be going to any recycling centre to get rid of anything from 1st of April, here are the new charges for Norfolk....

For ONE 80 litre sack

•Unsorted/non-recyclable DIY waste - £7.20
•Flat glass - £5.20 (not recyclable at Mile Cross recycling centre)
•Rubble - £4.70
•Plasterboard - £7.60 (£12.60 at Mile Cross)
•Timber - £6.40
•Scrap metal - £6

If I take it in My landrover:

•Unsorted/non-recyclable DIY waste - £182.40
•Flat glass - £74.40 (not recyclable at Mile Cross recycling centre)
•Rubble - £97.20
•Plasterboard - £270 (£539 at Mile Cross)
•Timber - £168
•Scrap metal - £76.60

The council claims this won't lead to more fly tipping, 

Duck!!!!

Why???

There's a Flying Pig!!!

Edited by TheQ

• RMweb Premium

The answer is simple. Take it to Suffolk. Or Lincolnshire.

It's bad enough its a 40 MIle round trip to the nearest recycling centre without going to foreign parts!!!

Nearest Suffolk over 60 Mile round trip

Nearest Lincolshire over 200 Mile round trip...

• RMweb Gold

You've only got to look at the massive increase in landfill charges over the years to see why there's been a huge increase in fly tipping. When I started work in 1966 my firm charged £6 to supply a 6 cu.yd skip to a private individual and £5 to the trade. According to an online inflation calculator that £6 would now be £110.51. Current price with a large local firm is £240!

• RMweb Gold

And I'm back from the Doc's after a fun-filled discussion. X-rays show mild Arthur-Itis in lower back and both hips which is what is "probably" causing the pain. Kidney function good. Blood glucose fine. Cholesterol a bit high (according to him) at 5.1. Statins discussed and rejected (for now). Go back if I change my mind. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

And I'm back from the Doc's after a fun-filled discussion. X-rays show mild Arthur-Itis in lower back and both hips which is what is "probably" causing the pain. Kidney function good. Blood glucose fine. Cholesterol a bit high (according to him) at 5.1. Statins discussed and rejected (for now). Go back if I change my mind. 

If my cholesterol was at 5.1 the surgery would probably award me a gold star.  I got ticked off when 6.7 was recorded at the test before last but I hastened to remind nursey that it had been 7.1 at the test before that and that my 'good cholesterol' had actually increased.  Arthur and his itis is a s*ddin' nuisance - seems to be an age thing although I remain convinced that the affliction with it in my knee originated when the Good Doctor demolished a brick built gate pier onto it about 15 years ago.

anyway enough of this health stuff - Mrs Stationmaster's new bird feeders have arrived and she has excelled herself - having increased the order from 2 to 4 she finds on the delivery that they're 'the wrong sort' and are only suitable for peanuts so it looks as if 'someone' will be called upon to make modifications.  You may reach your own conclusions regarding the identity of 'someone'. 

• Like 18

HUMP day.

All quiet on the Long Island front yesterday - just a new report and some last minute mods to hurry through in anticipation of the annual "presentation of the number" to the board early next week.

I'll be long gone back to the safety (relatively) of working from home a thousand miles or more distant from any mayhem/fallout :jester:

News yesterday that the client finance department are moving AGAIN, to new premises, that'll take place the weekend of March 3-4, so my next trip out on the 12th. will see me at new/improved offices although it's about another 20 minutes east of the present location.

Local TV seaweed twirler REALLY needs to get a life/better perspective on what he's delivering.

Having stated this morning that today is looking to be a record high if it touches 70F/21C (EXPECTED) he then proudly announced the mercury will TUMBLE to very chilly (HIS WORDS) temperatures overnight and tomorrow at, wait for it... 6C! Give me a break, I truly don't know how these folks would manage if subjected to even a day or two of Minneapolis February weather, overnight at -14 and expected -5C for a high today, but will be ZERO by Friday :O  :O  

8 and foggy on the "chilly" drive in, clearing to 19 or better with sun later.

Enjoy the HUMP.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

....Cholesterol a bit high (according to him) at 5.1. ....

When I had mine checked the GP told me it "wasn't worth treating at my age."  :O

First off all it was coppers, then MPs now it's GPs that all look young these days.  :jester:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The council claims this won't lead to more fly tipping, 

When I lived in Ketteringham all those years ago, there was a lot of fly tipping in the lanes nearby - even though there was a recycling centre just outside the village, and at that time, there was no charge to dump anything there.

Our council does still offer free recycling for most items, but charges for hardcore, rubble, plasterboard and the like unless you have a resident's permit specific to you and to your vehicle.  And that's limited to 12 visite per annum, and your visits are ticked off on the permit at each visit.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

If my cholesterol was at 5.1 the surgery would probably award me a gold star. 

5.08 mine, and Simon wants it down even more, as it was at 4.1 before I cut the statins down because of night cramps - we shall see.

Off now til Monday.

Bye

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Just back from my annual assessement meeting with the Boss of my section where we talked about....... anything but assessments... We are both in our last Six years and there really isn't any point..

Actually we talked about our Pre-here jobs, and it turns out we Both worked on an Almost Identical equipment at one point, Him on Thunderbird Missile Radar (for the Army as a civilian), Me on the Type 88 radar in the RAF, and the difference between the two radars is not a lot.

Time to... do my time sheet, Then It's time to go to a big orange shed as it's old gits day...

• Like 6