The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Hearing aids - I have just removed them as bedtime approaches, and I think I'll get used to them and find them a benefit. Apparently, they have come on in leaps and bounds in the last year or two. Mine are on the NHS, and are computer matched to my hearing profile so as to bale out exactly where I am deficient, rather than just blanket sound increase. I was impressed by that. Anyway, it seem that as time goes by, the technology advances to make these things better. At least SWMBO won't be able to creep up on me anymore when I'm up to no good. Ho ho.

• Like 2

The calming sound of a water stream flowing might have amazing affects too ;)

If only to "inspire" the Great Unwashed to head promptly for the nearest loo :P

:jester:

Unfortunately the sound of water would have ME going to the loo.

I have a track of a Dawn Chorus from Widecombe in the Moor which has twenty minutes of cuckoo :)

I have it on my phone and play it when I'm walking down the corridor at work 

• Like 15

Debs - the past two days

Although painfully slow, Debs appears to be on the way to recovering. Sister Jen’s been on again explaining some of the processes involved. She and I are in regular contact and I’m relying on her to say if I’m overloading, but luckily haven’t been

Today Debs started at hap=lf past seven, saying that the sleep light is working, she had a good night. We’ve been passing messages - all yours have been sent, we just have to keep them coming - there’s only so much about lecturing at a University that can be amusing.

Iv’e been, at her request, continuing to send music from Youtube. Apparently she likes that service. One of the pieces I sent was Stars by Ēriks Ešenvalds, the Latvian composer. I emailed him on Saturday saying how Debs has reacted, and yesterday received a reply which I forwarded to Debs, and I’ve sent her reply back to him.

She still has clinical problems, but treatment regimes are also being advised by the Luxembourg consultant (the Professor). And this seems to be working, luckily.

She’s been in there since 28th December, so must be boring. Fortunately the window in her room shows a skyscape, and she was on about the blueness today.

Her sleeplamp starts dimming at about 22:10, so I know that’s the time to stop.

Sister Jen is going to keep me updated.

John

P.S. This is some of the stuff I’ve been sending up to her. The first one is the aforementioned Stars.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Unfortunately the sound of water would have ME going to the loo.

I have a track of a Dawn Chorus from Widecombe in the Moor which has twenty minutes of cuckoo :)

I have it on my phone and play it when I'm walking down the corridor at work

Brings back memories of when suspected drunk drivers had the option to provide blood or urine samples. If the latter they had to provide two samples within one hour. If they failed to come up with the 2nd sample they got charged with failing to provide. We used to try and help them by standing outside the open cell door pouring water from a jug into a metal bowl.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Evening everyone

Today’s been a gloriously sunny day and it seemed quite warm too. But I decided to carry on decorating the attic and today I’ve painted all the woodwork and started to clear away the last few bits and pieces that are no longer required. I also cleaned the skylight windows and also the windows on the door. Tomorrow I’ll give the floor a good cleaning and then hopefully apply a couple of coats of varnish.

Happy birthday Chris

There seems to be quite a few members missing, I do hope everything is ok.

Goodnight all.

• Like 18

Evening all and generic greetings, best wishes, congrats etc. Another few days missed. I have read back far enough to be able to wish our resident stir fry chef, ChrisF, a belated happy birthday.

It is half term here and wouldn’t you just know it - I am ####### ill again. The weekend saw some of my old anxiety issues flare up before I was hit with a flu bug last night. Sore throat, blocked sinuses and constant shivering are just the accompaniment to the half term break!

As Ian has mentioned Oakland has a fast link to the nearest BART station. It was under construction when I was there in 2012. Also the hotels are a lot cheaper than in downtown SF. I'm not sure whether the southern BART extension has been finished yet but I think it was going to go down to St Jose. It went past the Tesla factory at Warm Springs where UP were storing a lot of locos when I went.

BART services are operating as far south as Warm Springs but, as yet, no further. Work is proceeding on the Berryessa extension into Milpitas with a projected opening perhaps this year.

The final leg to San Jose includes a subway section under Santa Clara Street but I don't know if any tunneling options have been approved.

I've been watching the sky all afternoon for the promised white flakes, (to also precipitate my drive home) and despite very light non-accumulating snow first thing this morning - nothing but overcast and if my mobile telephone app is to believed, the temperature is climbing to a very non-snowy 4°C.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

When the World Cup (soccer) was on the USA is as visiting San Jose. Nice place.

We are in Taupo. Motel by the lake. View excellent but it is now raining...good job we bought new rain coats today (somewhere in New Zealand we have lost our rain coats...buggritt!

However, it is about 24°C....lovely.

I used to fly BA Club class on business. Lords King and Marshall ran it then. Customer service was top rate.

Cathay Pacific however gave me a "diabetic" breakfast..steak and mashed potatoes...

So far it would appear we will be flying here by Singapore or Emirates..very good reports and they use A380s in stead of 777 and 787 which are about as comfortable as a roller coaster..Boeing just can't design aircraft for turbulence..

Baz

Edited by Barry O

• RMweb Gold

Morning

Not flown on a A380 yet.

However I do like the 787's although not experienced any heavy turbulence on them yet. We will be using Norweigan 787's soon. I gather that BA are reconfiguring soem of their 777's to add extra seats. If its anything like the Air Canada 777W's that we once flew on out of Vancouver then I wont be wanting to use them.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 4

Morning All,

Once again, we have a fairly chilly morning.

Much of today will be spent preparing for a software testing tomorrow. 

There isn't a lot else to report, so I guess it is time for a coffee!

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

OOoof.  Don't know much about DHS's, but sounds like it didn't work for you. You've had a tough ride with that lot.

DHS worked, but caused some complications with bone growth which was uneven.  Also left me with a need for an orthotic shoe, as my leg was shorter after surgery - which got worse after the removal.  In the end, another surgeon decided that as I was also artritic in that hip due to the uneven strain, that he's do a replacement.  He also managed to get the leg length restored - which was a bonus really.  He was a really good surgeon and a top bloke as well

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl Inner temple here,

Only 2 hours sleep in bed last night then my brain wouldn't shut up, so it was off to the sofa and the rotating 24 hour news, that sent me to sleep so in the end I got about 6 hours.

Ben the Border collie is not a happy chappy, he stood on a thorn a couple of days ago which SWMBO got out, he runs around quite  happily on it, then suddenly will make the canine equivalent of OUCH, and hop around a bit. He also seems depressed he didn't present me with any of his toys to throw yesterday and generally moped around...

I'm also depressed, our new boss joined the RAF 12 years after me, and is 14 years younger that me. As he joined the RAF at 16 so he also must have been qualified in the RAF to a lower standard than me. Some how he's the boss of this factory and I'm one f the pond life.

Sadly I think it's that every Company including the RAF I've worked for has either lied about the promotion I would get, or they've had a reorganisation at the worng time which meant I never got the promotion promised...

Also today is also assessement results day. Somehow with this company even though I get averge or better marks in all columns I get lower than the specified average pay rise. With less than 6 years to go till retirement and it is a compartively secure job in an area where there aren't many jobs, there is no point looking to move...

Well depression can be brought on by lack of sunlight and today is the first day when Dawn officially starts before I officially start work

Time to .. go do some work.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Frosty out. I know this as I put the b8ns out. I also defrosted the car. I am taking Aditi to a coach stop in Hadleigh so she can join her trip out with the Art Society she attends. The Courtauld Gallery this morning then on to another nearby place for an exhibition about art and jazz.

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Glad to hear of Debs' continued improvement. I think I better start looking to move somewhere with a non-extradition treaty and a ban on awls.

Frosty but dry start here and will be cloudy for a while and then brightening up later with some light winds.

Porridge has been consumed yet again as I understand oats are good for cholesterol levels and today I am visiting the medic to discuss mine along with the results of other blood tests and x-rays.

That should be a laugh a minute.  :no:

After that who knows? The Boss has been muttering something about "going somewhere" or "doing something."  I have said that it will depend on my discussions with the doctor today - I may have to take it easy and rest!   :whistle:  :yes:  :jester:

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Morning awl (I now you are watching Debs).The village still seems to be south of the Jewish Cemeteries but it looks fine outside. Beth left early for her helping session at fat club so I have the house to myself. The winter Olympics are on and I hope that Mary Hopkin is getting the royalties as they play her hit song every time a goal is scored in the ice hockey.

Various orders were issued yesterday as part of the wedding build up (W day is Friday). One of Rachel's schoolfriends and her husband are coming down from Aviemore and are staying with us Thursday night. As a result it has been suggested that various boxes of stiff that's currently on Ebay should move somewhere. I managed to get a lot of tidying and sorting done yesterday and the bin is overflowing. I might even find a surface to do some modelling soon but better not post any photos here....... There is a down side, I still haven't discovered the entrance to the black hole that small bits of models drop down. I di however discover a Gas Safe certificate and that will save us a bit on the solicitors bill for the house sale.

Once breakfast has been finished I'll be setting off to Morley to deliver the aforesaid certificate and some other tasks then off to the Leeds station to book a rover ticket for a day out in early March.

Hope to hear that Debs continues to improve and many thanks to John for his communicator duties. Neil, you seem to be occupying your time usefully.

Regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 15