The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon Awl,

Driving home I observed someone has taken another shortcut across an NDR roundabout there is a complete exhaust on the mud and more deep muddy tracks. By complete exhaust I even mean the down pipe, that is going to be expensive!!!

SWMBO is out at weaving, Ben the Border Collie has for some reason gone upstairs.

I've just ibuprofen gelled my toes as they are throbbing, I will see if I can sneak up on Ben shortly to see whether doing.

I've inspected the alley and shed, and after over 24 hours of extreme dreichness, with maximum size puddles outside, all my work on the shed and alley way appears to be waterproof.

Time to sneak up on a certain dog.....

• Like 15

... one that I did look up is Gatwick to Oakland direct on BA. Now that is a new route for BA and a new airport for us.

I haven't been to OAK recently. (It was something of a dump, but I think they've been working on major renovations.)

It is certainly much easier to get in and out of by car than SFO.

Happy birthday Chris. That's quite a milestone.

Am waiting to see what the weather will bring here. Appreciable snow is forecast for the middle of the afternoon, but very light snow is falling already at 9:00am. I will keep an eye out the window here at work and head home if it starts to accumulate.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

I haven't been to OAK recently. (It was something of a dump, but I think they've been working on major renovations.)

It is certainly much easier to get in and out of by car than SFO.

And I recall that there is a fast link to the BART as we will be on beer hunting so very little driving if any. It could also be our last chance to ride the Coast Starlight if Amtrak suspend operations on non PTC enabled routes at the end of the year. Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Ian, after our trip out here I would suggest giving Boeing Allways as wide a berth as possible. They really are carp..and customers...why do we worry about customers? Unfortunately we are coming back the same company and due to them cancelling flights we now have a 7 hour wait at Heathrow apparently. They are just hopeless (service in the air was poor but not as bad as Cathay who ran out of food.)

Lots more rain down here, places are flooded and cut off in South Island so we got away reasonably well.

Now off to collect another hire car.

Baz

• RMweb Premium

Ian, after our trip out here I would suggest giving Boeing Allways as wide a berth as possible. They really are carp..and customers...why do we worry about customers? Unfortunately we are coming back the same company and due to them cancelling flights we now have a 7 hour wait at Heathrow apparently. They are just hopeless (service in the air was poor but not as bad as Cathay who ran out of food.)

Lots more rain down here, places are flooded and cut off in South Island so we got away reasonably well.

Now off to collect another hire car.

Baz

Cathay had a great reputation back when I flew a lot - as did BA for that matter.  How things change.

Finally gave in regarding 'getting by' for years of managing to cope with hearing difficulties, and resisting constant demands from SWMBO for me to 'get a hearing aid!', and have been fitted with a pair. So far I am living in a world of crinkle, rustle and bump noises, plus the illusion that everyone is shouting! I don't half feel old all of a sudden, and I can't think of any benefits regarding railway modelling. Hope it all settles down soon and I get used to this.

• RMweb Premium

As Ian has mentioned Oakland has a fast link to the nearest BART station. It was under construction when I was there in 2012. Also the hotels are a lot cheaper than in downtown SF. I'm not sure whether the southern BART extension has been finished yet but I think it was going to go down to St Jose. It went past the Tesla factory at Warm Springs where UP were storing a lot of locos when I went.

Jamie

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Cathay had a great reputation back when I flew a lot - as did BA for that matter.  How things change.

Likewise AA.

Although I think we got lucky on the last trip as the one in 2016 did not compare to my previous experiences with them through the 1990s.

Before I forget - HB Chris.

MR club beckons - catch up later.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Finally gave in regarding 'getting by' for years of managing to cope with hearing difficulties, and resisting constant demands from SWMBO for me to 'get a hearing aid!', and have been fitted with a pair. So far I am living in a world of crinkle, rustle and bump noises, plus the illusion that everyone is shouting! I don't half feel old all of a sudden, and I can't think of any benefits regarding railway modelling. Hope it all settles down soon and I get used to this.

I don't know how I ever managed without mine, everything was just a muffled noise before.   I don't care what it looks like, being able to hear people talk and listen to music clearly again is worth it.

Plus, if I ever have to talk to Mrs BoD I can just turn them off.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

and I can't think of any benefits regarding railway modelling. Hope it all settles down soon and I get used to this.

Turning them off if you are exhibiting all weekend, next to a layout that has every loco sound , signal box bell and sound effect possible on full blast...

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Likewise AA.

Although I think we got lucky on the last trip as the one in 2016 did not compare to my previous experiences with them through the 1990s.

Before I forget - HB Chris.

MR club beckons - catch up later.

Cheers,

Mick

To be fair I'm going back to the late 70's and early to mid 80's!  Mind you, 15 years ago BA/Qantas were OK when we last went to New Zealand. Air NZ the previous twice were very good but pricey.  Just thinking the first time was in a brand new 747-400, it was its maiden flight back over.  Now they're scrapped......eek.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Baz, no food on Cathay? it wasn't supplied by KFC by any chance? :jester:  My next door neighbours have put their house up for sale. The two kids are growing and with another on the way the house is just too small. I hope that they find a private buyer and not a buy to let landlord as often happens around here.

• RMweb Premium

I believe some tax changes last April, have made buy to let not as profitable as it once was, so you might be lucky...

To be fair I'm going back to the late 70's and early to mid 80's!  Mind you, 15 years ago BA/Qantas were OK when we last went to New Zealand. Air NZ the previous twice were very good but pricey.  Just thinking the first time was in a brand new 747-400, it was its maiden flight back over.  Now they're scrapped......eek.

Well, if you want to fly the "flag", even diminishing as it is in service, take heart, the BA 744 are going to be flying into the early 2020's.

Most of the US airlines have/are retiring them, but there are plenty more airlines out there still happily plying the skies in 744's.

• RMweb Gold

Hearing aids.  Thanks for the above information on opposite viewpoints..  Early mandatory use of ear plugs for swimming following major ear surgery in the early 50s means that  I have steadfastly refused to consider them seriously.  I have been told often that '(I) You missed a lot' - but 'it' is not repeated!  Perhaps in the near future it may come because, unlike GDB, in spite of what is said by SWMBO I do not have selective hearing ... just immense frustration when told ..." it doesn't matter" when asking for it to be repeated a second time.  The simple solution is to get my attention before telling me ...

Peter

Edit - spelling after trying to edit x 6 ... really looking forward to using my own computer.

Edited by PeterBB