The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Back from the big city. The trip to Whitechapel was uneventful. We got seats on the train to West Ham but not together. It was a 12 car set and quite full.

The staff at the Royal London were pleasant and efficient. Once I had achieved the appropriate level of alertness in the recovery room I was released to another room for tea and biscuits. Then we set off home. I was and am still a bit uncomfortable. It will pass (literally).

I am not allowed to drive, drink alcohol or sign legal documents for 24 hours. Fortunately very easy to comply with those instructions.

Edited by Tony_S

How do those girls go down that ice track on a tea tray so fast?  Real guts.

Somehow the bigger question for me is;

After the luge became popular, were a bunch of folks in a bar talking about how it was the craziest thing on ice, when someone said "hold my beer" and invented the skeleton?? :O

Morning awl.

Weekend was "crazy". Saturday was supposed to be my modeling time. Just needed to install the new drinking water dispenser faucet first, easy 10 minute job :jester:

Took TWO HOURS to get the old one off as the mountings were rusted together, banging around in the under sink cabinet with ZERO access, resulted in several involuntary head bangs :(

THEN, needed a new fitting for the line to the filter - supposed to re-use the original one but that was corroded and proceeded to LEAK when checked.

As the Mrs was at MiLs I had to walk to the hardware store, about 3/4 mile each way, sunny but rather colder than I'd have liked.

Returned, attached fitting, and then the OTHER connection to the filter, bringing IN the supply, decided to leak :triniti:  :butcher:

Off to the store again, and after about 5 hours total had the stupid thing working again - then it was time for dinner, so much for modeling!

Sunday, some of the same, this time required to "sort out" some closet and drawer space as we are supposed to spend a little time each weekend "downsizing", meaning getting rid of carp that is seldom/never used...

Whooosh, "was that the weekend, do I get another?" "Not for 5 days mate".

Today will make the JFK pilgrimage, headed there Monday as the client has today, "President's Day", as a public holiday, so no point sitting alone in their offices today, work from here instead.

-7 and cloudy here, expecting icy conditions and some snow/slush, about 1-3 inches, right around the time I head to the airport mid-afternoon - Oh JOY!!

Hope your week starts well.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Ian, welcome to the World of Bob.   :banghead:

I've joined too - bashed my head on the car boot lid last week because it didn't rise quickly enough when I was loading the shopping and walked straight into one of the bl**dy bird feeders when stepping back to admire my latest cut of the oak tree the other day.  Is the fact that she has just ordered another 4 bird feeders got anything to do with that event (and her ability to access my bank account online)?

Edited by The Stationmaster

• RMweb Gold

House insurance now sorted for another year. New quote from existing company was, of course, higher than last year. Went onto comparison site and entered all details telling them exactly what I wanted and got back several quotes claiming to be about £100 a year cheaper. But they weren't cheaper because they hadn't quoted for what I'd bloody asked for and when I added back the extra they wanted for what I did want there wasn't much in it.  :banghead:

Went back to existing supplier and managed to negotiate a reduction so am staying with them for now. That's another couple of hours of my life I won't get back.

Roll on September when the car  insurance is due!   :cry:

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Great to hear that Debs is still on the mend, and John, when next passing messages, please include mine. 

Other than that, it is the now obligatory generic greetings to the ailing and the celebrating.

Had an unexpected trip to the fangmeister, as for a few days I've had a touch of Neuralgia in my lower jaw, and had planned to mention it at my GP appointment tonight.  Yesterday, I started to think that this might be toothache rather than neuralgia, but as I was able to partake of a couple of spoons of ice cream, and also a mugatea, I thought not.  Then I bit down on a biscuit, and nearly hit the roof.  This morning, I was awakened by a dull throb, so a phone call to my dental surgery was called for,  I was seen within four hours, not be my own chap, but by a lady dentist, who took an x ray, and found that the tooth in question had an old filling, which had been later filled again on the other side, and that the pin securing the old part had moved, and the old filling had fractured (or it might have been vice versa).  A load of local, and a sit outside until it took, then back in for the whole lot to be excavated, and the damage inside assessed.  Luckily, the pin had not penetrated the root canal, and she was able to refill the whole thing.  I have yet to come round, and the total time in the dentist's was over an hour, with half of that being treated.

Should get my sausage casserole in about an hour, hopefully.

And with the encouragement of my creative writing tutor, I have expanded one of the short stories which I have written for the class to a longer version, and have entered a short story competition with it.

Regards to All

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

...which is next to a hot petrol engine. Let me think about that one again.

Separated by a container wall with a very low co-efficient of thermal conductivity.  Ergo, it doesn't matter where the heat source is in relation to the contents.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

House insurance now sorted for another year. New quote from existing company was, of course, higher than last year. Went onto comparison site and entered all details telling them exactly what I wanted and got back several quotes claiming to be about £100 a year cheaper. But they weren't cheaper because they hadn't quoted for what I'd bloody asked for and when I added back the extra they wanted for what I did want there wasn't much in it.  :banghead:

Went back to existing supplier and managed to negotiate a reduction so am staying with them for now. That's another couple of hours of my life I won't get back.

Snap, exactly the same happened to me last month but with a slight twist.

Thought I got everything sorted but a couple of weeks later when the payment was due my mobile pinged and there was a text from the bank saying my account (in which I keep a minimal balance for meeting such payments) had gone overdrawn - and a quick look at my bank account online revealed that the insurance company (related to the bank) had charged the amount of the original quote and not the revised lower quote.

Phoned the insurance company who told me to contact the bank as it would take them two weeks to sort out the mess. Was going up to town anyway and popped into the bank who cancelled the direct debit returning my account to credit with sufficient funds to meet the revised quote.

Thought that would be the end of the matter but no, late last week received two letters dated the same day from the insurance company saying that they were experiencing problems trying to take the revised amount from my bank account and could I contact them to set up a new direct debit. Phone call was duly made and was advised that there was no problem taking the money from my account and that they would be taking the payment early next month........ Let's see what will happen next month.....

Keith

... a quick look at my bank account online revealed that the insurance company (related to the bank) had charged the amount of the original quote and not the revised lower quote.

This sort of thing makes me glad I continue to post a paper cheque (despite the inconvenience) rather than permit electronic billing.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon Awl,

Well I've sat through the meeting which for me was basically a waste of time. The worrying thing is our new boss joined the RAF aged 16, 22 days before I left the RAF after 12 years and that wasn't my first job!!!! I feel old.

It's pancake Day, yes our much delayed pancake Day was finally enjoyed.

• RMweb Gold

This sort of thing makes me glad I continue to post a paper cheque (despite the inconvenience) rather than permit electronic billing.

It was the reverse for me. Problems with cheques going missing encouraged me to do online bill paying!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I can only guess that the insurance co don't read about your adventures on here.........

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Still looking into suitable sheds, I've seen a metal one that looks as if its suitable, five feet by five feet and about two feet deep. A closer examination of the old shed revealed that moisture had gotten underneath the felt near the eaves and started rotting the timber and the snow we had recently had been blown inside. A new shed was needed soon as the old one had been there for nigh on thirty years with only a new coat of preservative every few years.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

MRI scan on back duly done.

Arrived at hospital for 4.05 allowing plenty of time to find a parking spot for my 4.15 appointment. The car park isn't really big enough for the throughput of patients and visitors.

Parked by 4.06......

Checked in at the desk and in the mobile van by 4.10

Scan done and out before 4.25.

So no complaints there.

Car park departure coincided with the end of visiting time and it took longer to get off the car park (4.50) than arriving and having the scan done. And £1.90 for two hours on the car park as a minimum stay. 

Now have to wait 10-14 days for the results to get to my GP.

Lots to do tomorrow to finish some tests and write them up.

Have a good Chewsday folks.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 8