The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Today was stressful. Dayle woke with excruciating pain any time she bent her back. We started off at emerg (after buying a couple of thick newspapers). We were seen fairly promptly and she had an x-ray and ultrasound. They gave her a bunch of painkillers and changed her antibiotics.  Have I said that we've spent the last 2 weeks with a cold and devastating coughs? Thursday the GP diagnosd her with bronchitis.  She's a little more comfortable now, but did give a yelp when she turned the wrong way in bed.

Ships: I had two transatlantic trips at age 2. The ships were the Kern Esk and Kern Volona (possibly Cairn?). Nothing bigger than a car ferry since (or the steam Rail Ferry across Lake Michigan).

There's a picture on the wall of my father on the Queen Mary, Christmas 1942. Taken by the RAF, we can't make him out. Apparently 15,000 troops on it. I don't remember if this is crossing the Atlantic or going off to the middle east. 

• Like 11

Morning All,

It is another fairly chilly morning, but it is still much more pleasant than the grey and wet weather we had for most of the early part of the winter.

Glad to hear that Debs is progressing, albeit slowly.

Oh well - I have a rather busy day, so I guess I had better get on!

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Mawnin‘ awl. Will try to look in again later, but certainly needed to express relief at having heard from Debs. Onwards and upwards, however slowly, but as long as it goes in the right direction, that’ll be all right, I guess.

NGT10 instruction had to be called off due to staff shortage, so a splitty beckons today. Meh.

Later...

• Like 14

Good morning one and all

After my exertions yesterday, or at least what passes for them, there is much less expanded polystyrene in my toolbox, which as a bonus is much tidier.  How long that happy state will last is anyone's guess.  While cooking lunch I managed to dent a can of pineapple rings simply by standing on it.  Later I spent quite a while leafing through some 1960s magazines trying to find a reference to an abstruse aspect of railway history that I felt should have been widely reported and spent a happy hour watching a DVD that I found under the sofa while looking for something else and do not recall buying.  Now, Dr Freud, what does all that say about me?

This morning there will be a purposeful stride into town.  The first call will be at the surgery to secure further ingredients of chemical warfare.  The second will be at Tesco Metro to confirm firstly that I made two donations of £2 to charity last week and secondly to buy two more lottery tickets.  Later I hope to discuss menu options for Thursday with Poorly Pal.  Clue: it will be stir-fry or stir-fry.

May the week ahead continue to bring good news of those on the sick list

Chris

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Off to Whitechapel in an hour. No breakfast today, just water. As the post procedure meal is now a biscuit I will break my fast properly with a sandwich before returning on the train.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

For BR 60103,

Just 3 months before this trip Queen Mary sunk a ship, unfortunately it was HMS Curacoa with the loss of 338 men, some sad stories here...http://ww2today.com/2nd-october-1942-troopship-liner-queen-mary-sinks-hms-curacoa

The route of the Queen Mary when your Dad was on it...

Dec 23, 1942 to Dec 29, 1942 Gourock to Freetown 6 days, 9 hours,  37 minutes ( Freetown, Sierra Leone)

Dec 30, 1942 to Jan 5, 1943 Freetown to  Cape Town 5 days, 18 hours, 0 minutes

Jan 7, 1943 to Jan 15, 1943 Cape Town to Aden 8 days, 4 hours, 45 minutes

Jan 15, 1943 to Jan 18, 1943 Aden to Suez. 2 days, 10 hours, 0 minutes

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

'Tis raining here and the forecast says it will become heavy and persistent at times.

Bit puzzled as to why Chris was standing on a tin of pineapple rings whilst cooking lunch. Perhaps he has a high level hob and couldn't reach properly?   :jester:

Yesterday was very enjoyable with Nicki and the grandchildren here but the time passed all too quickly, as it always does when you're having a good time.

Today I will mainly be comparing home insurance quotes. Whoopee!

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 17

Am happy to report feeling back on top after a bout of food poisoning a week ago. IV fluids on Tuesday made a big difference and kidney function was measured as back to normal after being tested on Thursday. Getting that news late on Friday was very reassuring.

It's rare to see frozen precipitation here in the valleys after the ides of Februarius, but that's what we had today in multiple bouts. Where I live there was no accumulation, but a colleague sent me a picture of his deck showing a few inches and leaving a family birthday celebration over the river in Vancouver, Washington early this evening we retreated south from big wet flakes that were accumulating quickly, We will see our coldest nights of the year so far in the next few days and roads may be icy tomorrow. We'll see nothing more than a few degrees below zero, but it's been an odd winter so far.

After an unusually less wet and cool month or so with the early bulbs blooming, winter is reminding us of the calendar.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

• RMweb Premium

Hey up! With 120mm of rain forecast for tomorrow we need our rain coats...which "we" have "lost".

So more wine must be drunk before we face Cyclone Gita ( and you thought the UK has some stupid names for storms!

Among other things today we visited the Gallipoli exhibition at Te Papa. Very thought provoking except for the people using Facebook on their mobiles. If this exhibition visits Britain you must try and visit.

Glass of wine beckons......wish us luck for tomorrow!

Hope it goes well Tony and Chris.

Baz

On tour......

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning awl from just north of Ikea. I can report a major victory in the home emptying stakes. The back bedroom now has a usable bed in it and no boxes of 'stuff'. I will have to do a trip to the container and another to the charity shop sometime today.

Beth has departed for the supermarket and I will have church duties shortly. Later this morning I'm off to the funeral of one of my Inspectors. Donal 'Jock' Scorgie was from Aberdeen and before joining the police had been a railway fireman working from Aberdeen to Edinburgh. He had many tales about the drivers he worked with. Apparently there was one whose only technique was to just pull the regulator straight back, induce a slip and the fire would go up the chimney. He had to rebuild the fire three times on that journey. He did well though as he got to 90 so drew his pension for 10 years longer than he paid it. Not a bad result.

This evening it's a club night with 10 minute slots for us to show off our latest work. I'm going to show pictures of how to transport a layout to France.

Good to her more encouraging news from Debs. Good wishes with procedures to Tony and Mick (NB).

Hope that Baz and his Mrs survive the cyclone OK.

Regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

The rain appears to have stopped but I shall not e tackling the oak tree today as it is basically done - a few straggly bits left but the finches (various) seem to like one or two of them so they can remain until the autumn.  Mrs Stationmaster is apparently thinking of targetting further work on the front garden but that will probably be a solo task apart from me having to move the bin round for her as it is rather heavy. No major plans for today but I might bother to venture forth to acquire a newspaper, or I might not.

Have a good day one and all and may Debs upward trend continue and I hope we'll hear from Mal before long.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Good morning one and all

Snip<  Later I spent quite a while leafing through some 1960s magazines trying to find a reference to an abstruse aspect of railway history that I felt should have been widely reported and spent a happy hour watching a DVD that I found under the sofa while looking for something else and do not recall buying.  Now, Dr Freud, what does all that say about me?

Chris

It says, Chris, that you are the male of the species! I certainly resemble your statement!

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Out today to purchase a new shed, nothing fancy, the ones I am looking at are not much more than a largish wardrobe. This time it will be a plastic or metal one and anyway valuable items such as power tools are kept in the house. Thats it for now, be back later.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Out today to purchase a new shed, nothing fancy, the ones I am looking at are not much more than a largish wardrobe. This time it will be a plastic or metal one and anyway valuable items such as power tools are kept in the house. Thats it for now, be back later.

We bought one of the plastick ones. Only problem being that the door hinges snapped in the wind. There were 2 features on the top and bottom of the door to supplement the hinge but these were pretty useless.

Best thing to do is make sure you put a lock on the doors. Not to protect the contents but to stop the doors flying open and snapping the hinge. We now wedge them shut with a wheel barrow.

• Like 2

In Barrow submarines are built as boats, surface vessels are ships.

Good morning from a less windy Wellington. A big cyclone ..Gita is about to whack into New Zealand on Tuesday. We are due to be on the train to Hamilton on Tuesday morning..it i going to be very wet and there is talk of issuing a state of emergency here. If it's like anything else we have seen the Kiwi will just see it as another day.

Off for breakfast and then...a bit of walking about.

And, for your own knowledge bank the NZ wines we buy in Britain cost the same here as it does in places like Moreasons back home. Not bad for something transported around the world. And Vat is 5% higher in the UK than GST is here.....

Meanwhile, elsewhere in New Zealand....

• RMweb Gold

' Morning all from red dragon land.

Sun shining.

Much prefer life on "the loco" these days, speaking of which, we went to the big r***way, yesterday, and had a ride behind 6430.   Now, that has got injector valve handles at a height that a young lady* can reach without going on tippy toes or getting out the step ladder!  So, will I get to drive one....?  Pretty please.   :tender:   :locomotive:

* young lady - I frequently get called this down at the track...I sure don't know why...  :scratchhead:   :jester:

but I like it!   :imsohappy:

That is because you are younger than the loco!!

• Like 16