The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

John had better tell Debs there is a real need for a clear up in this place - not only are there even more folk with real trains in their avatar but 'someone' is even using a model train for his. Poor lass will be overwhelmed with work sorting it all out when she gets back among us but good to hear she's on the up. No doubt Mal will be back among us in person very soon as well so hoping he too is well on the road to recovery.

Meanwhile I see we have trespassers approaching our curtilage - laddo has gone out so his beer supply is not secured but my bottles of Scottish malt medicine are well hidden. Don't bother with the local rag Ian as the Letters page was full of local councillors and ex-councillors slinging insults at each other. BTW if you see this before arrival The Bell is under new management so might be worth a look, especially as you have to pass it to get to The Bull and you no doubt know that you should not leave The Bird In Hand (generally reckoned as the best proper pub in the town) out of any tour - I'm sure you know where it is and but a few minutes walk from the Lovibonds brewery. Alas the time is very long gone when you would have found me behind the bar in The Red Cross Inn - which is also long gone.

Have a good day one and all, and it's clear that Mr & Mrs Roundhouse are going to enjoy theirs

We didn't notice the Bell but the Bull is good and Brewing Breakespears on its small brewery set up. Also stopped in the Station which was OK. The Victoria was shut but supposedly has Rebellion ales amongst the range. There a sign after a new landlord so may be its closed till then.

Lovibonds quiet but good for craft beers and now sitting in the Bird In Hand which is the first pub that we ever visited in Henley-on-Thames many years ago.

edit

Yes do recall walking past the Bell on the opposite side of the road to Boots but wasn't open at the time.

post-1557-0-14165700-1518874045_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-97487800-1518874074_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-99005200-1518874098_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-73289000-1518874131_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-70159000-1518874159_thumb.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 15

• RMweb Gold

With the Obergrumpenfuhrer still away in Reading, I am trying to catch up on administrative tasks.

As I write this, the Curio cutter is generating elephant finger puppets from thin card.  These are to be used for some Girlguiding event in the near future, so 'brownie' points may well be awarded.

The rest of the day will be filled with various household maintenance tasks of a non mind stimulating nature.

Earlier today I went out to do a quick shop. Fortunately I had my wits about me for in the space of 50 yards I had  first some hipster type and then a young child all try to throw themselves under the wheels of the car.  However, these were only the supporting acts as a gentleman of more senior years reversed out into the road directly in front of me.  Fortunately I saw his  reversing lights come on, so although I was then anticipating him starting to move back, the sudden rush backwards into the road was a tad unnerving although I stopped with room to spare.  Judging by the look on the face of his front seat passenger as he shot back, I suspect a seat cleaning and pants changing exercise is currently being undertaken.

Next set of elephants please!

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Afterñoon awl, Inner Temple Here,

A good solid 6.5 hours sleep was had, followed by probably an hours dozing on the sofa.

Newbyfords picture of boats sailing appears to be of a large fleet of Optimist dinghies. They are a fairly stable floating box, generally used to train beginners. Just under 8 ft long by 4 ft wide. We've a few at my sailing club.

I tried to take Ben the Border Collie down the garden from his morning patrol, when several shots were heard from the direction of the pheasant shoot. He turned and ran back to the house, something in his past makes him terrified of load noises.

I've finally sealed one end of the alley, so that's finished until the summer, when I may throw a bucket of paint at it. The first section of reinforcing the old shed roof to the alley roof is now done, so 10 ft by 3 ft section of the old roof was removed, then the wall extended up by two planks so I can build level shelves inside the shed and inside the alley.

Ben Came out later with SWMBO and a mugacoffee, while it was quiet, but then shooting started again, so he came and hid between us. When we started throwing his ball around he forgot the guns for most of the time.

It got quite warm in the alley, so the sealing seemed to work ok..

Time to.. cover the eyes..

• Like 14

yello...

Yesterday non-events mostly, but I did POE.

In the evening the Mrs and I went to see "The Post". Very good movie IMHO.

Today, quiet, and some modeling (DON'T TELL DEBS!!!!) since the Mrs is off to hang out with MiL for most of the day. MiL in better spirits and partook of breakfast and reading the paper yesterday.

Hope your Saturday pleases you all...

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Busy day at work. Lots of things repaired and fixed (serves me right for having two weeks off)

Back again at it tomorrow.

There may be some modelling, eating and drinking tonight.

Catch up later.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 16

It's not the largest by any means. Just over 3000 passengers when full and 1200 crew.

The Allure of the Seas and Regal Princess in port at the same time are larger. Allure of the Seas can carry somewhere around 5000 passengers and Regal is 3560.

We also saw Harmony of the Seas which can accommodate up to 5400.

If you want a floating metropolis - the MSC Seaside was also in the area, but we didn't see it. Maiden voyage was November 2017 - it is listed as the 14th largest cruise ship and carries only 5118 passengers.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=M04e84Wd&id=2E18547707A78802CDB45913CC07E386AC770F05&thid=OIP.M04e84WdzmVs0n_CagK5KgHaDq&q=msc+seaside+passenger+capacity&simid=608035863643622894&selectedIndex=10&ajaxhist=0

There is a water park on the top deck......... There are no cabins without windows - those on the inside overlook a central atrium.

I'll post a couple more pics later.

Cheers,

Mick

We were on the Allure of the Seas in 2011, when it was the largest passenger-carrying ship in the world - it was 2 inches longer than a sister ship built to the same design!

The cabins on that ship are in two 'towers', one on each side of the ship. Cabins on the outside have sea views (obviously). From about halfway back, there is a space between the towers, and cabins on the inside look into this space. At the stern there is a funfare in this space. Further forward, there is an area called Central Park, with planted gardens, its own crew of gardeners, and its own population of garden birds which travel with the ship!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

If there is one thing that matches my idea of hell it's a cruise ship. A floating tin can crowded with thousands of people.

I'm not that fond of big exhibitions, just to many people.

I have just received a complaint that I came back from the day out with The Kimblewick looking too clean:

post-6879-0-74500100-1518893226_thumb.jpg

To be honest, this isn't like Irish hunting. Irish hunting is faster, wilder and muddier plus there's enough alcohol to sink a cruise liner.

Will try harder if there's a next time.

• Like 15

Good evening one and all. A very hectic week has kept me away from ER and the whole of RMWeb so I return with lots to catch up on. My unread topics runs into a second page and there are well over 200 unread posts on ER's alone. It is unlikely that I will be able to catch up on all of the posts on here so my apologies to anything I have missed.

I have read back a couple of pages and I was pleased to see news of Deb's improvement. My good wishes go to her for continued improvement. I was saddened to read Tony and Aditi's news of Robbie's passing. My condolences to them. As an animal lover myself I can empathise with the sadness that they must be feeling. Today we have received similar news about the canine friend of Sarah's uncle who has also headed off to the great kennel in the sky. Animals can provide so much love and companionship that they do leave a gaping hole when they do leave us.

I have also seen some references to some health issues relating to Mal. I have not seen details of this - but provide good wishes to him all the same. To anyone else I have missed my good wishes go to those in need.

The week just gone has seen me start out at the new school. I approached the week with a sense of trepidation and found the first few days as tricky as I expected. Thankfully the class are beginning to respond and I have started to get a better idea of the routines and expectations of the new place. I have to say that the staff have been very welcoming and helpful. They also seem to have a better morale than the place I have just left, despite being under some of the same management. Their more positive outlook has certainly helped.

Despite the positive start I continue to look at other possible areas of employment. I visited another school about a possible deputy headship on Thursday evening and I continue to monitor the job situation at the old place. Interestingly a new colleague had met my old headteacher earlier in her professional career. She described him as "weird". That raised a smile, and my spirits somewhat.

Being back in the classroom full time has meant a very hectic week. The longer journey to work has also contributed to a week where I do not feel I have had much downtime. However we have now broken up for half term which means there will be plenty of time to rest and catch up on sleep. Last night I also caught up with my best friend for a much needed drink. We had not managed a night out since early December so it was a much needed catch up. Today I have made it over to the Sileby Model Railway show and spent an enjoyable few hours. Tonight Sarah and I should get a chance to sit down together for a quiet meal and some quality time. Much needed.

Best wishes to you all.

Andy

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

John had better tell Debs there is a real need for a clear up in this place - not only are there even more folk with real trains in their avatar but 'someone' is even using a model train for his.  

I wonder who that is?   :scratchhead:        ..........I've got an idea - tell her my name is Pike.  :yes:

If there is one thing that matches my idea of hell it's a cruise ship. A floating tin can crowded with thousands of people.

I'm not that fond of big exhibitions, just to many people.

I initially thought that as well but it's the only way I can get The Boss afloat. Now it doesn't seem that crowded to me and we're off on our 3rd cruise on Britannia in April - back to Norway again as we liked it so much.

post-5890-0-48055400-1518894601_thumb.jpg

Up to 4324 passengers & 1398 crew. 143,730 GT and at 330 metres slightly longer than The Shard is tall  (310m)

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Ships I sailed on only carried about 40 crew.  And 160,000 tons of cargo.......

I have sailed on something larger than a rowing boat................... the Shields' Ferry.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

John had better tell Debs there is a real need for a clear up in this place - not only are there even more folk with real trains in their avatar but 'someone' is even using a model train for his.

I wonder who that is? :scratchhead:

Me too.

Mike obviously can't count.

Edited by BoD
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

I have just received a complaint that I came back from the day out with The Kimblewick looking too clean:

attachicon.gifIMG_20180215_143157_1518715047375.jpg

To be honest, this isn't like Irish hunting. Irish hunting is faster, wilder and muddier plus there's enough alcohol to sink a cruise liner.

Will try harder if there's a next time.

Get photoshop, you could really make yourself look grubby.

Or come and join me down at the river.

• Like 8