The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Only in Telfland!!

This has appeared in both the local and national press:

At the beginning of the clip you can see the 3 x 5.5" howitzers on the roundabout.

Those were the ones I mentioned some time ago that having stood on the roundabout for some time had to be returned to the MoD pdq for deactivation!

Of interest to railway archaeologists is that this is the A518 and this stretch was built along the track bed of the old ex LNWR line from Wellington to Stafford.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Having returned from the land of the Aylesbury duck my conclusion is that Fiat's are probably not for me.

As mentioned earlier, after an hour and a half in the company of said Fiat, I felt that a car is too needy if it beeps if you dare use anything less the 4th gear at about 18mph

Apart from that, why a hire car?

Distance travelled. 120 miles. If I'd used my own car at 40p per mile that would be £48.

Hiring the car cost more, plus £17 petrol. Plus the time to claim back the petrol money. Plus the time to request the car, have the request authorised, booked etc. Plus the time to write up the bumps and scrapes at delivery and provide photographic evidence to defend the company from the hire car firm. 

From an environmental perspective, two hire car people had to drive the car over to my house using two cars, with one car taking them back. This is then reversed when the collect it. That adds some 90 miles as an overhead for my 120 mile trip. It appears I also get a bill for their petrol too. 

I anticipate a "I don't make the rules" response when I argue the t@ss on this. 

Thankfully I'm too old and grumpy to take this lying down.

I feel a campaign coming on. :)   

• Like 8

And then the sun came out!

post-25691-0-61623300-1518720699_thumb.jpg

Torri and Shona don't seem to mind the cold. That's 'cos they need of a good haircut :)

post-25691-0-75557900-1518720724_thumb.jpg

The weather bodes well for next week. I'll be skiing near Jellystone in Wyoming. It's almost in Idaho, but it's at the opposite corner of the state and most of the 500 miles to get there is through Montana.

• Like 18

... There were one or two other minor twists from the usual story - only minor ones but sufficient to hopefully get people thinking.  And a very good script although some of the jokes, including the one about Marmite, alas fell on stony ground;  maybe some of the Valentine's Day audience were there more for an evening out rather than a bit of a mental challenge offered by the more subtle jokes?

Perhaps they were hoping for a good beating with clubs followed by a beheading in keeping with the commemoration of the day?

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifDSCN3660.JPG

Torri and Shona don't seem to mind the cold. That's 'cos they need of a good haircut :)

attachicon.gifDSCN3661.JPG

The weather bodes well for next week. I'll be skiing near Jellystone in Wyoming. It's almost in Idaho, but it's at the opposite corner of the state and most of the 500 miles to get there is through Montana.

Do you expect to see Yogi Bear?

• Like 3

Debs

Message, thankfully, from herself today.

helllo its me im ok . sorry forbeing aworry, debs

unquote.

It came as I was teaching - haven't been able to properly respond yet. To say I was happy to get it is an understatement.

While I was writing this a message came through from Sister Jen that is also reassuring. She says that Debs is very tired but in a better frame of mind.

Will post more later.

John

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Good to hear Debs is improving.

Evening form a slightly milder Surrey than last night.

At the moment we are catching an earlier train from London Bridge and changing at East Croydon as our normal through train is always late (its not been on time into Redhill for well over a year when we have been on it) and is often delayed by the one we now catch from East Croydon as that is also late and splits at Redhill delaying the Thameslink and then our normal through service meaning that we miss the bus home.

The downside is that we have to stand for the last leg and also we have to climb up to the gods on East Croydons recently added footbridge.

So tonight as usual we check the departure screens to make sure the train home is only a few minutes late and departing form its normal platform, up the steps then check the departure board again before decending onto the platform, only for the train then to be replatformed by the time we got down the footbridge steps, so it was back up again through the crowds doing the same but for the train that switched platform with ours! I suppose it is exercise.

Anyway, back home as it was milder I could do some more timber work to the fiddleyard boards for Banbury before bringing them back into the house to wire the new track.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

East Croydon .....

Or you could have been at the House of Fun this morning. At 9am I am asked by a lady who I take to be a little older than me when the next Windsor train might be. 9.08 on this platform is my reply. Around 20 minutes later she approaches me again with the same request. 9.38 on this platform, platform 6, I say. I see her in the crowd as the 9.38 pulls in and I carry out my platform duties. “This is the Windsor train” I say to her. She just stands there. The 10.08 comes and goes before she asks me again. 10.38 I tell her. I also mention that I specifically told her which train was going to Windsor almost an hour earlier. “Oh no” says she “That wasn’t the train I wanted. I never get onto blue trains because they go the wrong way”.

It’s going to be a long wait ...... almost all Windsor trains are blue except on Sundays.

Good to hear direct from Debs which hopefully means there is improvement.

Night all.

• Like 3

Right 

Been in conversation with Sister Jen

Debs is feeling alone and must be bored. She's said to Sister Jen that feeling isolated and alone that hurts the most, but being a very private person (witness the message I relayed earlier) she won't let her address be given.

Sister Jen suggests that we should try to gently stimulate her to alleviate boredom

We still have no address clearance, so could you please message me with whatever you want to say and I'll text her. I can't release her number (Data protection and all that) so I'll relay things.

Rather than me reporting it'll be the next best thing to talking direct to Debs.

I think we need to keep this going for several days to have the best effect, so don't worry about sending me too many messages, little and often may be the best thing for Debs.

From the messages already sent - it's working.

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

We still have no address clearance, so could you please message me with whatever you want to say and I'll text her. 

Just tell Debs we need her back, otherwise we'll keep posting railway pictures and mentioning mudelling........

Cheers,

Mick 

• RMweb Gold

It's very clear to me that Debs has got to be told what has been going on here in her absence with people posting railway pictures and talking about modelling - in fact you might even suggest to her that if she'd like a list of names of those who need to be dealt with you can probably find someone to snitch on them.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Evening everyone

Well after dinner I didn’t do an awful lot, although I did do a bit of tidying up in the attic. Mainly clearing away the empty emulsion tins, then refitting all the sockets and light switch. I always remove them when decorating, one of my pet hates is seeing sockets and switch pens covered in paint! I also took up the paint needed for repainting the woodwork and the varnish for re doing the floor.

This evening we had James round for tea, so on my way home from the baths this morning, I called at the butchers and picked up a large steak and ale pie, which we will have for tea. Whilst there I also picked up the weekly meat rations too!

Glad to hear some good news re Deb’s, mmmm, I must find a modelling photo to post, that might get her into action!

Goodnight all.

• Like 16

attachicon.gifDSCN3660.JPG

We passed through BC a bit north of you today, and the weather and scenery were as superb as yours. At one point, my wife was on the phone to her sister in Scotland (thanks to the wonders of cellphones and calling cards). She was trying to describe adequately the combination of brilliant sunshine, sparkling snow covering the ground and views stretching miles in several directions - and failing miserably! A great day of travel.

• Like 16

Good morning one and all

This is the last available day to get Milton Camel, the cameo layout for which I find myself in the project team, fit for exhibition.  It is awaiting attention in a small village in Central Bedfordshire.  Come hell or high water it will be at Biggleswade show tomorrow and so will I, in unfamiliar role and even less familiar garb.  I am catching an early bus across to Biggleswade in the morning so may well not post.  No doubt there will be a tale to tell on Sunday.

The delivery brat needs to be reported again as he/she has not delivered the local rag for four weeks.  I have now adjusted my routine so as to collect the wretched comic on Wednesday or Thursday.  All this purposeful striding into town may lead to a modicum of fitness.  Yeah, right.

There is encouraging news of Debs to go with the usual best wishes to the ailing, recovering and missing

Chris

• Like 16

Morning All,

We had a little snow yesterday, which has frozen overnight and we also have thick, thick fog!

The temperature is hovering around freezing.

Great to hear that Debs is improving.

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 12