The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

It's certainly the one I use most Mick probably because it was the first when I started about 10 years ago. I do use several others and there is another I'd prefer to use but unfortunately (and I think I understand why) they don't do pre-orders.

It really is a shame that we have to use the box shifters at all, as I much prefer to use a model shop, even if the cost is a bit more.  Regrettably, the two in Lancaster and Morecambe have bitten the dust, and we now have only one open nearby in Carnforth - after that, the nearest is Mike's C&M models in Carlisle, and that is where I intend to buy in future when funds start to permit new purchases.

• Like 13

post-2818-0-82905300-1488959739.jpg

Greetings all from the boring borough. Today is new boiler day. Yippee. 

I disappear for a few days and everything goes to hell. 

Condolences to Rick and family on their loss. 

Positive thoughts and well wishes to Mal as he improves. 

Poor Debs, up and down up and down. Hopefully no more false starts and this time her recovery leads her home. 

Ian A. Best wishes with mil 100 not out is a good innings. Hopefully the rest of her days are comfortable and stress free. 

To any I've missed, apologies. It seems we as a collective are going though one of those rough patches. 

No pancakes here yesterday. SWMBO and I alternate Sunday breakfasts. One week I do a full English on the bbq, the next she usually does pancakes, bacon, maple syrup. No ash today either. For us its just another Wednesday. 

Managed to slip off the edge of the step when getting off the train Monday night. Thought nothing of it until 4am when it felt like someone had stuffed my foot into a meat grinder. Still hobbling about but compared to the hardships of others here, tis but a scratch. 

Enough of my mutterings. Enjoy your day. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

• I see SERCO have taken over the carrillion Hospital maintenance contracts...

Which is good for Keeping the Hospitals maintained,

Which is good for keeping Staff in work

Which is bad for the staff long term, as Serco are the kings of Carp pay..

There was an accident on the M6 at Carlisle yesterday when 23 tons of PVA glue were spilled onto the carriageway and slip road. It has been reported today that the removal of the glue is proving very difficult, but the team are sticking to the task!!

BBC Radio Cumbria reports this morning that police are asking drivers to adhere to the diversion!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. A little bit late this morning as I had to wait for some Windows 10 updates. A bit warmer than of late but still chilly. Hoping things go well for Debs, Mal and other ER's who may be under the weather and thoughts for the bereaved. Thats it for now, back later.

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Quick visit as I'm shortly off out in order to walk down the hill to drive the Good Doctor home from work as she started at 04.00 this morning in order to get some stocktaking done before opening for business.  A bit damp out there but not raining although we have plenty forecast for tonight when Mrs Stationmaster and I are taking each other t'Mill at Sonning to see Justin Elliott's Simon Williams' version of 'The Hound of The Baskervilles;  I wonder how they'll manage the Grimpen Mire?

Have a good  day one and all

• Like 19

Blowing a gale here, trying to snow and the sea looks very grey just now. According to our forecast, it is the better part of the day! Rain and stronger winds expected this afternoon, so hatches are battened down and we won’t be going anywhere quickly. Today’s walk will be replaced by a session on the indoor bike.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

BBC Radio Cumbria reports this morning that police are asking drivers to adhere to the diversion!

I see that you are glued to the news reports on this :sungum:

Morning from a sunny but cold London. No bus shown for us this morning on the phone apps so had to walk carefully to the station on slippery pavements, only for the bus to arrive in town as we got to the station. My other half is very nervous of ice when walking.

Phoned mum this morning to make sure she is still Ok after her fall yesterday. WIll phone her again later before we head for a few valentines drinks - Harveys do an ale called 'Kiss' at this time of year so hopefully our local will still have some left otherwise it will be Old for us.

Ordered the Hornby Golden Arrow set at a reasonable price form Rails as I am after ' Appledore' which I havent yet done myself. The coaches already have a home with one of our regular exhibition helpers who must have quite a large collection of Pullman coaches already happy to have these.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Back from shopping and I have to confess that I was tempted when passing a very good butcher so some more fillet steak has found its way home with us.

The Boss is extremely nervous when walking on icy pavements due to a nasty fall in Sainsbury's upper level car park a couple of years ago. The trouble is she hangs on to me like grim death with all her weight which makes it more likely we'll both go flying. Apparently that won't matter as her plan is to use me to cushion her fall!   :banghead:

• Like 1

Off to be ashed.

Best wishes all.

Bill

I grew up in a churchgoing family and had never come across this tradition until Younger Lurker started at the CofE primary school in Bexley, when I was a bit bemused to see a teacher with a dirty face...

I suppose Paddock Wood was very Low church

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

those are dropscones!

No they're not a pikelet has lots of holes for the butter to drain through like a crumpet, a dropscone doesn't have the holes.

• RMweb Premium

Happy Lunchtime one and all

Another fresh morning which actually felt colder the longer it got. A few rolling stock issues meant short trains for some but we ran everything. If you found yourself unable to squeeze into a 4-car train which should have been 10-car that isn’t a lot of comfort.

The Festival of St. Valentine will be acknowledged later. SWMBO doesn’t have access to these pages so I can safely divulge that she will be met from work by a handsome chap bearing flowers and card and with an Uber booked for the trip home. Or to an eatery of choice but she normally want to come home first.

Mother’s funeral is booked for the 2nd March. Lots to do before then. First on the agenda is a Muggatea.

Edited by Gwiwer

HUMP day...

Yesterday meeting with doctors/staff determined that MiL should be entered into a hospice care program. Mainly due to her frailty, diagnosed enlarged heart and additional conditions resulting in her being now very unsteady on her feet amongst other issues...

This morning we'll head to the hospital for her likely discharge, then she'll be transported back to her assisted living apartment which we spent yesterday afternoon re-arranging so it can accommodate a "hospital bed", one of the requirements of the hospice program.

Mrs is quite exhausted with all this, however we're looking forward to a special Valentine's Day dinner tonight.

For the second year of what we're trying to make a tradition, we're going to the local conservatory for their Valentine's Day gourmet dinner "with roving musicians". I may pass on the musicians, not sure they will be to my taste ;) <groan>

Warming up here, -6 and sunny first thing and expected to be +4 for a high.

Hope any Valentine's plans you have are successful, enjoy the day.

For the second year of what we're trying to make a tradition, we're going to the local conservatory for their Valentine's Day gourmet dinner "with roving musicians". I may pass on the musicians, not sure they will be to my taste ;) <groan>

10cc comes to mind (unbidden, I hasten to add).

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 2

There was an accident on the M6 at Carlisle yesterday when 23 tons of PVA glue were spilled onto the carriageway and slip road. It has been reported today that the removal of the glue is proving very difficult, but the team are sticking to the task!!

I hope they've all been provided with gum boots and clagoules.

All of which reminds me of a traffic accident on a coastal highway here in Oregon last summer.

A vehicle filled with 7,500 lbs of hag fish (known as slime eels) was damaged in the collision. The hag fish has a peculiar defense mechanism. When stressed it produces a particularly nasty and slippery slime. The highway was closed for hours.

A bit o'glue would be a doddle to clean up compared with this mess.

Story here, footage here.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

A'noon.

Had my stiches out today, 9 OK, 2 OWWWW!  Unfortunately sentenced to another 4 weeks partial weight bearing only, this is getting tedious, but after a year I don't want any setbacks so will be a good lad. 

AndrewC, I recognise that feeling....hope you're OK.  My serious Lisfranc injury was so easily done, just by slipping on a muddy bank when walking - 2 year recovery....with permanent limp (as in gait...if you please...) and residual pain forever.

Spending a lot of time thinking of Debs just now, and Rick, Mal and all who ail.

Edited by New Haven Neil

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon from the far south east corner where nature is taking its time to wake up this year. However took a gander round the garden and spotted that the first daffodils are trying to make an appearance:

attachicon.gifDaffodilPatrol-02.jpg

That sure is an early outing for the weedkiller train, isn’t it? :mosking:

E‘ning all. Back from our family visit since Monday night and settling in again.

Elise had her remaining wisdom teeth extracted this morning. My memories of my own extractions (four separate procedures as they were in difficult alignments and required the gums to be surgically opened, and stitched afterwards) continue to be so awful that I’m baffled about her extraction having been mostly painless! Mind you, I went through pretty much the same ordeal four separate times (in case I didn’t say so yet), including waking up on a blood-soaked pillow after the first time...

Rick, may I send you my thoughts and condolences on here as well...

Best wishes to everyone currently under the weather for whichever reason.