The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Overslept a bit this morning, woke up at 07:15 decided to lay in for 15 minutes and an hour later... Baz, I assume the tea you had was in a filter teapot, far less mess than using a strainer. I have been using one for a couple of years  and its no less convenient than tea bags. We should try to use fewer tea bags anyway as most if not all of the bags are now made from plastic. I don't like these fancy fruity teas either but I found a tin of Ruwanda black tea with saffron petals in the cupboard, I'm giving it a try and its quite a pleasant taste.

I'm about to upset all you tea drinkers, by saying that I like PGtips Instant granules that comes in a jar - with quite a lot of milk and definitely no sugar!

• Like 1

Hi there, Malcolm's wife Gabe here,

I hope I am posting this in the right spot for Malcolm's chums to catch up with news on Malcolm's progress after his 5 hour op on Tuesday. 

He's back out of Intensive care and doing nicely, recovering well. Pretty knackered, but he had his first sip of black tea and weak orange squash, which tasted like nectar to him :-)

And he texted his first text and was sat up in a chair for two hours today, which is progress.

Basically he just wanted his chums to know that he's fine. I'd go further and say he's doing extremely well in his recovery :-)

cheers

Gabe

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi there, Malcolm's wife Gabe here,

I hope I am posting this in the right spot for Malcolm's chums to catch up with news on Malcolm's progress after his 5 hour op on Tuesday. 

He's back out of Intensive care and doing nicely, recovering well. Pretty knackered, but he had his first sip of black tea and weak orange squash, which tasted like nectar to him :-)

And he texted his first text and was sat up in a chair for two hours today, which is progress.

Basically he just wanted his chums to know that he's fine. I'd go further and say he's doing extremely well in his recovery :-)

cheers

Gabe

Hi, Gabe, Mal.

This is exactly the right place to let us know how Mal is doing. We've all been keeping our fingers crossed for you both.

Thanks for the update and wish him a speedy recovery from all of us. 

Andy

Edited by AndyB
  • Like 6

.  Donk wasn't born when we were last there in 2002, not sure we will take him when we go, too worried he may get opened up to check for dodgy contents, he's precious to us.

Mrs Lurker continually reminds me that I wouldn't let her take her favourite bear to New York shortly after 9/11 for that very reason. He's been most places, since, accompanied by an increasing menagerie belonging to the Lurker boys....

Nice to hear / see better news of Debs, I hope that she continues to improve.

Good to hear the news from Mal too.

And congratulations to the Hippo family on the latest addition to the Muddy Hollow.

I went with Elder Lurker to a school 6th form interview last night - he did well, especially considering he had broken a tooth at school earlier that day. The interview was followed by a trip to the emergency dentist.

Half term beckons, and in fact is here for Younger and Mrs Lurker. They have gone to try to spend his Christmas book tokens in the big Waterstones on Piccadilly.

Have a good day and good weekend

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Having seen a forced perspective model in Model Rail this month, this view caught my eye when I was walking up to the Metro the other morning. 

post-4299-0-97373700-1518184720_thumb.jpg

Now, which of you is going to try and fit it in a Cake box?

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon everyone

It’s been a lovely sunny day here, it quite cold.

No decorating has been done today as it was declared that we needed to go to the Trafford Centre for a few bits and pieces. We also needed a couple of pizzas for tonight’s tea, as that was what had been requested last week by Amelia, who will be here with her dad around later. On the way home we called at the butchers for the weekly meat rations. Today they had some home smoked ham which they had small samples to taste, so after sampling some a purchased some and we had it for dinner. I’ll be buying some more next week when I go.

Gabe. Thanks for the update and hope Mal is feeling much better soon.

So, as I thought yesterday, no decorating has been done at all today.

Time to put my feet up and await the arrival of our visitors.

Back later

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Having seen a forced perspective model in Model Rail this month, this view caught my eye when I was walking up to the Metro the other morning. 

attachicon.gifmobile 2018 - jan feb 113.jpg

That is my favourite railway bridge - or actually it is two, side by side with no gap.  The angles underneath the arches are simply fantastic.  It's been 16 years since I saw it though!  Nice pint in the Crown Posada at the bottom there!

• Like 14

Gabe, thanks for the update on Mal...thought with him for a continued good recovery.

POETS - b!oody good thing too, I'm ready.

Great afternoon tea yesterday. Very nice to hear the arboretum are "testing the waters" with the event that they usually only put on over the holiday season. They're hoping to do it more regularly, got a huge "YES" and thumbs up from us as we talked the ear off of the manager.

Nothing much planned (YET!!) for the weekend except for getting Whitney dropped off on Sunday as Jemma is off on her next trip.

Maybe some modeling, we hope, and whatever else we can conjure up.

-17 and sunny here, we're heading FAST for sustained near record below zero "F" (the official scale of the US) winter lows again, clocking up several more nights this week including tonight and all weekend according to the forecast. Though with the sun now higher in the sky longer it's "difficult to sustain these low temperatures for too much longer" sayeth the seaweed twirlers   :O  Looking forward to a balmy -12 high today, should be all the way up to -7 by Sunday!! :jester:

Enjoy taking a POETS if you can, head for your weekend activities of choice.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

I was considering changing my avatar and title to GrandadDick, but then considered the implications of such:

Well, it does seem that your brand is diversifying... :jester:

post-4299-0-84319200-1518191182_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all,

Trip to Waitrose was rewarded with the sight of two real trains - i.e. the sort with separate locos on the front of them but a shortage of chestnut mushrooms and while I got the two packs I wanted there were only another two left for any body else.  Not sure if this is a feature of poor branch management or a consequence of them adopting a cheaper distribution model?  Amusingly I noticed that the Duchy Originals organical chestnut mushrooms come from the same place as Tesco organic mushrooms - but cost 49% more; nothing like a fancy label to make a few bob.

Only one motoring cockwomble encountered, and duly put in her place.  Why she couldn't get in the correct lane of two when turning left is beyond my understanding but alas she isn't alone in doing that by Caversham Bridge - and there's plenty of painted markings on he road to help the unthinking.

Enjoy the rest of your day folks

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

...  Amusingly I noticed that the Duchy Originals organical chestnut mushrooms come from the same place as Tesco organic mushrooms - but cost 49% more; nothing like a fancy label to make a few bob.

It's rumoured he's bringing out some organic seafoood for the masses - you'll find it in the "Serf and turf" range. 

:jester:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Neil

No we went up past Lake wakatipu then over the Crown range.

Donk would be fine...they would only X-ray him....

Bit Cooler this morning. Off to see the Franz Josef glacier today.

Mike, you were unlucky not to get a decent pie. It's the variety of them that's a problem!

Baz

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifmobile 2018 - jan feb 113.jpg

I hope you have stood on one of the bridges and said the following words of good luck

The Tyne, the Tyne, the coalie Tyne, the queen of all the rivers.

Then spit in the river...

Gabe,

Many thanks for the update. Hope progress goes apace

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Neil

No we went up past Lake wakatipu then over the Crown range.

Donk would be fine...they would only X-ray him....

Bit Cooler this morning. Off to see the Franz Josef glacier today.

Mike, you were unlucky not to get a decent pie. It's the variety of them that's a problem!

Baz

With you Baz- that was the road I had in mind, mis-remembered where it was - those hairpins!  We did it downhill, had to take two bites at some of them in the Land Cruiser!  I have video somewhere - happy memories.

• Like 16

I'm about to upset all you tea drinkers, by saying that I like PGtips Instant granules that comes in a jar - with quite a lot of milk and definitely no sugar!

Ever since my days in student flats, I have had only two requirements for the perfect cup of tea - it has to be hot, and someone else has to have made it.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I hope you have stood on one of the bridges and said the following words of good luck

The Tyne, the Tyne, the coalie Tyne, the queen of all the rivers.

Then spit in the river...

Gabe,

Many thanks for the update. Hope progress goes apace

Baz

I'll make sure to do so next time!

• Like 11