The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a village where there's some small bits of white stuff floating about in the air outside.   Good news from Debs and Neil seems to be making good progress.  Thoughts are very much with Mal and Gabe today as I believe that it's his Op today.   

Much talk on the gogglebox this morning about the Suffragetttes.   They never seem to mention the other part of the movement which I believe was called the suffragists who did not believe in breaking the law.   I had a collection of maiden great aunts who had been suffragists and who used to speak at rallies in Liverpool.  I know them when they were in their 90's and a remarkable set of ladies they were.  The interesting thing is that their mother had died you (After having 13 kids) and they had been brought up by their architect father and were encouraged to be independent from the outset.  Several of them got degrees as soon as women were admitted to Manchester University.   It was a privilege to have known them.

Anyway another good day of progress yesterday with another large area of the back bedroom cleared.  Half an hour of clearing produces another hour of work for me in fetching and carrying boxes to various destinations but it's worthwhile.   A good evening was had at the clubrooms where a little loco ventured across a baseboard joint for the first time.  More tracks are to be energised on Friday.

This morning I'm off to empty the car of boxes at the container then some banking to do.  This afternoon I will be cooking  fish pie then heading to the dentist for a replacement filling.  Hopefully the pie will be something that I can eat when I get home.

Regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Evening from dun me head in.

Trip up the gorge undertaken today. Very nice!

Nice seafood platter and a couple pints for tea.

Enjoy the REST of today

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Last evening saw the completion of the improvements to the point work on the shunting plank. Due to other demands on my time this has taken longer than expected.

Tonight we are hoping to get all the scenic boards erected in the garage in order to install the operating servos.

I have a feeling it will not be as warm as the workshop is.

Thought for the day:

I cut two pieces of timber:  Both are straight with no kinks or warps.

I've created an L girder with these, but once the glue has dried the resultant structure is no longer straight but has a distinct curve......................I have already made one which is perfect, but this is now the second that has warped.

I feel the solution will be to screw the batten to the wall and then apply the other bit of timber. I am on borrowed time if I spend longer on the computer as the Obergrumpenfuhrer is unusually active this morning.

Best hide!!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

A cool 2oC here but the sky is mainly blue and the sun is shining.

Messrs. Back and Hip are behaving so I had a good night's sleep.

Phone call from the surgery last night telling me I need to see the doctor to discuss cholesterol but it's not urgent.  Good oh! Hopefully as the blood sugar wasn't mentioned that must still be OK. Still waiting for the X-ray results so won't go until they're back.

Gemma and Joe visiting us after school and Bangers, Mash etc have been requested which is fine by me.

As it's a nice morning I may venture out for a walk.

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Currently bright and even occasionally sunny - G word duly uttered but with luck the weather might change/. This evening we have a forecast of 'light snow' however it won't be 'yellow snow' although teh temperature will feel like zero so quite how the seaweed wranglers reach those opposing conclusions is slightly beyond me.  But in the meanwhile we shall have visited Tesco for certain ingredients for this evening's meal - what an exciting life we lead.

Good news on the recovery front from Debs and Neil and hope all goes well for Mal if he is on today's list.

Enjoy your day one and all

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Last evening saw the completion of the improvements to the point work on the shunting plank. Due to other demands on my time this has taken longer than expected.

Tonight we are hoping to get all the scenic boards erected in the garage in order to install the operating servos.

I have a feeling it will not be as warm as the workshop is.

Thought for the day:

I cut two pieces of timber:  Both are straight with no kinks or warps.

I've created an L girder with these, but once the glue has dried the resultant structure is no longer straight but has a distinct curve......................I have already made one which is perfect, but this is now the second that has warped.

I feel the solution will be to screw the batten to the wall and then apply the other bit of timber. I am on borrowed time if I spend longer on the computer as the Obergrumpenfuhrer is unusually active this morning.

Best hide!!

You'll probably find the wall isn't flat(or vertical)

That's because most of them are in universities.

Or living with their parents, whinging on twitter/instagram/reddit/facebook/all of the above (delete as appropriate) about how offended they are about being called snowflakes. 

• Like 2

Or living with their parents, whinging on twitter/instagram/reddit/facebook/all of the above (delete as appropriate) about how offended they are about being called snowflakes. 

All this stuff about "safe spaces" - they only exist between the ears.

We didn't have all this rubbish in my day (start of the Nineties).

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Snowing here but it is very wet snow, as is its wont, being close to the coast.

Yesterday, on returning home from work, Mrs BoD asked what I had been up to.

Taking a leaf out of ChrisF's book I said "Oh....just unspecified pottering"

To which she replied "Yes, it really needed doing didn't it"

Sarcastic bu$$er.

• Like 1

I'm waiting for the objections when they read my comments on the work I'm marking.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Great to hear that Debs is on the up and best wishes to other ailing ER's. Chris, your mentioning 66 years since her maj was crowned reminded me that I am only a few months older than Prince Charles. I have also been retired for 10 years next month so the prospect of starting my first job at 70+ makes me glad that I am one of the common herd. Jamie, there was an item this morning on the BBC breakfast show where the Suffragists got a good mention. They interviewed the grandaughter of a Suffragist who said that her grandmother was one of several sisters bought up by their architect father who encouraged them. This was between 6 and 6:30.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Lots of stuff on social media today about the 100th anniversary of the Representation of the People Act. One of the things I remember about this act from school history is that it also largely abolished property qualifications for male(over 21) voters. Otherwise an awful lot of people returning from the war would have not been qualified to vote by the pre war rules. All women over 21 got the same rules in I think 1928.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Great to hear that Debs is on the up and best wishes to other ailing ER's. Chris, your mentioning 66 years since her maj was crowned reminded me that I am only a few months older than Prince Charles. I have also been retired for 10 years next month so the prospect of starting my first job at 70+ makes me glad that I am one of the common herd. Jamie, there was an item this morning on the BBC breakfast show where the Suffragists got a good mention. They interviewed the grandaughter of a Suffragist who said that her grandmother was one of several sisters bought up by their architect father who encouraged them. This was between 6 and 6:30.

There can't have been many in that category, I'll have a watch on catch up and see if we are related. Thanks for the heads up.

Jamie

• Like 8

Chris, your mentioning 66 years since her maj was crowned reminded me that I am only a few months older than Prince Charles. .

Not what I said, old bean.  She acceded to the throne 66 years ago today but was not crowned until June 1953.

Chris

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Not what I said, old bean.  She acceded to the throne 66 years ago today but was not crowned until June 1953.

Chris

I saw the coronation on my Grandmother's brand new television. Or so I have been told. I have no recollection of the event. I was born the previous September.
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Evening from dun me head in.

Baz

Are you including a visit to Waikikamukau?

That's because most of them areenrolled in universities.

My addition. Based upon many years of experience there is a vast reality chasm between “being enrolled in” and actually “being in” university. It was true in the 70s when I was (actually) in and it’s true now with numerous student neighbours. Some are very good at being in university, some are better at just being enrolled and at least two within earshot are far better at being in each other than anything they are enrolled to study ;)

Thawed. Muggertea 2 has helped. Now for some me-time.

• Like 16

I saw the coronation on my Grandmother's brand new television. Or so I have been told. I have no recollection of the event. I was born the previous September.

Rather like me with the moon landing, although I was one day short of 2 at the time.

Greetings from a cold and blustery London Bridge.

Not a lot to report in Lurker Towers, but good to hear news of improvement from Debs and Neil. Best wishes to Mal.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

A'noon.

Tx again for the good wishes.  A lot less pain today, but as you saw its not a pretty sight down there.  The incisions are on top of the earlier (much larger) ones which apparently is a better option for the scarring, but it's just as well I'm not a big sandal wearer.  I am assured they didn't use a chainsaw.  Being told they had to chip bits off was a little disconcerting.

Baz, I got a cab ride on that railway, on one of the bo-bo-bo 'Class 20's' - triple headed.  Played the 'Pom engine driver on holiday' card!  They were quite well liked, Mitsubishi built IIRC.  Great line too, very scenic.  F-I-L did nothing but moan about anything and everything.  Cab ride gave a nice break from him ;-)

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Based on today's trip to/from Tesco I have reached a variation on an old conclusion having seen two examples incorrectly on my side of the road.  The owners of BMW 5 series cars would seem to have financed their vehicles through the sale of their brain cells.

Separate conclusion regarding the female person two ahead of us in the queue at the checkout - I sincerely hope that she has a better understanding of what she is doing in the event that she drives anything at all, including a pony & trap or a herd of cattle.

Time for mushrooms.

• Like 1