The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Is that Julian, Gregorian or Chinese? Or is there another metric system from Napoleon that most of us don't know about?

I dunno, but Jules and his pal Greg really mucked things up. They should have divided the year into quarters of 91 days (2 x 30 + 1 x 31). The first day of the year would always start on a Sunday.

Then they would only have had to add one "Anyday" at the end of each year to get it up to 365 plus one additional "Anyotherday" every four years.

Of course, Anyday and Anyotherday would be global holidays. I'm pretty sure the Druids would have approved.

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Mick, never sit downstairs in a doubldeck coach. An errant bogie could, literally, cut you off at the knees.

Nice day spent travelling on preserved trains.Up to 27C but some rain may appear tomorrow. Have a great day (when you get up in the uk)

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

About 1am here. Good morning to the UK and Aus, albeit different days....

Managed to see the Amtrak Silver Star on our travels this morning.

The planned trip to the model shop was a no go as it was closed for vacation......

Car was swapped to a Chevrolet Equinox which has a more upright seating position for my ailing back.

Then just as Mrs and Junior NB were getting hungry and asking about finding a place for lunch, I realised where I was from looking at Google maps and rail fan locations. One of websites mentioned Lester's Diner and we were less than 100 yards from it.

They were pleased with my choice and many Brownie points were earned for a quick detour for some lineside photos after lunch.

A short shopping trip (thankfully) before a brilliant hockey match between the Florida Panthers and the Detroit Redwings. End to end and 2-2 until a winner from the home team with less than 9 seconds to go.

When returning to the car park, a passing fan heard us talking and asked if we were from Manchester. The cheek of it......

Drive down the Keys tomorrow with breakfast planned at a Cracker Barrel. Past experience of those should mean no more food is required until the evening!

If I can escape the family, I have another cunning plan to find a suitable sports bar in the evening in which to watch the Superbowl.

Have a good Sunday folks.

Cheers

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 18

... a brilliant hockey match between the Florida Panthers and the Detroit Redwings. End to end and 2-2 until a winner from the home team with less than 9 seconds to go.

About which Detroit were distinctly 'not happy'!

Drive down the Keys tomorrow ... 

Enjoy! - I'm sure you will. 

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

About which Detroit were distinctly 'not happy'!

Indeed.

Two goals by the Panthers that had to be confirmed by video replay.

Panthers v Canucks on Tuesday is on the schedule.

And just found another model shop that may be visited on the same day returning from the Keys.

Cheers

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 15

Good morning one and all

Today has started badly.  In the wee small hours the name of someone I used to know came into my head.  As he was a musician of some note I decided to use Google.  It told me that he died of cancer six years ago.  If you also knew Dave Totterdell you will understand why I am distressed.

Yesterday was better.  On an impulse I caught the bus to Tesco, enjoyed an eight items breakfast for £4.29 and was back home in time to catch Jenny Agutter on the radio.  The three pullovers that I laundered on Friday are now dry and, hoorah, will not need ironing.  I'm not sure that ironing pullovers is good for them in any case.  I secured a ticket for a gig in London next month which is, I hope, but a short distance from Farringdon station.  Then postie arrived, bringing the latest brochure from The Stables.  One of the concerts listed will need prompt action to secure tickets but by common consent I will benefit from more culture.  At odd times during the day I watched episodes of Mr Portaloo's adventures in the USA and Canada.  As I have actually been to Toronto I watched that one with particular interest.

What of the week ahead?  Today I will cook a lump of sirloin steak for lunch.  Tomorrow I need to visit the bank to fetch an up to date statement.  On Tuesday I will attend a talk at the LCGB and the next morning distil its essence into fewer than 300 words for the Club bulletin.  On Thursday I have to visit the branch surgery for the injection which is a vital part of my cancer treatment.  On top of all this there will be fodder runs and, sometime as yest undisclosed, a Camel project meeting.

It is so good to read encouraging news of some inhabitants of the sick list.  Warm thoughts to all who are ailing, recovering or missing.

Chris 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning All

So sorry that I've missed lots of posts and haven't rated some - I've been so busy here that the computer has been red hot, but not with RMWeb, regrettably.

I have managed to keep up with Debs' pogress thanks to John's posts, and I have skim read to get them.  Thanks for being our eyes and ears there.  And of course, my supportive greetings are freely given to the ailing.

Probably not back now for a day or two, as I've got a lot of tasks on at home, and also have to get my creative writing homework up to date.  I used to write on paper first, but now find it easier to go straight to Word, and I do seem to be improving as a result - it's so much easier to edit, and despite my fears, it has not really affected my thought processes.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Morning awl from a bright and sunny village.    Yesterday went well with a good breakfast and then a successful shopping expedition.  All that achieved whilst Beth went out for breakfast with two of her mates, that also went well and three chins were wagged a lot.  I even managed to clear a lot more of my modelling room  and the back of the car is full of crates that need to got to the container before they move to France.    Some Rugby was watched, I loved the drop goal at the end of the France Ireland game. 

Today will be a quiet one and I might even get more tidying done and clear some floorspace.  Then it will be time to roast a nice piece of beef.

Good news from Debs and best wishes to Mel and Gabe.

Regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

We have been penguin watching in the dark. Sly little so and SOS come ashore then hide in the rocks...but her indoors has excellent night vision and spotted 4 of them.

Tomorrow we will be passing through Herbert..the place not one of our two, the youngest of which is winging his way towards us as I type.

Have a great day..cooler forecast for tomorrow of 22C and showers....bumocks!

Baz

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

I nearly posted a few hours ago but would only have been able to say it was dark and chilly. Nice and sunny now!

We won't be venturing too far today. Aditi was intending to see her mother today but MiL informed her thst she is going to play bridge with some friends.

Have a good day.

Tony

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Sun also shining here so the G word has been mentioned however I don't think it specifically included me as my name (i.e. you) was firmly linked to the cleaning of vacuum.  But first we will be off to Tesco I understand - a good idea as we're out of bananas and presumably various other things we acquire there are also running short.

Have a good day one and all.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Bright and sunny here this morning with just the odd cloud but the forecast is for north easterly winds so its going to be cold. Nice to hear some better news about Debs and I hope that the next news is even better.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a grey and damp Hill.

The camellia is out which is a more hopeful sign of an approaching Spring than an American rodent relying on his shadow. Breakfast has been enjoyed and I now have the kitchen to clean. SWMBO is contemplating going in to work to catch up some lost time.

Best wishes to Chrisf at this time. Have a good Sunday one and all.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

I did not expect the result at the Principality Stadium yesterday afternoon.

The Obergrumpenfuhrer is listening to 'Sunday Love Songs' on R2.

I am going out....I may be a little time!

(That is after I have finished contemplating Jennie Agutter reclining seductively on Chrisf's radio.)

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 17

• RMweb Gold

The only shopping we will need will be bananas. Aditi has a truck load of food arriving soon but bananas are not available today it would seem. Sainsbury Local near the park will have some.

It isn't sunny now so I don't know if gardening will happen either. Aditi is an all weather gardener but even she is put off by the really soggy lawn and flower beds at the moment. Anything that can be potted has been!

Tony

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

By a strange coincidence we were talking about Oates last night and my mate Russ told me about this:

http://gilbertwhiteshouse.org.uk/the-oates-collection/

Not a million miles from where you were yesterday, as it happens. 

Worth combining with the zig-zag walk.

Edited by AndyB

• RMweb Premium

So, in anticipation of spending most of the week away on business I've experimented with signing in using my smart phone. 

It doesn't seem to support adding "likes" to any post, so consider yourselves duly rated for most of the week! 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Thank you Andy.

My iPhone is reluctant to rate reliably. First I need to scroll down to the bottom and click “Full Version” which is the web, rather than the mobile, page and which shows the ratings and icons for each post.

I then need to embiggen the post as the icons are too small to work as they are. With that done I can select my rating and the button momentarily darkens in acknowledgement. But far from all ratings are actually added to the post.

Sometimes I get a message “You have already rated this content”. Sometimes I actually see the rating being added. But mostly I don’t have the extra time to go back and check. It cuts both ways. My personal rating count only goes up. But the little red box at the top of the screen alerting me to new ratings - well that total mysteriously goes down (by quite a few, not just a single changed or deleted rating) as well as up.

It doesn’t trouble me. I’m not here to collect ratings. I am here - specifically in ERs - to be a part of the family.

On that note it’s time to organise some solids to accompany a glass of Côtes du Rhone. I suspect that may involve a selection of cheeses and crackers.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Morning.  Oh.

Had a better kip last night, and removing some of the dressings has made the foot a lot less painful, they were too tight and were digging in to the incisions.

I was just speculating after some posts on Faceache, that three of us used to hang around together as teenagers, all railway enthusiasts.  Last year, one had an issue similar to that which Debs has, one had a heart attack and I had my foot smashed in an accident.  Perhaps we timed out last year, but as we all survived and are mostly well, 2018 will be a year of celebration for us all I think.  Maybe we aren't safe to be around at the moment. Take care my friends!