The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Yep, it's hump day, and, Oh Boy, do I have the hump!!!

Moaned at by boss for not answering the phone coz I was trying to sort an order out amongst other duties; couldn't decide to whom I should award the title of 'Numpty of the Day' (several nominees!), short staffed in the office so haven't had time to deal with an absent colleague's emails and tolerating the idiosyncrasies and pitfalls of our computer system (which is currently being updated!).

Hey Ho! Stiff high ABV drink then bed and do it all again tomorrow.

• RMweb Gold

.....................and pitfalls of our computer system (which is currently being updated!).

Not by Crapita, I hope.

Edited by BoD

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Was club night tonight and some members were trying to revive the Thomas the Tank layout that we used to have at our show until a couple of years ago. It consists of two ovals of track each with its own controller. The track, which was second hand Peco Streamline required replacing at the same time it was decided to ease the radius of the inner oval. The idea was to replace the track with Setrack which would be more durable but then a problem arose. An oval of first radius Setrack was assembled and placed on the layout to test the fit only for it to be more or less the same size as the outer oval. The layout board isn't wide enough to take a larger oval so its back to the drawing board.

The track, which was second hand Peco Streamline required replacing at the same time it was decided to ease the radius of the inner oval.

An oval of first radius Setrack was assembled and placed on the layout to test the fit only for it to be more or less the same size as the outer oval.

Someone bent Streamline into a radius less than 371mm? Possibly as small as 304mm, say 1' give or take??

Talk about tram tracks.

As I turned the page on my calendar looking forward to Februarius I note that Ash Wednesday coincidentally falls on that most odious of the Hallmark Holidays where something less than half the adult population is coerced to commemorate an obscure Roman martyr (whose hagiography is particularly questionable) with chocolates, impossible dinner reservations, absurdly overpriced flowers or other acts of devotion, and their better halves are encouraged to suitably reward such attention - with the customary, attendant strife one must expect when failing to meet the expectations of either or both parties.

That particular intersection of the sacred and profane must present a conundrum for some. (Personally I find that not being pair bonded is a particular relief at this time of year and blithely ignore the flood of commercials by jewelers, chocolatiers, florists and stationers.)

Perhaps the ides of Februarius, (and their eponymous purging festival of Februa) are not so anachronistic after all.

This month also sees the President's Day Federal holiday which we celebrate with mattress sales. (And no, I'm not kidding, this is literally true. I don't know why either. Perhaps people need new mattresses after St. Valentine's Day?)

Abraham Lincoln's birthday is February 12 and George Washington's birthday is either February 11, 1731 (Julian) or February 22, 1732 (Gregorian) depending on your calendrical preference. President's day splits the difference and this year is the 19th. All of which is quite moot, since my employer does not observe the holiday and it is a working Monday just like any other.

Ah well. I did see the full moon last night. That was nice. May we all see another.

• Like 7

Morning All,

It is a reasonably mild morning - but somewhat blustery, which I guess is to be expected given the time of year.

I have a day of test preparation to look forward to, so I guess I had better get on!

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Moring Awl, Inner Temple Here,

A good nights sleep of 6 hours, then about half about on the sofa.

Yesterday the Seaweed botherers were getting excited and giving out a yellow warning for Ice. This morning, nothing no ice dry roads and no frost on the car. Although when going home via a big Orange shed it did start snowing lightly while loading up.

The big boss from America should have flown in yesterday, to meet our new Local boss who starts tomorrow, lets hope the new boss doesn't get brainwashed into the Company line too soon... I suspect the Big boss from America is going to try to pour oil on some very troubled waters around here before the new boss starts. The problem being, he's the one that has caused a lot of the waves...

For the first time this year, I saw just a hint of Dawn arriving as I got out of the car. nice to see somemore daylight.

Time to.. go and see if I can finish this weeks major equipment...

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a bright but freezing village.  Thanks to Chrisf's  mention of bins I've just nipped out to get the green bin out before the collection lorry arrives. The drive was fine but the pavement and the puddles in the pub car park next door are ice covered.

Beth is still asleep.   She's doing well and is actually behaving herself.   This morning we're off to see the nurse for the wound to be checked.

Apart from that there's not a lot to report but hopefully I will actually get some switches relocated on my control panel.   

Hope to hear better news re Debs.

regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 18

Good Morning One and All,

The news about Debs, such little as it is, is indeed concerning. Let us hope that all will go well and she will continue to recover (which, as can be the case, may be "two steps forward, one step back" at times).

Earlier I wrote:.....

..the drill table was not level. So taking a huge Allen Wrench (not supplied) I tried to loosen the tightening screw. Despite me putting my entire weight onto the Allen Wrench NOTHING budged! Finally, after after using my entire body mass leaning on the drill table I manged to get the damn thing level. Given that I don't plan on doing any odd angle drilling, the locked in drill table is not a problem. But I would would dearly love to learn how I can loosen up the screw.....

iD

I had hoped that someone on ERs would have trawled the depths of their immense knowledge about machinery/engineering/tools (take your pick) and advised me on how to loosen a bolt that seems to have been welded-on (although that isn't specifically the problem). Have I baffled the ER Boffins?

I am watching the unfolding crapita/carriwrong/outsourcing debacle with some amazement. Now, one poster opined that that's what you get when you operate for profit, which indeed may have had an effect; BUT I have worked in the public sector (NHS and pre-privatisation BT) and the incompetence there is equally prominent. I think that the real problem is that Britain will put up with levels of mediocrity and incompetence that would have the citizens of other countries rioting in the streets (OK, I may exaggerate a bit...). Even those Southern countries, whose reputation for probity and work ethic may not be the highest, when they finally get around to do it (whatever "it" may be), do it well and to a good standard.

Now - to go out on a limb here - I think a lot of the problem has been due an educational system that over the years has more and more shied away from having "winners" and "losers" - so no one quite grasps that "doing something badly" is not really on. That, plus the irresponsible rise of the "ambulance chasing lawyer". The latter, I strongly contend, has two outcomes: firstly: it's never "someone's fault", it is always the fault of some other individual; and secondly, to avoid "being at fault" nothing is done or done optimally.

In contemplating the outsourcing debacle, there are a number of British phrases that spring, unsummoned, into my mind - such as "educated beyond their station in life" "too clever by half" and "don't make a fuss" all of which reflect - I would argue - attitudes that are contributory to the current UK malaise. Certainly, many of my British friends are sometimes rather aghast when I complain about things they would have put up with (such as when I complained to the waiter that the vegetables that came with my pie were stone cold. Dear Ms N was horrified that I made such a scene!) and I am ALWAYS very polite and courteous when voicing my complaints (let's face it, I could go "full Italian/Mediterranean" over such things...).

Although the Swiss do grumble about how standards are falling and how various public bodies (SBB, PT etc) are managed, by any yardstick Switzerland is doing well. Part of this is due - I would say - to the fact that if the Swiss get seriously cheesed off about something, they can collect the appropriate number of signatures and force a referendum on "X" (whatever "X" may be) - which keeps the politicos on their toes and relatively honest.....

iD

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 15

Well I have tried to rate ID's post twice (with "agree") but with no success.

The British car industry used to be notorious for the "that'll do" attitude with the result that the cars fell to bits far more readily than imported rivals. I think that has been sorted to a large extent. However getting away with relative lack of competence or professionalism is probably far easier in a much larger organization - eg NHS, government run bodies, large outsourcing companies, the BBC. Andyram's reports of school life are echoed by Mrs Lurker's experiences as a TA; she seethes at the lack of professionalism, the backbiting, lack of team work and low ability - the TA who did'nt know how to add simple fractions she was trying to assist the year 5 children with (and I do mean the likes of 1/2+1/3). It all seems a far cry from her experiences in the past (although her experiences at the Legal Aid Board as was make for amusing listening on occasion...)

• Like 18

....Although the Swiss do grumble about how standards are falling and how various public bodies (SBB, PT etc) are managed, by any yardstick Switzerland is doing well. Part of this is due - I would say - to the fact that if the Swiss get seriously cheesed off about something, they can collect the appropriate number of signatures and force a referendum on "X" (whatever "X" may be) - which keeps the politicos on their toes and relatively honest.....

iD

A friend of mine who lives and works in Zürich (having married for the second time) said that he realised how refreshing Switzerland was compared to Britain when the driver of his SBB service apologised for arriving 30 seconds late....

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. The bin lorry dawn chorus has been and gone including the fortnightly bottle and glass wagon that didn't sound as busy as usual. A re-check of the rail trip brochure revealed another trip starting locally and with more time at the ultimate destination so I'll be putting it to the lads at the club, and its on a Saturday as well. Debs seems to be on a bit of a roller coaster but fingers, toes and anything else I can think of is crossed on her behalf. Bye for now, be back later.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Morning all. Pinch-punch. White Rabbits.

An icy chill to the breeze made for an un-warm shift at the House of Fun - my first one working unsupervised. Some very positive feedback has been received from my assessor after yesterday’s session which has been noted on file.

SWMBO remains unwell and in bed but I am off to the sunny Costa Geriatrica to attend to mother. I’ll be back for dinner. Please don’t smoke me a kipper as I consider them disgusterous stinkfish. Haddock ‘n’ chips, on the other hand, would be a perfect accompaniment to the glass of Muscadet I have planned for later.

Stay safe. Stay warm. I’ll be back.

• Like 3