The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Greetings all, thoughts with Debs and Simon.

Pleased to see a mention of the Wallace and Gromit films. We are big fans of them in the Lurker household and have all of them on DVD. The Cracking Contraptions disc that came with Curse of the Were Rabbit was a particular hit with Elder Lurker when he was about 3 and still at nursery. His favourite was the Autochef, and he used to repeat the lines to the nursery nurses. It started with "Sunny Side Up", progressed through "More Tea Vicar?" and ended up with "Knickers" and an explosion as the robot goes more and more wrong. The staff were young girls and had no idea what he was on about!

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Hey up!

Getting used to being warm...it's luvverly.

A trip along the pier today, some shopping then a nice ice creams eaten.....

Best wishes to Debs and Simon.

Now time for sleep!

Baz

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

PS Why do totally brain dead idiots post comments on things they very obviously don't understand and know nothing about when people are asking genuine and intelligent questions on web forums?  Puzzled of Thamesis

Are they the same ilk as those that ask a serious question, get the offer of help and then just don't even give you the courtesy of a reply?

They do however, encourage me not to bother and go away and do something else more constructive and of use to myself.

• RMweb Gold

Are they the same ilk as those that ask a serious question, get the offer of help and then just don't even give you the courtesy of a reply?

They do however, encourage me not to bother and go away and do something else more constructive and of use to myself.

Even a quick click on 'thanks' is often all it takes.

• RMweb Premium

A lot of them suffer from my pet hate.   They ask a question, you spend time trying to give a helpful and constructive reply then they just wander on to someone else and ask the same question. They then seem perplexed when they eventually return to me and I tell them that I'm no longer interested or words to that effect.

Jamie

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

I am sorry that I am NOT going to get caught up, as there is just too much going on outside of the world of RMWeb.  I have made the mistake of venturing onto some other threads outside of Wheeltappers, and am amazed by how much of a rabble is being fermented in some threads.  When I joined (I was in the first 400 members, I believe) there was no real nastiness at all, and there was a lot of mutual respect.  However, this is all gone now, regrettably.

Now then, chez 45156, I can only offer generic greetings, and best wishes to Simon and Debs, who seem to be the folks most in need of my cyber-vibes.

We have now had a lot of rain, and since the remedial work to the pavement, the water rising through (and making) cracks, and at the side of our front path, has now been diverted into the street drain - it seems to run all the time, so there must be an awful lot of water underground to drain away.

Creative writing class today was good, until Miss gave us our homework, to compose a Myth, with a modern approach, in 500 - 700 words.

Probably not back tomorrow, as fodder run and taxi run.

Regards to All

Stewart

Edited by 45156
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A'noon each.

A very nice lunch has been enjoyed as The Boss decided to make a sausage plait which she hasn't done for quite some time. She has been "instructed" to do it more often!  :whistle:  :yes:

In other news and thinking of Mike's experiences with his new driving licence our brush with officialdom in the form of HMPO has been very positive. The Boss applied for her new passport on Monday via the Post Office check and send service. Text received on Tuesday to say it should be delivered by 14th Feb. Further text received yesterday stating it should be delivered in the next few days.

New passport arrived here at noon today!

My gob is well & truly smacked.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Stewart, if you want some inspiration for modern myths just look at the comment pages on any newspaper website. Some people's beliefs are the stuff of myth.

As for other sections of this website, there is a lot of help and support. Things that irritate me include people who give an answer that isn't relevant to the question asked just so they can demonstrate knowledge. This is common on electrical or electronic threads. Another thing that annoys me are people who because they are brilliant, talented modellers think that it gives them a right to spread their questionable views on "social issues". Then there are those who just are contrarians generally or those who seem to be determined to disagree with a specific person.

And yet, most people continue to be kind and helpful.

Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

A'noon each.

A very nice lunch has been enjoyed as The Boss decided to make a sausage plait which she hasn't done for quite some time. She has been "instructed" to do it more often! :whistle: :yes:

In other news and thinking of Mike's experiences with his new driving licence our brush with officialdom in the form of HMPO has been very positive. The Boss applied for her new passport on Monday via the Post Office check and send service. Text received on Tuesday to say it should be delivered by 14th Feb. Further text received yesterday stating it should be delivered in the next few days.

New passport arrived here at noon today!

My gob is well & truly smacked.

We used the online service and it was a week to the day from filling out the form and posting off the photos and old passports. We too were impressed. Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

At least as far as I know I hasn't ended up in court.

I inhabit several fora to do with sailing / Norfolk Broads.

Someone went on to one forum asked questions (IIRC about VHF marine radio) didn't like the answers he got (what he proposed was illegal), made some stroppy remarks and got thrown off of that moderated forum. ( and one of the Moderator resigned after threats were made)

So he went to another forum which claims freedom of speech, didn't like the answers he got, made death threats ( quote "You just signed your own death warrant, sir. Your boat is going to be tracked to a point where you’ll be killed, bagged, and thrown into the river") to the sites owner. and by name changing, kept reappearing making more threats and saying he'd never be traced.

Well since he had identified what type of boat he had and roughly where he was moored in an early post. plus there were some extremely tech savy forum members who got upset. He soon found the boys in blue  knocking on his door, he's now been found guilty on court, he got 80 hour community service and an £85 charge, the Bloke was 44 years old!!

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Stewart, if you want some modern myths you could do worse than the DaFT when it comes to class 800's   according to Uncle Roger in the latest Modern railways they are claiming that a 2 x 5 car 800 at 494 tons is lighter than a 2 + 8 HST at 408 tons.

Jamie

• Like 2

Apparently I have lovely veins (for a man of my age).

I get the same response(s) from pretty much anyone in the medical profession to any and all check-ups etc., etc.

I now feel like saying - LOOK I'm OLD and feel in pretty good shape/seem to be working pretty well, so we don't need to EMPHASIZE the age bit!! :O  :jester:

BIN day, bin out and put the BINs out ;)

Eye test yesterday, continuation of the one a couple of weeks back - thanks to US "INSURANCE" sh!t part of the test that is expensive, BUT covered by insurance, had to be done later as the last time it was done wasn't quiet a year ago and insurance only covers this particular test once every 12 months! DUH!!!

Eyes are fine, see above, FOR A MAN OF MY AGE :butcher:  :rtfm:  :blind:

Had an interesting early evening at the city planning presentation on proposal for a new project in an area they've only been mulling over for 25 YEARS!!! Looks good, we'll see if it gets done <sigh> <yawn>

Then off to dinner with our travelling companions, was her birthday so our treat, very enjoyable. Starting to plan a spring quick trip, possibly to New Orleans...

OK - better get back to working...

-4 and overcast expecting +1 for the high, no precip predicted.

Have a good BIN day.

• Like 17

A lot of them suffer from my pet hate.   They ask a question, you spend time trying to give a helpful and constructive reply then they just wander on to someone else and ask the same question. They then seem perplexed when they eventually return to me and I tell them that I'm no longer interested or words to that effect.

Jamie

Know the feeling.  Typed about a page on Maunsell / Lynes corridor coaches and didn't get the courtesy of a "thanks".

Bill

• RMweb Gold

Stewart, if you want some inspiration for modern myths just look at the comment pages on any newspaper website. Some people's beliefs are the stuff of myth.

As for other sections of this website, there is a lot of help and support. Things that irritate me include people who give an answer that isn't relevant to the question asked just so they can demonstrate knowledge. This is common on electrical or electronic threads. Another thing that annoys me are people who because they are brilliant, talented modellers think that it gives them a right to spread their questionable views on "social issues". Then there are those who just are contrarians generally or those who seem to be determined to disagree with a specific person.

And yet, most people continue to be kind and helpful.

Tony

Napoleon's horse was called Marengo. Speaking of which, I couldn't give a monkey if they want to lend us the Bayeux Tapestry, I don't want it. Let's send them Waterloo Station - see how they like it.   And as for the rest of your post, what a load of tosh.  Couldn't disagree more. 

Just about caught up - thoughts go to Debs and Simon  ;)

Quick DIY update....just about reached the tipping point where the amount of tea being drunk outweighs the amount of emulsion going on the walls. Am I doing this right..?

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 3