The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Still snowing here - heavier now.

Today I'm going to do more to my lectures on Global Warming, which is not irony, as the snow is the normal weather pattern for January. However what causes it nd the rapid thaw is evidence of climatic instability, which I will be pointing out. 

But if icebergs breaking from the polar caps is a new phenomenon caused by so-called global warming, the Titanic would still be afloat!

BTW is not Carbon Dioxide heavier than air!

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

We may get a wintry shower but not proper snow. I think even in the last ice age the ice ended at about where the A13 is now.

That would be about right. The terminal moraine formed by the southern limit of glaciation was, in more recent times, heaped up to form “Beckton Alps” while the washout plain, littered in useless lumps of nondescript material, was repurposed as Ford’s. Polar bears began at the Abbey Arms though retreated north of Stratford when the Northern Outfall Sewer was built. The local dialect still includes the word “innit” which is believed to be a corruption of the indigenous term “Inuit”

Morning all. Great to hear positive things from Debs. Dampness persists here. Muggertea required.

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

My granddaughter Eira has described the snow in Reading as tissue rain.

Since eira is Welsh for snow, the cry has been:

No it's eira, Eira!

The Stationmaster is correct in his suggestion that the mud outside the Scout hut was irresistable.

Even more so if you crossed the bridge onto the Pontcanna playing fields themselves.  The rugby pitches were in divine shape for a long soak!

However it was good to meet all my old Cardiff based cronies again (as well as those regular contributors to this thread), although this year Danemouth Dave was without his rather magnificent set of books.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Morning all,

'twas sleeting earlier but the ground was too warm for it to settle.

A brief foray into the garage shows that the glue on my new baseboard solidified overnight, although I'm not sure whether it dried or just froze. Come Spring I'll know the answer! 

Good to hear news of Debs. Thanks, John for the update. 

Off for a swim later and some admin tasks to round off the day. 

For now, been tasked with preparing Sunday lunch. 

Have a nice day everyone. 

• Like 16

But if icebergs breaking from the polar caps is a new phenomenon caused by so-called global warming, the Titanic would still be afloat!

BTW is not Carbon Dioxide heavier than air!

Different rates. Overall global warming has been taking place since the depth of the last major Ice age c. 18,000 years ago, and the earth has been able to adjust. But the RATE of global warming caused by fossil fuel burning had vastly increased since about 1950, and it is this, for which the earth is not able to adjust, that is causing the major problems. 

And carbon dioxide, on its own is more dense than air, but diffusion, turbulence, winds, and general atmospheric mixing overcomes this tendency. If you mix gases they remain mixed.

Edited by Coombe Barton

• RMweb Premium

Definitely snowing. Quite large flakes too. But too wet to settle. The heating has been turned to “all day” mode; normally we are happy with the residual warmth during its 10am - 4pm time out.

• RMweb Gold

The wintry showers turned to snow while I was in the park with Robbie.

From the state of him this morning I thought perhaps an amble round the garden would do but after some of Aldi's haddock mixed with basmati rice he seemed quite restored and indicated he wanted to go out.

The rugby club were active in the park too. They clearly are not put off by a bit of snow, sleet or rain. I don't like rugby due to my school experiences but I am impressed by the enthusiasm shown. Also they pick up any litter and leave the park tidy unlike other sports that use the park.

Snow still not settling!

Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 14

• RMweb Gold

That would be about right. The terminal moraine formed by the southern limit of glaciation was, in more recent times, heaped up to form “Beckton Alps” while the washout plain, littered in useless lumps of nondescript material, was repurposed as Ford’s. Polar bears began at the Abbey Arms though retreated north of Stratford when the Northern Outfall Sewer was built. The local dialect still includes the word “innit” which is believed to be a corruption of the indigenous term “Inuit”

Morning all. Great to hear positive things from Debs. Dampness persists here. Muggertea required.

Many many years ago in my first teaching job in South Essex I happened to mention the the A13 Ice Age connection. The school got a phone call from a parent complaining that I had caused a family upset as their Gary had come home and wanted them to move from their A13 home as the ice was coming. They didn't like "ideas being put in his head". I was too nice to comment about the unlikely event of that happening. Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Snow? Year what! It's flipping hot here and apparently we may in a car driving later this week with a temperature of 49C...

Good game but there are some bad losers here..

Baz

• Like 3

Now, working on a recommended mileage rate of 50p per mile , 320 miles = £160.00 in terms of fuel and wear-and-tear on the car, let alone the stress caused to the driver and the possibility of another deer!

£50.00 return?

Oh joy, a subject that an (ex) investment analyst can get his teeth into.  Cost of fuel is 15p mile¯¹, so that is the minimum rate; to which one should add "consumables" and the CMRA adopts a rate of 25p mile¯¹.   That is the rate that I would work to, giving a cost of £80.  Using permissible routes (Waterloo - Salisbury - Cardiff), a return ticket would cost me £40.   So, Chris, next time Bedford - St Pancras - Oxford Circus - Waterloo - Salisbury - Cardiff General.

Incidentally, is the HMRC limit still 45p mile¯¹?  So John's rate would put us in P11D territory!

The weather in South East London can best be described as wet sleet.  Perfectly horrible.  I'm doing a "must do" job for my new layout, painting RTR track for my new layout.  I have 16 yards to do, which means 64 yards of "rusty rails" paint.  A horrible job for a horrible day.

Bill

• Like 3

Thanks, Bill.  How long would your suggested journey take?  My car journey took three and a half hours excluding pit stops.

Chris

Oh, hours and hours!  But I was taught that it is the taking part that counts.

Bill

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon Awl,

There was a red sky this morning so I've had the warning.. but it has yet to come.

This morning it was very frosty, i put the landrover sideways in the frost on our lane at 10 mph.... Getting the ropes undone on the rescue boats was difficult as they were frozen solid. We had no wind, and the race as postponed, so there was further coffee before there was just the slightest breeze when they did start. Just a total of 4 boats dinghies and yeoman's went out.

Those that went were beginners or young, the rest of us who've spent many hours out there, decided getting frozen in a slow drift was no fun..

I watched the first yeoman race start, the beginners were just 20 ft from the start line but it took 3 minutes for them to get there!!!

It's getting chillier out there and we've had no precipitation, so I'm heading off for a long hot soak in the bath...

As for driving, my car is paid for, it done almost 100,000 miles and owes me nothing, the insurance is paid for and is required to get to work. So I only cost the fuel and my time. And from Norfolk it's a long way to anywhere...

Edited by TheQ

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

AWOL again, apologies again.  NOt managed to keep up much here again due to work runs, Dr appointments, etc...and the inevitable tasks domestic.

Hope all are well, or if unwell getting better.  Good to hear that our Debship is getting better.

Chicken casserole awaits with a nice glass of New Zealand Sauvignon.

Back tomorrow?

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 13

<groan> <kof> <yawn>

Yesterday evening was a great time, Korean food and a board game, everyone enjoying themselves. Got some modeling done before they all arrived.

Unfortunately woke up at 6AM koffing with a dry throat and aching all over with some lower abdomen "excitement" taking place :(

That went on for a couple of hours as I attempted to get more sleep. Barely made it 45 minutes at a time without a trip to the khazi!!!

Some yogurt and toast for breakfast, Mrs headed off to church alone, and I'm wallowing in self-pity mustering up the energy to do basically nothing :O

Thought I'd report in as I still have the energy to type - JUST!

Jemma off on another trip later, supposed to take her to the airport but suspect I'll be cancelled in favour of a healthier Mrs.

Just HAD to happen I guess, as I had pretty much a clear day to do whatever I wanted to. Being poorly on the couch wasn't on the list!

Calm before the storm here, literally, +3 cloudy and still for now.

Winter storm expected to arrive overn9ight last all day tomorrow, estimates 4-12 inches of snow depending how the storm tracks, at present inconclusive...

Have a good remainder of the day, I'm gonna crawl off and partake of more misery, maybe with a cuppa and the crossword, that'll help me sleep :jester:

• RMweb Gold

Evenin' all,

To Guildford I went and met with (as usual) Bob 81C. Weather on way rain turning to sleet and then wet snow which didn't settle.

Saw and nodded to  Ian Roundhouse in passing but he was engrossed talking to somebody else. Only stayed for a couple of hours because TBH I thought the show disappointing. There were a couple of nice layouts but I didn't get really excited about anything. Perhaps I was in the wrong mood today.

Returned home and got brownie points because I was there before our visitors and a very pleasant few hours eating and drinking followed. They have now departed (school night) so I'm now winding down with another drink...and maybe another one or two after that.

Quick question if I may to those of you who have visited Norway. I'm thinking of booking a shore trip on the Rauma railway in April and wondered whether anyone has done that and if it's worthwhile?

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Evening all.

I think the new PC is up to speed and I have managed to reinstall all of the software and files that I need. I have tweaked settings, network etc so that it is working in very much the same way that the old one did except that it is of course now Windows 10. I'm getting used to that, I'm sure everything is there, just in different places and sometimes in different formats to the older versions. Just waiting to check that the scheduled backup runs tonight and that's about it.

And in other news..... It snowed today.

Sadly though only after I had been out for my walk. I enjoy walking in snow.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Same as everywhere else we had the snowy rain today but now the heatings on and the curtains are drawn and I'm nice and cosy. Spent all of the modelling tokens I took with me this morning, mainly on a brewery. Pity its not a real but in 00 scale and mostly of resin. Haven't been on Facebook today but will be looking in shortly to hear any news from Debs.

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for that link Vincent. Also been looking at various other reviews etc online and have now booked it as availability was becoming limited and didn't want to miss out as I regretted not doing the trip from Flam 2 years ago.

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

We haven't been on that railway but we went on a coach trip from Geiringer which headed inland towards the same area the train runs. If that train excursion were available on any future cruise we did to Norway I would certainly go.

We did the Flåm trip when we went. Torrential rain but that just made the waterfalls more impressive.

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Evening everyone

Well, it’s been another damp, dark and dreary day her in the north west, like yesterday I haven’t been outside, or even unlocked the door. After a bit of a lie in and breakfast in bed, I once again went down to the cellar, but today, instead of tidying up, I started working on a 1/4 scale mock up of a revised portable layout. The track work has been drawn up and a couple of 1/4 scale buildings have been constructed to get a sense of how things will look. So far it’s all looking good, but I’ll get a better idea when I’ve made mock ups of the rest of the buildings for it.

This evening was, once again spent on the sofa, with Sheila and a bottle of red, catching up on some recorded TV.

Goodnight all.

• Like 16