The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from a dark village after a grey drive up from Portsmouth this morning. A good day has been had and I even managed a couple of hours at the Beth is not a happy bunny as her operation due on Tuesday was cancelled whilst she was having the pre op assessment. With a 6 week recovery period and only 5 weeks to our daughter's wedding she is not a happy bunny. I did try and sooth the pain with a litre bottle of Hendricks gin and some new perfume that I bought her on the boat. Apart from that the village is still north of Ikea so not much has changed. However the 6 days away were good with much accomplished some brilliant conversation and yes a certain layout was put up.

Good night to all

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

Best wishes to those that need them.

Back wrangler visited before work yesterday. No improvement in the sciatica after 3 months and I had a bad couple of days last week, although I see a short term improvement for a half day or so after each visit. I struggle to remain seated comfortably for any more than about 20 minutes depending upon the chair. Walking/standing/lying is OK. I haven't sat on the sofa for any more than 10 minutes at a time in the past 4 weeks.

We discussed the next possible plans and a change to the pain relief was mentioned along with a scan. Currently on 8/500 cocodamol as required and one amitriptyline at night.

A GP visit had already been booked for my day off today.

In the not too distant future, I'll have to remain seated for the best part of 8 hours in a A330, followed by nearly 3 hours on a A321. Doc was duly consulted and he's quite sympathetic to my case and upped me to 3 x Gabapentin, but  kept with the 8/500 for now, with a review before I go flying. He will also be requesting a MRI for my lower back, but that is unlikely to happen in the next few weeks.

I haven't played golf since mid-October or biked since the first week of November and I'm getting a bit peed off with not getting out. It is however, encouraging me to do some work on the layout that involves standing up doing the scenic stuff.

And now for the good news.

Accounts duly deposited at the accountants for my final self-employed driving year. He will have some number crunching to do as my part paid for car was taken out of the business as it closed, but I did put some money into it when I started driving in 2003.

MiL is 80 on Monday, but the big party is tomorrow night and all presents/cards/cakes are sorted.

She's actually having three parties. Family and close friends tomorrow night, the work Sunday lunchers on errr..... Sunday lunch and her afternoon tea friends on Tuesday afternoon. 

MR club open day on Sunday followed by hockey watching - the seats at Blackburn Arena aren't too badly shaped for me and I can easily go for a walk in between the periods.

Work tomorrow - some sitting planned, but suitable breaks will be taken to play trains continue testing the office test track.

Have a good weekend folks - I'll try to.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Mick,

Robbie is on gabapentin. Really works well for him. 800mg daily for a 20kg dog is quite a high dose compared to human doses.

Thanks - So I'm on medicine fit for a dog.......

:jester:

Cheers,

Mick

p.s. I'm working up to 900mg for 73kg

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Evening everyone

A dull, grey but thankfully dry start to the day. My first task this morning was a trip to the bank to pay in a cheque which arrived around dinner time yesterday and drop in a repeat prescription request at the pharmacy for Sheila. Then it was off to Hobbycraft and Waitrose for a few supplies. Just as I was opening the door, the kettle had just boiled, nicely timed I thought.

After dinner I spent the afternoon browsing through a few railway books, before taking in a spot of eyelid inspection.

Later on James and Amelia, once again came round for tea and a pleasant couple of hours was spent catching up. Then it was time to open a bottle of red, a nice Malbec was tonight’s choice and rather nice it was too!

Goodnight all.

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Mike, make sure your root password is set for the High Sierra OS. I assume this gaffe is fixed but all Macs installed with High Sierra had no root (administrative) password set at all. This was a gaping abyss in system security and was widely reported in the news.  The root password is separate from any user settings and passwords you would apply.

(I'm not a Mac user, but am well familiar with the root password concept. It belongs in the Unix/Linux world from the beginning. If I understand correctly, the Mac OSs have been derived from Linux for some time now.)

Michael that one would appear to have been addressed in one of the security upgrades (there have been three in the past month including new version of Mac OS 10.13 (one of them is the one referred to in the article you linked in your subsequent post).

And of course Apple do issue regular updates for Macs plus inventing new names for operating systems where the logic they use to choose the next name passeth all understanding (but at least Sierra progressing to High Sierra almost makes sense).

G'night all

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Mick,

I couldn't use one of the 'supports' because I did not 'like' what you had to say because it is obviously  something that is not to be liked.  I couldn't agree because again why would you want all that hassle, thanks would not be appropriate and you are obviously not craftsmanship clever to be in you condition. It is definitely something that is not funny and the prose is such that friendly supportive is also inappropriate.  That being said I hope that the new treatment relieves the obvious pain and that by the time you are on the flights you will be much fitter and able to enjoy.

Hope that helps, cheers, Peter

• Like 10

I struggle to remain seated comfortably for any more than about 20 minutes depending upon the chair. Walking/standing/lying is OK. I haven't sat on the sofa for any more than 10 minutes at a time in the past 4 weeks.

I assume that professionally, you have a combination of workbench tasks and some computer-related tasks. I wonder if an adjustable (powered) sit/stand desk might help. They are not necessarily cheap (and that may be a limiting factor) but they are becoming less expensive and easier to find.

The adjustability lets you do things like computer tasks quite comfortably while standing and you still have the option to sit for a little while if you want. They are great.

• RMweb Premium

I assume that professionally, you have a combination of workbench tasks and some computer-related tasks. I wonder if an adjustable (powered) sit/stand desk might help. They are not necessarily cheap (and that may be a limiting factor) but they are becoming less expensive and easier to find.

The adjustability lets you do things like computer tasks quite comfortably while standing and you still have the option to sit for a little while if you want. They are great.

My desk for PC/admin use has a very adjustable chair and is quite comfortable for some time. The workbench chair is not as comfortable, but is OK for about 20 minutes. Most of the test track work is standing up.

Mrs and Junior bought me one of these for home

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wooden-Posture-Kneeling-Fabric-Charcoal/dp/B0039NHTHC

It's not too bad.to use whilst sitting at the kitchen table with my laptop.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

Thanks - So I'm on medicine fit for a dog.......

:jester:

Cheers,

Mick

p.s. I'm working up to 900mg for 73kg

Gabapentin isn't actually licenced for canine use so I had to sign a waiver for it to be used. The information leaflet is all aimed at humans. I did tell Robbie that it had been tested on humans first. He didn't seem bothered. They are big capsules that he should preferably swallow whole. Present disguise is to insert them in a bit of banana.

Just to be different one of my medications is used a lot to control canine OCD like tail chasing.

Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Started the day with almost all the snow disappeared. By noon we were getting frozen water coming down and by suppertime there was about 3". It's now 10 below outside and expected to go down more over the next week.

The opera group showing was well attended despite that. Pearl Fishers (Met from a couple of years ago). In the intermission interviews, one of the guys says that despite years of concert performances of the big eternal friendship duet, it was only doing the staged production that he realized the tenor is lying through his teeth.

• Like 16

Good morning one and all

I'm off to Whittlesey today for the Straw Bear festival.  This involves watching lots of fine dance sides with such as Earlsdon, Clausentum and Red Leicester on the roster this year.  On this day the local trainee drinkers are out in force, providing another source of amusement for the spectators.  With any luck the soup kitchen will be set up in the church at lunchtime.  I fancy tomato today.

With ominous silences from many parts of the fraternity let warm thoughts be spread among the ailing, recovering and missing.  The numbers of these are beginning to alarm.

Chris

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Ketamine is on my list of drugs, if you you have my condition and take ketamine, you die.

I had another arrrrgh to do with my change to alloy wheels, whoever built my spare wheel carrier, got it wrong. Due to the the depth of alloys the mounting bolts have to much more precisely fitted and these pair are about an 1/8 of an inch to close together. Further inspection of how it's built and what can be done will take place in daylight.

Shed alley way roof construction today followed by the works Christmas dinner...

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a still dark village and the curtains haven't yet been opened so I've no idea what the weather is. Breakfast will be consumed shortly. Not a lot on the agenda today but I am sure that various orders will be posted in due course. I'm going to a transport book fair at one point and will have the rest of the car to unpack at some point. Not a lot else to report but I am also worried about the lack of news from Debs.

Thoughts to all those others currently ailing.

Jamie

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Hey up

Too dark to what the weather is up to this morning.

Due to a couple of emails yesterday I have a couple of things to complete over the weekend to earn some crusts.

I have been told that I need to undertake some packing duties as well as we are going away for a trip out.

Enjoy your 24 hours on Planet Earth everyone. Lots of thoughts for all who fail and our "missing" Ers.

Baz

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

It was dark but dry when I went for the paper a couple of hours ago. Fortunately I live within a brisk walk of a newsagent that still opens at 6:30. I look forward to Saturday as it takes me most of the morning, a bacon sandwich and at least three cups of coffee to read all of the sections of the paper. There is also a healthy dose of quizzes, puzzles and a crossword to keep the brain ticking over.

It's just a pity that gone are the days when the local fish shop would swap a pile of old newspapers for a bag of chips.

Have a good a weekend as circumstances allow.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Still grey and dreary but a bit brighter than the last week. I need to find an exhibition or railway event on the 10th March within easy reach of Estuary-Land as its someone's tenth birthday, any suggestions welcome. Now off to spend some more modelling tokens after a couple of mugateas, be back later.

• Like 11