The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

In the "now I've heard everything" category :jester:

So, whilst looking around eBay for "anything" I came across THIS as the latest definition/explanation for the Bulleid air-smoothing;

Seller Notes: “Wonderful and Less Seen Locomotive! Comes in mint condition! No signs of use. No wear, No damages, No broken off or missing parts! The model looks stunning. The Battle Of Britain Class, WWII War Locomotive is less seen! These belong to the Battle Armoured Locomotives run within the UK during WWII. This one is from the Southern Railways in Bright Green. The box is also included with protective window insert sleeve. The box shows tape wear at one side, that's all, for that listed as used. Otherwise in mint condition!. Be keen on this less seen, big sized locomotive. Happy winning!

Link here - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hornby-OO-1-76-BATTLE-OF-BRITAIN-Class-SPITFIRE-WWII-WAR-STEAM-LOCOMOTIVE-MIB-80/401439722610?hash=item5d77ac0c72:g:jtcAAOSwVtZaBgca

for not ONLY the creative description, but the "eBay Madness" pricing of $199.99 (or OFFER) - even if I wanted it, I'd offer $30 at most ;)

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Bulleid's little known class of armoured "light" Pacifics.

OVS’s answer to the Light Horse. Light horsepower ;).

That reminds me of another listing I once saw. This one was for a “Railroad steaming engine with coal truck”. It was stressed that the item was faulty and incomplete “because no coal in truck make steaming no works”. Yes. A bargain at $599 US. For a Midland 0-6-0 :O

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Hen/Cockwomblery is alive and in full swing here today. A local road has been closed off for road works, the closed road is a favourite rat-run. Despite large signs informing people that the road is closed and offering alternative diversions the idiots still pass the signs seeking a way through. It takes them 20-30 minutes to forlornely return discovering that as the signs say no through road. One of the estate roads is a loop with one entrance/exit, someone managed to circle it twice looking for a way through.

Nice one. Leave it to ERs :jester:

I just KNEW I should have added much more clarification/definition to my statement... that's why ERs is so much THE PLACE to visit whenever you need a smile, especially after daring to look in on any other the more "contentious" threads :O

Are ERs the sharpest, wittiest folks on RMWeb, or what?!?!? :sungum:

Thats part of the attraction, other people making fools of themselves (and plenty of choice too).

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

When GDB is absent it takes two of us to cover for him :jester:

Erm, I am here old chap....at least I think I am so worry not, you are safe.  :yes:

Evening all,

GDB, would that cruise you're going on prevent you going to the Alton show

No Andy, I hope to be there.   I'm also probably going to the Guildford show on Sunday week. 

http://www.astolatmrc.co.uk/ourExhibition.html

Cruise is in April and I think that means I'll miss Epsom which is one of my favourites.

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Our road is "no through" but for the first 20 years we lived here it didn't have a road sign indicating it. We still don't have an official street name, just mock slate lettering in the rather nice brick wall at the beginning of the road. The original developer had delusions of grandeur and it was supposed to be some sort of private estate but the early 90s housing difficulties meant big price cuts and people like us moving in!

Most people know it is a dead end but a couple of years ago we heard lots of loud engine and tyre noises and police sirens. The two police cars waited patiently near the junction. The neighbours nearer the incident said the driver didn't resist arrest for very long. I don't think Essex police like people waving machetes at them.

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Erm, I am here old chap....at least I think I am so worry not, you are safe.  :yes:

No Andy, I hope to be there.   I'm also probably going to the Guildford show on Sunday week. 

Cruise is in April and I think that means I'll miss Epsom which is one of my favourites.

Ah, April. Iceberg season!  

A colleague mentioned to me that the parking at Guildford was atrocious last time and has elected not to go because of that.

Although I did have a nice pint at the show venue recently - in the sports bar. 

Guessing you'll favour the Saturday for the Alton show. Mike, 81C coming? 

• Like 13

Have you ever noticed that I have neither thread nor blog?

I wonder why..............?

I have never noticed. I have both threads and blogs, although I tend to use my layout threads much more. I have welcomed a lot of constructive criticism / other people's ideas over the years. Let's not forget that one of my blogs helped to make the Weston on Trent Model Railway Show get off the ground and become a success. I like to think I can filter out the moaning element that does appear across RMWeb. There are good and bad experiences on this site and I have been fortunate to have many good ones.

Anyway moving on - do not want to start any arguments. Greetings and good wishes to you all. I hope today finds you well and those with health issues will be on the mend. Health issues gave hit here. Amber was off school today with a high temperature and cold like symptoms.

Work for me was as busy as expected. I battled through the traffic to the course this morning. It was nice to see some old faces from the old place there. Then it was a mad dash across Derby, calling at home for a quick sandwich before arriving at school ten minutes before the start of afternoon lessons.

The afternoon saw me supervise a class on a "Forest Schools" activity. A bunch of 25 young children trekking into the woods for various outward bound activities. It was cold, but enjoyable and the children threw themselves into the task of collecting sticks to make various art constructions. The walk did include a crossing of a small brook, which had some muddy water at the bottom. I was a little concerned by the group leaders' lack of direction for safely crossing this. My concerns will be fed back to the head teacher in due course.

A couple of last minute work tasks kept me away from the model railway club tonight. Maybe I can escape tomorrow.

Best wishes to you all

Andy

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

there are mutterings about where all her craft stuff can go.

Jamie

I almost read that as cr&p stuff.......

Work was worked. Layouts were wired up and trains were run. I had a smug grin on my face as the first powered train circumnavigated the office test track. Only one minor short found on a full run through all the pointwork that was actually caused by others - honest!

There will be more testing tomorrow and then I'd better catch up on the other stuff.

Have a good HUMP day folks.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Evening everyone

Not an awful lot to report I've spent most of the day tidying up my book case in the cellar. I'm going to have to get rid of some magazines.

Not had time to catch up on all today's posts, hopefully I'll catch up tomorrow.

Baz . The problem I'm having with the paint is, I'm using it straight out of the tin and even without adding thinners, it's too thin!

Goodnight all

Edited by BSW01

• RMweb Premium

' Evening all from red dragon land.

First hard frost of the season here .  Minus 10C and car windows frosted up when we went out this morning.

Some progress made on the Archives railway project, shopping done and more remnants of C*******s food consumed.

Time now to say: ' Night all and nos da.

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Aditi went to bed early so I watched a film she probably wouldn't like. Though I am a good person as I watched The Little Mermaid with her the other day. However I suspect she wouldn't have liked "Logan" which is part of the X Men franchise.

Sleep well

Tony

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

I'm also probably going to the Guildford show on Sunday week. 

Hopefully see you there as we are taking Banbury, our first show of the year. Luckily our layout transport is back form the garage. We were having problems with the engine cutting out when accelerating at times. The local garage found that the fuel filter was gunged up so hopefully the issue is fixed. It was due a fuel filter change on its next service in a couple of months time. Amazing that we made Manchester and back last December without it cutting out on the motorways.

Good to see Jamies layout up in its new home.

Had a few hours sleep but too much on my minds tonight so up and working on transferring files form the portable drive ot the new network attached storage device that arrived yesterday evening. USA photos nearly completed copying across. Al ong way to go for all the rest of the photos etc. though.

• Like 16

Good morning one and all

Yesterday in the shed was not the most productive of days.  I was suffering from what must have been a very heavy cold.  I had my flu jab back in September so it cannot possibly have been that, can it?  Be that as it may, the afternoon was suddenly enlivened when the folding chair collapsed under Poorly Pal.  He was stuck fast  and a few minutes of pushing and pulling were to no avail.  It took the fire brigade, their hacksaw and some bolt cutters to extricate him.

Later today I am off to Cardiff, returning tomorrow afternoon.  This will entail a leisurely drive across the Cotswolds, a stack of CDs for the player and possibly a brief visit to Cheltenham Model Centre if I can find it as some m*d*ll*ng requisites are needed urgently.  It may also necessitate eating at Magor Services, glistening in the all-pervasive shadow of the beer factory which produces Stella Artois from the water pumped from the lining of the Severn Tunnel, simply because the restaurant at the hotel does not open early enough for me to eat AND get to my meeting on time.   Why do I put myself through all this?

The upshot is that I will not post here tomorrow.  Until we meet again, felicitations to the absentees, the recovering and the distressed.  Stop press:  I see we have a culture lover in our midst - Rick mentioned Runrig.

Chris    

• Like 4