The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.

The sky was cloud free this morning providing a clear view of Mars and Jupiter. Robbie didn't seem bothered.

He was only looking for Canis Major......

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.

A crisp one here in more senses than having crunchy white grass underfoot. French toast with crispy bacon and maple syrup was enjoyed with First Muggertea.

SWMBO has declared her room to be a study zone until dinner time with the proviso that I shall vacuum it and steam-mop the bathroom floor within the immediate future. I am otherwise expecting a quiet day though a Leggerlamb will need to be sacrificed later.

Lots of nocturnal noise again. Not of the un-neighbourly sort but from a procession of engineer’s trains making their way onto the Shepperton branch which is closed for various works to take place today. Classes 66 and 70 were identified by exhaust note and I believeva 37 came up from Woking yard with a train of yellow carriages in tow.

Continued best wishes to Debs and Neil I hope those points unfreeze without harm. Have a good day one and all

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Mrs Stationmaster in the midst of using the 'puter and the screen went black (but the mouse pointer still worked) - major disaster probably so various alternatives sought via her kindle and something found but the tech info didn't seem quite right.  I wandered back into the study and pressed the return key a few times and the 'puter returned to life so able to properly check the tech details - now awaiting John Lewis to hopefully confirm what it says on their website, plastic immediately to hand and fingers crossed.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon awl, inner temple here.

A poor nights sleep was had, mostly due to yesterday's shed work.

Canis Collie is fast asleep at my feet having come back from his long walk with SWMBO after I returned from sailing,,,, talking about Sailing....

Easterly wind stronger than forecast, causing the occasional white top on the river.

We had an additional buoy today number 5 by Dydlers mill.

The dinghies had a special 2 day event so there were around thirty in number in three fleets allcommers, toppers and optimists. They started in 5 minute intervals after us in that order.

Their course 2P, 3P.

Our course 2P, 5P.

Due to the wind direction we started 400 yards up river, heading back to the club.

Race 1, in the pre start manoeuvring the only problem we had was a topper who strayed into out start area. We made the line first and got clear away after several tacks reaching buoy 2.

On turning at the buoy we looked at the hoard of dinghies, and decided for safety not to put the spinnaker up until we passed through their start line.

Soon after the start line we went round the right hand bend, and the deployed the spinnaker. What we found was on the long run down to buoy 5 the others who didn't use a spinnaker caught up!!

Then a very long series of tacks back to buoy 2, during which we passed through the now racing dinghies with surprisingly little trouble. Those behind seemed to drop back a lot during this .

Rounding buoy 2 as the dinghies were well spread apart. Up spinnaker, only a little weaving required to get through them. Turning at the bend went well. We continued down to buoy 5 with a short stretch of "death Rolls" when we were hit by a huge gust.

Then after rounding buoy 5 it was the long tacks back to the club. The dinghies were mostly finished due to their shorter course, they finished us as well so we won easily. The others in our race were inexperienced and didn't really stand a chance. Why the more experienced sailors didn't turn up I don't know.

The others didn't want to do the second race due to the high winds. So that was the end of our day...

Note.. "death rolls" when the boat rocks from side to side uncontrollably down wind, in a dinghy this often means an early bath. In a keel boat it may lead to a loss of control and hitting things...

Well I'm off for a long soak in a hot bath...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The temperature here is about 5C but felt a lot colder when I took Robbie down to the park. The "feels like" temperature as stated on this tablet device is -3C but it still felt colder. However my coat can cope with cold, rain and wind and Robbie didn't seem bothered so we just got on with it. I decided to head back to the car first though. Sometimes recently Robbie has decided he has had enough and sets off back to the car. Once upon a time he was never tired!

Tony

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I suspect he is getting to be an elderly feller and possibly gets an arthritic twinge - a bit like me!

Robbie has arthritis most notably in his back legs and some spinal degeneration. The vet has prescribed him medication that seems to help but he is slowing down a lot. However he can run better than he can walk which is why it is nice to go down to the park where he doesn't need to be on a lead. His heart and lungs are good so the exercise isn't harming him. Robbie has the same medication as MiL, she injured her spine after falling off a step stool a few years ago. Aditi's GP brother prescribes it a lot for people with chronic sciatica.

• RMweb Premium

Mick visited..mugatea offered and accepted. Ta Mick!

Nice room at the hotel a bit of talking done and a couple of pints quaffed. The world has now been put to rights!

A tad on the chilly side in Settle..odd bits of black ice have been slid on.

Enjoy the rest of your day

Baz

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Mick visited..mugatea offered and accepted. Ta Mick!

Nice room at the hotel a bit of talking done and a couple of pints quaffed. The world has now been put to rights!

A tad on the chilly side in Settle..odd bits of black ice have been slid on.

Enjoy the rest of your day

Baz

And he spent some money on modelling stuff....

I now know Baz's worst nightmare.

Having to umpire a game whilst Mrs Baz is doing the scoring....

Glad you liked the tea.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

E‘ning all. Bronchitis seems to begin retreating, though I’m not feeling very fit yet regardless. However, having just noticed the message about Debs having been very poorly, may I forward a major load of thoughts to her!

Quite chilly outside today with frost warning in effect through the night, so I’m glad for having a cosy sofa inside.

Be well, everyone...

• RMweb Premium

Suffolk n' cider.

Molson Coors has bought out Adnams, there goes 300 years of a family run business...

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from the Charente Maritime. We arrived safely about 2pm and the house seems OK. The crossing was very rough so it's an early night for me tonight ready for the layout to arrive tomorrow lunchtime. The trailer is unpacked and out of the way ready for the Manitou (forklift) to get past with the layout pallets.

Rick, I probably saw your engineering trains heading out of Eastleigh last night when we stopped by the station to kill some time. There were 2 70's being tied onto trains ready to head north.

Apart from that regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 15

Compiling with orders, I have placed my layout (Meopham East Junction) on E-Bay for sale. Details are elsewhere. If I manage to sell it the money is all ready listed for the renovation of Kate our Morris Minor  and perhaps a couple of pounds for a very small layout to be transported in said vehicle. I shall believe the former when I see it.

• Like 3

Evening all,

I'm off crack of dawn to York, for three days on the Charles Roberts order books, then one day at home before setting up the CMRA exhibition in Stevenage.

Best wishes all, and maybe see some of you next weekend.

Bill

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Bloody hell, I wish I could be as calm as these guys in a crash! I can’t help but suppose all they may be thinking is some variation of „*sigh* Here we go again...“

https://youtu.be/_uLpgrcLOZM

Most of my tram-driver former colleagues who had such incidents were perfectly calm and philosophical about it. There was no occasion when the tram driver was found blameworthy to any extent. And as the Lonely Planet guidebook to Melbourne says “Trams weigh about half as much as an ocean liner and never come off second-best in a collision”. Tram versus car collisions occurred almost daily though most were minor knocks and scrapes. On a system with 500 trams serving over 250 route kms (around 550kms of track including sidings and depots) and where motoring skills are, by British standards, poor and somewhat anarcho-individualistic that is hardly surprising.

Today has proved quiet on the ears but busy enough on the hands. Meals pre-cooked for several days ahead alongside a delicious slow-roasted leggerlamb for tonight. Plus three loads through the sloshing machine and a vacuum and steam-mop of the bathrooms. Uniform is ready, shoes freshly polished and all I need now is a decent sleep.

Night all.

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Compiling with orders, I have placed my layout (Meopham East Junction) on E-Bay for sale. Details are elsewhere. If I manage to sell it the money is all ready listed for the renovation of Kate our Morris Minor  and perhaps a couple of pounds for a very small layout to be transported in said vehicle. I shall believe the former when I see it.

Are you aware that it is showing as £3.40 postage?

• RMweb Premium

Evening all again. I watched the program 'The biggest little railway in the world' and IMHO its well worth watching. I saw quite a few familiar faces particularily in the opening sequence including a mate of mine, Steve at the Bristol show. I think I spotted a few RMwebbers as well. Another four programs to come so I know what I will be doing the next four Sunday evenings.

• Like 12