The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Good morning one and all and appropriate greetings for the New Year!

I had a good time in Switzerland but a far from satisfactory journey home, courtesy of Deutsche Bahn who do not seem to realise that it takes more than one rail replacement bus to accommodate all the intending passengers from an ICE set.  My return home was something like five hours later than planned.  Greeting me were so much mail that I could not at first open the front door, 244 new e-mails not counting spam and 58 pages of new posts on this 'ere RMweb!  It follows that  I haven't a hope of catching up with happenings on ERs any time soon so I hope that all is as it should be.

Unreserved best wishes to all

Chris 

No-one can compete with the British when it comes to Rail Replacement Services - we have the infrastructure, the lack of investment and trains to give us world leading capability.  :mosking:

With "alles in ordnung", how can DB compete with us and get the practice in. Unmöglich.

No, in RRS we lead the world.  :jester:

ChrisF: My route from Zurich to Paris ended in (after 2 hours wait at Basel Station) a Rail replacement via Offenburg (two car set packed tighter than sardines!) and Strasbourg and a re-booking required for the next eurorat from Paris thus absorbing my planned 3 hours in Paris and leaving me an hour late into London!. Sounds like you had it easy!

iL Dottore is awaiting the dynamite avalanche prevention system before venturing home-wards a day late!

• RMweb Premium

Star Wars watched.

That's three hours (including getting to and from) of my life I'll not get back.

All that sticks in my mind are the bl**dy penguins from the animated Madagascar...............

Meanwhile, final form filling for HMRC and a possible visit to the tax avoidance folk  accountants tomorrow.

Other forms filled out were those for the NEC/Warley and duly returned (Sorry Baz!)

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

.and as I mentioned we are about 600m above sea level near the highest point in Leeds ...flooding here is a serious matter as it could wash Jamie away from his current home....

600m Baz, I didn't realise that you lived in a balloon tethered to the imitation GPO tower.

Jamie

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

600m Baz, I didn't realise that you lived in a balloon tethered to the imitation GPO tower.

Jamie

If it floods at 600m in Yorkshire, we're all doomed on the wetter side of The Pennines then................

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

If it floods at 600m in Yorkshire, we're all doomed on the wetter side of The Pennines then................

Cheers,

Mick

Yorkshire men would say what's the problem with that. Being a native of Cumberland there are plenty of parts of my home county that would still be high and dry.

Jamie

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Evening everyone

After this morning’s activities in the kitchen, I earned a few brownie points by repairing Sheila’s windproof umbrella. After that I headed for the sofa and read a book for a couple of hours. It makes a nice change from working in middle earth, but it gets nowt done!

Tomorrow I will venture out to the butchers, before once again heading down to middle earth to continue working on some picture frames that I’m painting for Sheila, earning a few more brownie points in the process.

I too have been to Milton Keynes, on a 2 day course, thank god it once only once!

Goodnight all.

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

I took advantage of a dry and not windy spell of weather today to take down the outside Christmas lights. Storm Eleanor had removed some of my neighbour's larger decorations (snowman, Santa, and a tree).

I will dismantle our indoor trees tomorrow. I only had a few days over the holiday when I was well and can't say I felt very jolly. It was really nice having Matthew home. Unlike the last couple of Christmas holidays where he was rather stressed by academic study pressures and health issues he seemed very content this year. He won't be home at Easter as he is going to Belgium for a conference so we will probably have another weekend in Dublin before then.

As my cough subsides Aditi's is getting worse. However she recovers from such things quite quickly.

Sleep well

Tony

Good morning one and all, with warm thoughts to the ailing, absent or both.

Arriving home five hours late after a holiday really screws up the plans but the catch-up continues.  One lot of laundry got done yesterday but there is not enough hot water to do the next lot and have a bath so the bath wins.  An annoying letter arrived from DVLA asking for details of the profession once enjoyed by the friend who verified my identity before he retired. What is the importance of that for goodness sake??

How rapidly a holiday wears off ...

Chris

• RMweb Premium

600m Baz, I didn't realise that you lived in a balloon tethered to the imitation GPO tower.Jamie

The tower at Cookridge stands on top of a 623m hill...we live just a little bit down hill....

Baz

Edited by Barry O

• RMweb Premium

Good morning to most,

Apparently it is time for a mugatea according to her indoors. This will be followed by a trip to Moreasons.

Mick I may call into an emporium in Settle on Sunday..be warned....

I need to alter my appointment with sister dracs' helper on Monday...lets guess which month they offer me for a new appointment..march I think...

Have as good a time as you can on Planet Earth over the next 24 hours. Lots of thoughts to all of our ailing ERs

Baz

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Good morning all from the Southern uplands of Leeds at the dizzy height of approx. 150m. Yesterday was a busy day but by mid afternoon the trailer was safely loaded and tucked away. I even managed to get the car and trailer weighed and am now satisfied That all is in order for the trip to France. The dining looks very empty without the table and the first two chairs.

I'm off to Bramham for a committee meeting this morning and this afternoon I'll be checking that the layout is loaded OK then some minor shopping to do to get ready for the trip tomorrow. I might even do some tidying of the modelling room. Hopefully I'll have an evening at the clubroom bringing long dormant Cobalt's to life.

Thoughts are with Debs and all other ER's who are ailing or missing.

Regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Mooring awl, Inner temple Here,

4 and a bit hours sleep followed by an hour and a bit of being awake, followed by 2 hours and a bit of sleep followed by a big bit of panic because I was late up.

Going home last night was at High tide for Effin clown town, hence looking from the "A" road, to the boat yard car park, to the Boat yard moorings, there was no change in water level.

When I got home I delivered this year company Christ mas box(I had a day off at work  when they were issued.

when I came back in after clearing the back of the landrover. It was in two piles, Mine (hers), and yours (mine), then I noticed something... the  box of chocolates was missing.... So I asked where they were ... she said they were were in the cupboard as I'm not allowed them...

Minor changes to the Colmans move, at least what they announced, 1 although they said Colmans had been in the City for 160 years, what they didn't say was that, Colmans started in 1814 just outside the city, 204 years ago, they moved to their current site 160 years ago. They've also announced that they are going to make a new mill for the dry powder somewhere in the area. so 40 people will still retain their jobs. Most of the mustard seed is locally grown so I guess it will be cheaper that way.

if we had 600 metres of water in Norfolk we'd be in real trouble, our Highest point is 331ft or roughly 100M, even if the water were to reach 19Ft ASL which would wet the feet of my house, Most of Norfolk would disappear.

Time to go back into battle with the equipment, later I'm going to spend all my muddling tokens on the new wheels for the landrover, hence the clearing of the back to take the old ones away... 

I'm  not leaving them behind Because

A, be charge a disposal charge,

B, there is much life in the old tyres, yet so I will sort them out and maybe sell on.

• RMweb Premium

Morning from a towering 30m asl.  We have a bilge pump in a sump in our garden low spot, I think you need to think about one as a permanent fitting too, Baz.  It is busy at this time of year but it is dry but cold 2c this morning.  That's UK (ish) cold, not Minnesota cold!

No bike club this morning, as I have to wait in for floor layers to come and finish the Karndean flooring in the bathroom.  Then at least everything is completed in there....until the next job.....

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Morning all and it's the last day of this shorter working week - anyone else glad to see Friday? Traffic is back to normal - 80 minutes to drive 14 miles. 

Power was restored by an electrician swmbo working for a firm advertising locally to us. He drove over from Canterbury on a £90 call out fee, spent 10 minutes fixing the fuses and was off again. To Croydon. I've heard of food miles, but sparkie miles must compete! 

Decision today is on which Premier Inn in Newcastle to stay in on my next trip up north (see above for irony).  

• RMweb Premium

A good head line to a thread elsewhere about the loss of Colmans...

Norfolk'N Mustard...

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Had a computer update last night so I set it in motion and then sat down to do some soduku puzzles. I had barely started the first puzzle when the computer 'pinged' indicating that the update was complete. Most updates usually take at least an hour, this one took less than ten minutes. Hoping to hear better news of Debs and any other ER's. Thats it for now, be back later.

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Interesting to see that Chris is also suffering from DVLA bureaucracy going barmy - the most ludicrous part of my medical examination was that the GP was required to enter the date of his next GMC revalidation - presumably to ensure that he hadn't been struck off and that I had given the address of a real GP (the word 'surgery' in the address might have been a clue) instead of a bloke I used to go trainspotting with (his however is a good name to drop in railway muddling circles).

So today I'm off to be chiropracted and see if this one can pull my head off (he's usually gentler than his colleague but that might not necessarily be a good thing) and thence over to M&S in Reading in an effort to exchange Mrs Stationmaster's Christmas present from me as she claims to have grown since I first took note of her size.

Have a good day one and all.

Morning all,

Interesting to see that Chris is also suffering from DVLA bureaucracy going barmy - the most ludicrous part of my medical examination was that the GP was required to enter the date of his next GMC revalidation - presumably to ensure that he hadn't been struck off and that I had given the address of a real GP (the word 'surgery' in the address might have been a clue) instead of a bloke I used to go trainspotting with (his however is a good name to drop in railway muddling circles).

So today I'm off to be chiropracted and see if this one can pull my head off (he's usually gentler than his colleague but that might not necessarily be a good thing) and thence over to M&S in Reading in an effort to exchange Mrs Stationmaster's Christmas present from me as she claims to have grown since I first took note of her size.

Have a good day one and all.

I used to visit a Chiropractor and SHE only wore Bra Pants, Suspender Belt and Stockings under her thin white coat, it took me ages to get better.  :no:  :no:  :no:  :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

I used to visit a Chiropractor and SHE only wore Bra Pants, Suspender Belt and Stockings under her thin white coat, it took me ages to get better.  :no:  :no:  :no:  :sungum:

I need a Chiropractor can you send me her address? :boast: