The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

As the not so Great Western Railway is in something of a scene of disarray I decided not to venture out in the wind.  Strange how a nearly new signalling system at Slough (or east thereof) has managed to fail when it is oft stated to be 'far more reliable' than the 50 year old signalling it replaced a couple of years back.  Seems 'they' don't make signalling systems like 'they' used to  :O

• Like 2

1.69 litres won't make much difference if you fill the rest of the tank with petrol.

Believe me, I was rather banking on drowning the tank in high-octane petrol and Redex fuel-system cleaner, and then using the resultant mix to burn through the diesel.

• Like 1

Morning on another "non-BIN" BIN day - I get confused enough I wonder how the BIN truck drivers fare, shifting their routes/routines for a couple of weeks?

Thoughts go out to Debs, I'm connected with her on Facebook but she's not posted in a while so it's good we have alternate contacts via ERs also.

Nothing much happening here, I think the cold is FINALLY easing up, hope so as I don't want severe congestion when I head out to NY again Sunday - aircraft pressurization can be miserable when you're congested...

Still waiting for the warming to occur here, cloudy and -19 again this AM with a forecast high of -15 <yawn> 

Carry on with whatever the day holds in store for you.

I went to Milton Keynes once

I went past it on Monday to have a look at the "Vintage Stony" classic car show held in the centre of Stony Stratford. I have a distinct feeling that the show is now so successful that it has long outgrown the space available. There were so many pre- and post-war cars, trucks and motorbikes on display that the crowds spilled into the road. Not safe.

Also, it rained there. Heavily.

As the not so Great Western Railway is in something of a scene of disarray I decided not to venture out in the wind.  Strange how a nearly new signalling system at Slough (or east thereof) has managed to fail when it is oft stated to be 'far more reliable' than the 50 year old signalling it replaced a couple of years back.  Seems 'they' don't make signalling systems like 'they' used to  :O

And talking of Scenery, last time I went to Didcot, was the first time I had seen the Gantry, RIGHT THROUGH THE ROOF of that lovely old Island Platform Building, I nearly cried. :no:  :no:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

This link makes interesting reading. It will change daily so will be worth looking at tomorrow as our train has been cancelled tow out of he three days it has run so far this week.

https://www.southernrailway.com/about-us/how-were-performing/daily-performance-report

I wrote a complaint last December to both Southern and Thameslink. Southern so far haven’t responded and Thameslinks reply was so off topic it wound me up more as it just shows what a wat3 of tall me it is complaining or hem apart form increasing the number of complaints.

This morning we had to stand on the latrnative services of an hour. Tonight our train to East Croydon sat outside New Cross Gate awaiting a lat running Uckfield which wil now likely mean missing our connection and the Thameslink service is cancelled due to problems north of Bedford

• RMweb Premium

Back from playing trains....

her indoors couldn't get the pump to work so yet more water in the lake....and as I mentioned we are about 600m above sea level near the highest point in Leeds ...flooding here is a serious matter as it could wash Jamie away from his current home....

HH  not so much muddy as gloopy.. ideal for a hippo!

Another phone call from Boeing Allways today ... obviously their Key Performance Indicator (KPI) is "return call to customer" rather than "return call to customer who is provided with a sensible solution to a problem we have made for them".... I have offered to sort out their KPIs and Customer Care policies for free...and I mean it...Could be I have to travel across to their "fun house"  (waterside) while waiting for my connection.... perhaps they could rustle up a cup of tea for me there... probably not as the idea of having hot water, a tea bag, a cup and some milk plus a suitable spoon would be beyond them.....

Baz

edited to get an additive to tea correct!!

Edited by Barry O

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Well the e-mail is a little faster now but still pedestrian. Not helped by 43 new e-mails since this morning. Most of them notifications of answers to a post I made on Facebook this morning asking who owned an original BMC Mini and for their stories, it looks like a lot of reading I've got to do. I hope we get more (and better) news of Debs soon.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

.... but a far from satisfactory journey home, courtesy of Deutsche Bahn who do not seem to realise that it takes more than one rail replacement bus to accommodate all the intending passengers from an ICE set.  ....

Chris 

No-one can compete with the British when it comes to Rail Replacement Services - we have the infrastructure, the lack of investment and trains to give us world leading capability.  :mosking:

With "alles in ordnung", how can DB compete with us and get the practice in. Unmöglich.

No, in RRS we lead the world.  :jester:

Edited by AndyB
  • Like 3

Next update from Liverpool.

The Sister on Debs' ward has texted me again.

Dad (Keith) is home and slowly recovering, and thanks us all for our concern and good wishes.

Of Debs, still in the same unit but the sister has said that Debs has asked that I be kept informed of any 'significant change in her condition'.

Now I've never met Debs - only on this forum and on Facebook. May I just ask that we do not speculate on her condition - it is, as you may expect, quite serious and she was admitted in Derby before Christmas before discharging herself and going to see her dad. Then she was admitted to Liverpool, where she is still.

It's just that I was on the right place at the right time to form a link.

• RMweb Gold

Next update from Liverpool.

The Sister on Debs' ward has texted me again.

Dad (Keith) is home and slowly recovering, and thanks us all for our concern and good wishes.

Of Debs, still in the same unit but the sister has said that Debs has asked that I be kept informed of any 'significant change in her condition'.

Now I've never met Debs - only on this forum and on Facebook. May I just ask that we do not speculate on her condition - it is, as you may expect, quite serious and she was admitted in Derby before Christmas before discharging herself and going to see her dad. Then she was admitted to Liverpool, where she is still.

It's just that I was on the right place at the right time to form a link.

It must be a relief to Debs that her Dad is home and recovering.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Aditi said we had enough ingredients for a batch of mulled wine with dinner. Just before dinner she mentioned thst she had made a slight error and it turned out we were having mulled port.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Evening all. Very best wishes and positive thoughts to Debs.

Multiple issues today. Multiple trees down, heavy rain, level crossing issue at North Sheen, track circuit failures at Raynes Park and Basingstoke and a Southern passenger taken ill who felt unable to leave the train except in the care of an ambulance crew thereby closing the Up Brighton Slow for half an hour. Problems on the Overground routes too and at one point an obstruction which prevented access to platform 1 necessitating diversion to Plan B namely platform 17. Except that was under a temporary engineer’s possession resulting in the train being sat outside on a red signal for 20 minutes .....

Off to Blazingsmoke again tomorrow for the now-mandatory Suicide Awareness course run by the Samaritans.

Mother continues to take a step forward followed by a step back. The stair lift goes in on the 18th which is commendably quick. I had thought in terms of months not days.

Best wishes to all. See you soon.

Evening all,

A quick visit because I my shift on a truck starts at 6am and I still have to bath then iron my uniform.

Spent today at Mike's building four baseboards for my layout, then helping him to repair his shed. Just ten more baseboards to build.

Bill

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Aditi said we had enough ingredients for a batch of mulled wine with dinner. Just before dinner she mentioned thst she had made a slight error and it turned out we were having mulled port.

sounds good! Enjoy!

As it happens I have sent a "screamer" to Alex Cruz.. he said he will make BA better..and yet from my point of view they are on a par with Network Fail as regards to teh contempt they show their customers....  

Apologies... rant over...

I just hope that Debs can turn the corner as she deserves a bit of sunshine in her life.

As for our "missing" ERs.. I would hope we may see postings from some of them... even if it is to assure us that they are OK.

Time for a glass of Madeira...

Baz

• Like 14