The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Evening everyone

This morning’s sunshine turned into rain just after dinner and by teatime we’d got strong winds too.

Not a lot has been done today, mainly reading and catching up on some recorded TV, it’s been very quiet and relaxing.

2018 mugsatea in a year, as a former British Steel and British Gas worker, that’s dead easy, I’ll probably manage it my mid May as well.

Goodnight all.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Temperatures -22 when I awoke -- may have been lower. The bottle of water in the car was frozen, even after being in the attached garage all night.

There may have been fireworks in a local park last night. It was too cold to go to see.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all. From going to sleep at 05.15 to waking up at 05.15. Thankfully having worked shifts for many years the body is still quite adaptable.

Spring must be on the way as there are already birds singing at this hour.

Now as some vertically-challenged folk once sang: “I owe, I owe, so off to work I go”.

Have a good Cheeseday one and all.

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

M9rning all.

Cool and dry here. I was going to take Matthew to the airport this morning but Aditi suggested I shouldn't. She is back now and Matthew has texted to say he is drinking the worst cup of coffee he had experienced in an airport.

Have a good day.

Tony

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Morning to most, evening to others!

Mugatea drunk and another brewing...

Curry last night has had a positive affect on my sore throat. Great!

Some parcels to post and I hope to receive some parcels today.

Have as good a 24 hours on Planet Earth as you can everyone

Baz

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Dry and dull here with the chance of some sunshine, thickening cloud and rain later then brightening up again.

More fireworks again locally yesterday for a while but not late. Hope they've run out of the bloody things now.

Some domestic tasks to undertake this morning and then I believe some forward planning needs to be started for the year ahead. My part in this will be to indicate the weekends I will be visiting model railway exhibitions. Unfortunately I'll be missing one of my favourites because we've booked a cruise that clashes with it.

Have a good one,

Bob.

Morning all. A great nights sleep thanks to no fireworks for a change.

Lots to get on with but working from home most of this week.

Time for another coffee.

Have a good day everyone.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a village that's just getting light though there is a spectacular sunrise to the North east of us. The boss has just departed to spend the morning mooching round a shopping centre with her friend so I have been left home alone. Dangerous times....

Yesterday I got the table dismantled and will wrap the various parts up for transport. After that we went over to see Beth's dad but called at the storage container for her to tell me which thing have priority for taking to France at the weekend. After that not a lot was done.

Some phone calls to make today s the world has returned to work after the holidays, some boxes to put in the car and hopefully some tidying of the muddling room.

Regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 18

Morning all. A great nights sleep thanks to no fireworks for a change.

Lots to get on with but working from home most of this week.

Time for another coffee.

Have a good day everyone.

Morning Duncan, All the very best with your New Venture mate.

• Like 1

Roundhouse ... great picture of the SS Great Britain.

Followed this from its recovery to Bristol and in Gloucester days visited it often and observed the progress on restoration.  Have a photograph of my oldest as a toddler  - now in his 40s on the last trip that we made.

Peter

Happy New year from Bristol. The first time that I saw the SS Great Britain it was a rusting hulk with scaffold walk ways in this location.

A lot of pubs closed today here but still a few great places open. Food also not that easy to come by but we have found a pizza place open.

Our last night away over the holidays so it's a back to normal tomorrow night and dreading what they have done to Redhill station. It reopens tomorrow after a major alteration.

Great pic of the SS Great Britain, My late farther had Lunch on there with the Duke of Edinburgh (and a few others) when the Company he worked for won the Queens Award for Industry back in the 1970's or 80's. They went to Bristol Via the Royal Train from Reading, and also Visited Concorde at Filton on the way, the week before it's maiden flight.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Slept like a log last night but I was up pretty late to take a look at the 'Wolf Moon' which was providing enough light that the street lights superflous. Incidently a Wolf Moon is one of the rare occasions when two full moons occur in the same month. Not a lot else to report, be back later.

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

nice way to start the 8th decade.  

Does that mean it's your Birthday Mike?

If so many happy returns.

If not, you can save the happy returns and claim them back later.

• Like 2

I don't take sugar.. but we are up to number 6 (well it is brewing as I type this......)

Baz

All this talk of tea and lots of it has made me think back to my time with HS at Brough. You could have a drink in the afternoon but it was frowned on for you to leave your place of work to go and get one. That was got around with a simple cardboard box. With a slot cut in one side it had to be the right size to go over your mug, with the base of the box uppermost and slotted over your mug. Problem solved! 

Incidentally, the firm fitted two very large electric boilers for tea making, which the night shift always made sure were full when they went home. The trouble was they took an age to come to the boil and therefore we had to wait for that first hot drink. This problem was solved by the purchase of an electric kettle which was installed in an under work bench cupboard. The only problem there was if it was forgotten, the escape of steam would bring the cry, "Your cupboards boiling!"  

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

A‘noon, folks. Down with acute bronchitis which broke out last night, thus feeling well and truly mangled. Trying to get a bit of shut-eye, of which I had far too little over night due to fever and breathing difficulties.

Generic C&Cs as appropriate...

A friend of mine started the New Year with a broken leg - broken in three places. They had to cut her welly off. Her friend's anarchic Labrador wrapped its lead around her leg, then towed her at some speed downhill in its haste to join another dog in the distance. She's looking at the next few months hobbling around.

EDIT: this is partly why I prefer horses to dogs.

Edited by Horsetan

• RMweb Gold

Does that mean it's your Birthday Mike?

If so many happy returns.

If not, you can save the happy returns and claim them back later.

It is indeed BoD, many thanks.  As a matter of relatively useless historical fact and probably irrelevant trivia I arrived 26 hours and 30 minutes after the moment of nationalisation of Britain's railways.

• Like 18

Chewsday and the start of the work year for me. Only 356 days till Christmas :O

Another slow day yesterday continuing the struggle with my cold and congestion.

Mrs went to see MiL to wish her a Happy New Year and Jemma returned from her trip.

Off this afternoon to see the eye doctor, is technically a "regular annual appointment", but I've some blurred vision in my right eye last several days and not sure what that's about :(

Hope the year start off well for those heading back to the coalface, for the rest, enjoy yourselves anyway :jester:

EDIT: Happy birthday Mike...

Edited by Ian Abel