The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Ah

Morning all,

Colds are well established among Mrs Stationmaster and myself - duly spread to us by the offspring who brought them into the house, no doubt we shall survive.

In order to resolve Gordon's confusion I append below a somewhat larger version of the picture which is also my avatar on here - the smokebox numberplate  should resolve any confusion for those who think all GWR 4-6-0s look the same and you've also got a somewhat younger, and rather grubby, image of myself standing at the top of the cab steps (two of us had spent the previous night throwing out most of the fire so the Boilersmith could get at some leaking tube ends and we then had to rebuild the fire with not much time to spare but we managed to come off shed more or less on time).  Photo by my friend, the late Tom Clift; click to enlarge the pic if you feel so inclined.

So once you've recovered from the shock of the old have a good day and best wishes and positive thoughts to the ailing and their relatives.

attachicon.gif7029 at Coates 160587.jpg

Ah, Clunk Castle..... I had to explain about "clunk" to the current custodians...

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

' Afternoon all from red dragon land.

Looks like rain heading this way.

After lunch (immenent) hope to fit in some videos.

Morning all,

Colds are well established among Mrs Stationmaster and myself - duly spread to us by the offspring who brought them into the house, no doubt we shall survive.

In order to resolve Gordon's confusion I append below a somewhat larger version of the picture which is also my avatar on here - the smokebox numberplate  should resolve any confusion for those who think all GWR 4-6-0s look the same and you've also got a somewhat younger, and rather grubby, image of myself standing at the top of the cab steps (two of us had spent the previous night throwing out most of the fire so the Boilersmith could get at some leaking tube ends and we then had to rebuild the fire with not much time to spare but we managed to come off shed more or less on time).  Photo by my friend, the late Tom Clift; click to enlarge the pic if you feel so inclined.

So once you've recovered from the shock of the old have a good day and best wishes and positive thoughts to the ailing and their relatives.

When I saw it, it looked like this!

post-14049-0-10121400-1514635375_thumb.jpg

Tyseley 24 October 2015

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Morning all,

The first time I saw it, it was hauling a special over the S&C probably either late 67 or early 68. I seem to remember we got Sir Nigel through as well about that time.

Jamie

• Like 8

This morning I was surprised by Amazon.

I ordered a new airbrush and portable spray booth on Tuesday at a considerable discount and they gave me a delivery date of Tuesday 2nd January.

Imagine my shock and surprise when the doorbell went and both were delivered.

Time to set it all up.

Back later, possibly.

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Aditi's Amazon packages arrived as two separate deliveries, one of which was delivered by Hermes. One of her purchases was a torch. It didnt work. One of the 3 batteries was quite dead but replacement with a respectable make soon sorted it out. Aditi can now wander around the garden at night without fear of treading on something unpleasant.

• RMweb Premium

The first time I saw it, it was hauling a special over the S&C probably either late 67 or early 68. I seem to remember we got Sir Nigel through as well about that time.Jamie

Both clunk and sir Nigel ran specials over Shap in 1967...as seen on the Shap layout at Warley.

Baz

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon Awl,

Pumped up tyre on landrover, found leak was around rusty valve hole. So there is no point going to the tyre place, they'd just charge be a tenner and say "you need a new wheel mate"

I've been thinking of alloy wheels this is going to get expensive.

I've just paid the motorboat insurance and just received the bill for moorings and club membership.

I drove to the sailing club through many big puddles, fields are flooded, the radiowomble said all rivers have flood warnings. Just an hour before low tide and the water was still lapping over the club quay heading. We have storm Dylan on the way overnight, that will bring low pressure, more rain. So high tide tomorrow looks exceedingly soggy..

The 24 batteries needed 3 gallons of water, I need to check that more often.

Time too.. start searching the net for alloy wheels that fit old landrover 110s.

• Like 1

....I drove to the sailing club through many big puddles, fields are flooded, the radiowomble said all rivers have flood warnings. Just an hour before low tide and the water was still lapping over the club quay heading. We have storm Dylan on the way overnight, that will bring low pressure, more rain. So high tide tomorrow looks exceedingly soggy...

The answer is simple. You need waders! :jester:

....start searching the net for alloy wheels that fit old landrover 110s.

It can sometimes be cheaper to buy a used set with good tyres already on them than it is to buy four new tyres....

....Just heard DeadRingers on R4 and loved the soothing Penelope Wilton chatting about nuclear apocalypse. ...

The woman who does Teresa May is just uncanny. Like the regular references to Arlene Foster :mosking:

http://youtu.be/lv0JYIbRSCI

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 12

post-7286-0-44115200-1514643800.jpg

Yes, the excellent picture taking us to the lineside makes all the difference! As H. C. Casserley often remarks in the Observer's "Railway Locomotives of Britain", when stuck for "Additional Identification Features", "Most easily identified by Number Series"!

TBH, the only GWR Castle I've ever seen is Caerphilly Castle, when it was in the Science Museum. The experience was enlivened by a former fireman who had brought his family to look at "his" engine and said many interesting things about it in a lovely Welsh accent. It still makes me chuckle to remember his initial remark: "Oh, I wish I had a pound for every shovelful of coal I put through that hole there!"

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all,

Whilst swmbo ventured into M&S she parked me in WHSmiths by the magazines. A happy 20 minutes was passed browsing various railway-related journals and i exited via the till with the January copy of Back Tracks. 

If timing is everything in comedy then it is perhaps more true in first aid. Whilst walking up the High St I spotted an elderly lady start to collapse to the ground. A swift intervention meant she never actually hit her destination and, with a couple of other passers by, we helped her out. Apparently she was having an epileptic fit. A whack from the cobble stones might not have helped her situation. 

FWIW, Mike, when I first started working within the rail industry some twenty years ago, I happened to mention to our sponsor that one of my team was "keen on trains". 

"OH, GOD, NOOOO!" was pretty much the reply.The last thing they needed was technical work being undertaken by folk who might count railways as a hobby; they just wanted our expertise and knowledge, not amateur enthusiasm for trains. I admire any of those on here who have real world experience trying to educate those with less knowledge than conviction! i do suspect, however, that you're facing something of a challenge, though. 

Unbelievably it is still only Saturday and a couple of days left of the holiday. So, on that basis, I'm going to have a nap to help with the large meal the MiL has just served. 

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

ooh eck!  Ha'way the Lads...again....

I wonder if GDB watched Doncaster v Yorkshire Carnegie? A red card which was fine by me but lummy the ex England flanker went off on one...

Baz

Morning <sniff>

Don't let that shiny blob in the sky fool you, it doesn't necessarily mean it's warm or hot!

Coming to you right now from a very sunny but SODDING COLD Minnesnowta. Welding gear won't start in this weather.

Morning call it was -26 with a -39 Realfeel! Today's high we're heading for a whopping -20 :O Looks like New Years Eve will be the coldest since '73 if the current predictions hold.

Given they report all temperatures in "F" here, and they're saying we won't make it above zero F for the next few days, you know it's cold. Buqqered if I'm going out anywhere especially given my condition - see below;

On another note, I don't recall meeting Mr Stationmaster or his Mrs recently , but SOMEHOW as of last evening have contracted their head cold or some other miserable condition, these things can be contracted over the internet now it seems :jester:  :(

Right that's me worn out, my brain hurts, may try and do some modeling, otherwise I'm just going to sit and wallow/fester <sigh>

Have a good run up to the end of 2017...

• RMweb Premium

I have met Mike but I don't have a cold.

To be fair it was about four years ago though......... :jester:

-39C??  :O   Not experienced that since I spent some time in Norway over winter on a laid up ship in the 70's. wow, tough folk in Minnesnowta indeed, Ian.  Is that why Gemma is away?  Sensible girl  :sungum:

Edited by New Haven Neil
  • Like 15

Evening all,

Seems the dynamics of John's holiday aren't working. I'm using the same firm in the summer for my main holiday - to the Baltic and on to Moscow.

Meanwhile, I've booked my March break to Gießen. Hotel booked by the webby thing, trains looked up in a similar fashion but booked by phone resulting in a £30 saving.

I see that Mike has received a clawing on another thread.

I've kept my head down with Radio 3 as I work on the Charles Roberts' project.

Keep well all, Bill

Edited by bbishop
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Talking of contagious illnesses, on Boxing Day I went bargain hunting in Tesco's. While I was in there there was a toddler making some very miserable sounds. When I got nearer I could see that he had a very nasty looking rash. I made a few sympathetic sounds to which the childs mother replied 'Its OK its only chicken pox.' Cock/Henwombleness must be even more highly contagious. Apart from the fact that the place for a sick child is tucked up in bed there is the risk to those adults who have had chicken pox of them contracting shingles which can be very nasty.

Evenin'all,

Been out down the Smoke all day for a very nice family gathering and haven't caught up with the day's goings on in ERs, so best wishes to all in need of a virtual 'chin up'.

Driving home from Barnes through Hammersmith and up towards the A40 / M40 I recognised (for the umpteenth time) some of the locations used in 'The Professionals', 'The Sweeney' and 'Minder' and realised when I got home that it's forty years ago today that the very first episode of 'The Profs' was shown, incredible to think it really was four decades ago! Seems to be sod all on the TV tonight so I shall be pouring a cold beer and digging out the DVDs again, I dare say some will recall it being rather naff and cartoonish but to those of a certain persuasion it was a massive part of growing up in the late '70s and early '80s..... cover me, I'm going in...!

post-7638-0-67807900-1514667572.jpg

Night all.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Yes, the excellent picture taking us to the lineside makes all the difference! As H. C. Casserley often remarks in the Observer's "Railway Locomotives of Britain", when stuck for "Additional Identification Features", "Most easily identified by Number Series"!

TBH, the only GWR Castle I've ever seen is Caerphilly Castle, when it was in the Science Museum. The experience was enlivened by a former fireman who had brought his family to look at "his" engine and said many interesting things about it in a lovely Welsh accent. It still makes me chuckle to remember his initial remark: "Oh, I wish I had a pound for every shovelful of coal I put through that hole there!"

I remember seeing Caerphilly Castle at the Science Museum, myself.  Wow! What an impression that made!  Imagine my disappointment, some years later, when I took my class of 7-8 year olds to the museum only to find it had GONE!

And, for those, like me, who did not get to see it delivered to the museum, here is the video.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Layout worked on - plans in place for a big push on the detailing front.

Billingham visited, ice hockey watched, safely returned.

Just after we set off, I asked Junior NB to confirm the start time, which I thought was 6.30pm. I had a nagging feeling that it was earlier. We missed the 5.30 face-off by two minutes by abandoning our planned food stop on the way. At least it meant that I could partake of chips and gravy from the rink cafe at the first interval.

Although a 4-3 loss, you couldn't fault the Hawks effort, but credit to Billingham Stars for their robust defence. Possibly the least penalty match I've ever seen, only one for one of our guys for a mistimed challenge. Quite often, Hawks v Stars racks up quite a few penalty minutes, as it's long standing rivalry between them.

A few c*ckwombles on the road - I guess it's that time of year. 188 miles and not a single bit of motorway used.

One who refused to put his full headlights on when no-one was coming the other way and driving in a stop/start manner as the bends in the road suddenly appeared. And one of my pet hates - oncoming drivers who put their full beam back on just a little too early. 

I had a call from work earlier today asking if I could carry out a few extra tests on the stuff I was checking over the past couple of days. No need to go in early, just get there when I do and I'll get the time back in the next couple of weeks. 

I had nothing planned for tomorrow daytime except some layout wrangling, so I'll go and earn a few brownie points at work, It's also quite handy, because I could do with a couple of things from work for my layout.

Evening do should be at the golf club with a few party games - I'll avoid them by playing on my sciatica.......

Have a good and HNY folks.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

There seem to be some remarkably dense headed people on various parts of this forum ranging from some who don't seem to understand how electricity works (like it goes along wires and wires can be joined to other wires) to others who don't understand the working of time and definitely don't understand railway timetabling (although the latter is hardly a surprise as it can be a quite complex subject).  Ah well it takes all sorts as we've long known so no problem.

Anyway Mrs Stationmaster's cold seems to be worsening while mine - thus far this evening - doesn't seem too bad and I'm very sorry if it was transmitted via virtual means to the frozen wastes winter wonderland of the mid USofA.

G'night all 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

There seem to be some remarkably dense headed people on various parts of this forum ranging from some who don't seem to understand how electricity works (like it goes along wires and wires can be joined to other wires) to others who don't understand the working of time and definitely don't understand railway timetabling (although the latter is hardly a surprise as it can be a quite complex subject).  Ah well it takes all sorts as we've long known so no problem.

I think I mentioned the 800 thread once and got away with it..............................

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 3