The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

The snow here in the Southern Uplands of Leeds has stopped and according to the seaweed twirlers is due to melt. The boss got off to fat club and I've had a pleasant morning soldering connections in the control panel I'm working on. The dining room is now clean and tidy for the wedding dress fitting (Not mine) and lunch has been taken. Whilst eating I watched the lunchtime news. The Beeb had a reporter next to junction 24 of the M62, otherwise known as Ainley Top. What some folk won't know is that there's a VOSA weighbridge at the junction, on the north side at 1000' above sea level. It was not a pleasant task to be posted there to do traffic duty for the men from the ministry and it was usually a duty for the sprogs. However if any of the longer serving PC's fell foul of the Sgt's a day on "Road checks at Ainley" was a brilliant way of letting them know that they'd transgressed without resorting to formal discipline.

Jamie

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

What some folk won't know is that there's a VOSA weighbridge at the junction,

VOSA merged with the DSA to become DVSA back in 2014.

As an instructor, we were in the remit of the DSA  - they will still using DSA stationary/headers on the notices in my local test centre two years later.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon Awl,

I went down to the shed, in light drizzle, just after I got in there, the wind and rain increased greatly.

Another two sheets of ply demolished into layout support surfaces. My one part built board is in its home with a little difficulty due to a lack of manoeuvring room. I'll have to watch that with further boards. Two sheets of celotex were cut up into 2ft by 4ft size for 4 more base boards.

My other hobby has a new web site, I've taken part in the 3 Rivers Race for about 37 years, these days as one of the team of about 50 race officials, with another 20 running the galley for the 24 hours. Next year's race is the 2nd and 3rd of June 2018. So here the new site is, http://3rr.uk

There is more information on the home club Horning Sailing club website https://www.horning-sailing.club/3rrabout.php

If you sail a dinghy or sailing boat up to about 30 foot and fancy a go at the third toughest mass participation in the country, the application forms are on there, along with information on the race and it's history. Note this is a new website and a lot more information needs to be added.

Typing this missive was interrupted by another good meal of left overs.

An eye lid inspection beckons, then a trip to the MRC.

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all.

SWMBO returned safely from Somewhere slightly south of Bath yesterday evening despite freezing conditions and warnings of ice.  It seems trains can run when rails are icy but not when they are covered with (liquid) water as per her outward trek.  Delay Repay has been applied for; as the delay may not have been entirely weather-related we await the verdict.

No further updates on the home front which suggests mother is unchanged or perhaps managing a few more nibbles of something for now.  I am purposely giving my sister space and not asking her for updates all the time as she has more than enough on her plate right now.  She will let me know what I need to know when I need to know it.  

The Hill remains cold with sunny intervals between very heavy bands of rain.  The Thames is very high and flowing as fast as I've seen it.  Took a trip to Windsor yesterday just to get out of the house and noted there was significant debris lodged against the piers of the bridge there (the old road bridge leading to Eton) while everyone and their dogs seemed to be photographing the near-flooding torrent.  Not quite in the same league but I was reminded of the Ness Bridge which collapsed severing the Far North and Kyle lines for many months not more than a few days after my last trip across it and in similar circumstances.

The inter-festival period is a strange time.  Quiet yet busy.  Town centres are packed with sale-goers but many of us are not required to work.  Locally here it's been so quiet most of the time that even the foxes are embarrassed to break wind lest they should be overheard.

Best wishes to all and with particular thoughts to those known to be in special need.

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 2

POETS and BIN all on the same day, how exciting! :scratchhead:

All quiet on the BIN front though, so I'm wondering if the BIN men forgot they are supposed to show up today, usually a constant parade of trucks from 7AM on but narry a one yet and it's nearly 10!

Quiet yesterday, except I did venture out to see the latest Star Wars offering with a friend. Enjoyed the movie, but wouldn't quite assign it an "excellent", maybe "very good" will do.

We've got Whitney again for a few days as Jemma is off for another what looks like now a 6 day (they changed her first trip of January at the last minute) tour.

The Mrs is off out imminently for a walk around one of the lakes with a friend - these Minnesota women are made of strong stuff :O

Another consistently cool day and overcast, -18 right now (Realfeel -25) with overnight lows in the -25 range the next few days. Not expected to be above zero F ( -18 C) for days...

POE if you can, I'm going to try for it, have a good day all.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

POE not relevant here.  Expecting to be required for the so-called business days of this week I was pleasantly surprised to be assigned annual leave.  BIN day on the other hand is deferred by 48 hours due to the holidays meaning we are scheduled to be disturbed on Sunday morning, and the week after will be on Saturday before reverting to Friday as normal the week after that.  In Australia the bin men came on their regular day no matter what.  Even collecting on Christmas morning which surprised most of us who hadn't bothered to put bins out - and no doubt pleasing the driver (only ever a solo driver there) who would have completed his round in double-quick time.

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Spent a few modelling tokens this morning and even got some extra ones. I had left a surplus model with a trader to sell on my behalf just before Christmas. It hadn't been sold when I arrived at the toy fair this morning but was sold shortly after so more modelling tokens to spend and quite a profit even after the trader received his commission. I took my friend and his young son with me, my friend found a few Triang playland 00 buildings dating from the 1950/60's. I purchased a few diecast vehicles plus some other bits and bobs. My friends son had received an X-Box for Christmas that came with two games. Problem was the games were rated 18! my friends boy is only 9 and special education needs that makes him the same as a 6 year old. The same games that came with the X-box were on sale at £10 in Tesco's but those suitable for children started at £15 and needless to say he wanted the most expensive at £22:50.

• RMweb Premium

once the snow stopped...it rained...a lot!

Just spent 47minutes talking to Boeing Always (lack of) customer service team. Their processes no longer allow them to act in the best interests of the passenger ....bl££dy useless.. I do feel for the customer service team! As for the senior management team..well they could do well to understand what it means to run a customer centric business (and realise what happens when they upset people who pay their wages!)

Lots of muddling done today and a bit of cricket watched - major faux pas by Big Bash umpires today.. they really do need to read the Laws of cricket!

Have a good day/evening/night wherever you are.

Baz

• RMweb Gold

Well the 'medical' wasn't exact;y what i expected and seemed to consist mainly of form filling and being asked a few questions about events in 1999 as the medical records from back then would appear to be rather scant, paperwork duly sent to Swansea and we now await the results of their next box ticking, or not ticking, exercise.  Daftest thing on the form - they asked the date of the GP's next GMC revalidation, he had to go on the GMC website to get the info.

In the meanwhile as I simply didn't fancy yet another lunch time snack of cold pork the remains of that were put outside for the birds - lovely to watch a Red Kite swooping down to collect only a few feet away from you; makes a nice change from the pigeons and doves just outside the back door.  And tonight we're having a Chinese meal courtesy of herself's shopping in Waitrose - definitely a get over seasonal catering meal.

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Evening.  Survived stock taking - just.  Result = there's a lot. Including a few things living down the back of shelves we had lost!

Drive to work this morning was difficult, and inch of snow that was  almost but not quite slush meant the average Manxwomble was doing 10 mph...... 30 was OK in the conditions.  Took a while to get to work.  As it snows so infrequently here folk don't get enough practice to be able to cope with a smidgeon of snow.  Being from the north-east it doesn't bother me, we used to get a LOT of practice.  Must admit the auto car is great in the slippery conditions though, with the gentle power delivery when required.

4 days off now, thank crunchie - I'm shattered.

• RMweb Gold

I have managed to do very little today. My cough is at the "If I don't move I don't cough" stage. If I hadn't been unwell I would have been having a colonoscopy today. I think I would I almost preferred that to this recurrence of chestiness.

Matthew is off to Reading for the New Year weekend tomorrow. His friends from Leicester Uni seem to have gravitated to live there. They were planning to spend the New Year in Newcastle but sorting out travel proved problematic allegedly. Matthew returns to Dublin on Tuesday.

Tony

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I would always start off in 2nd but don't tend to use gears 5 and 6 t all if I am driving on fresh snow....

Baz that's not good for your clutch doing that, start off in first and keep your boot away from the gas pedal just let the clutch out a bit slower than normal once you are rolling then gently apply the gas

rev to 8-900rpm (for diesel use less rev's) then change up  again let the car roll before pressing the gas pedal, I learn't that at a advance high speed driving course at Prodrive courtesy of Ford on their

tiled road it was good fun in a pocket rocket I once owned.  :pilot:

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Baz that's not good for your clutch doing that, start off in first and keep your boot away from the gas pedal just let the clutch out a bit slower than normal once you are rolling then gently apply the gas

rev to 8-900rpm (for diesel use less rev's) then change up  again let the car roll before pressing the gas pedal, I learn't that at a advance high speed driving course at Prodrive courtesy of Ford on their

tiled road it was good fun in a pocket rocket I once owned.  :pilot:

Thanks but I will stick to advice from a police advanced driving instructor many years ago... and your clutch should last at least 120,000 miles..  

Baz

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Thanks but I will stick to advice from a police advanced driving instructor many years ago... and your clutch should last at least 120,000 miles..  

Baz

Probably would have been OK in your Ford Prefect all those years ago.

Happy New Year BAZ  :jester:

Edit missed a bit out laughing.

Edited by 81C
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

I would concur with second gear in difficult conditions.

A couple of years ago, a lady slipped to a stand just outside my house on the almost sheet ice and gentle slope as I was walking past.

I advised her to try second gear and off she went!

What doesn't help clutches is trying to show off when setting off in 3rd and 4th gear.

It rained quite hard this afternoon, so I ended up coming home the normal route via the back roads without any issues.

Of the 4 urgent jobs that landed on my desk yesterday, I had completed two by 4pm. I was about to have quick chat with my boss about the other two as I'm rostered off for the next 7 days. He said that one needed doing very quickly and one can wait a week. One was going to take 20 minutes and the other 3-4 hours. Guess which one he picked? I left the office on time at 5pm.......

Hopefully the weather will be ok for tomorrow evening as there's a strong possibly of a trip to Billingham for the ice hockey.

There may also be some tinkering with small railway shaped items in the next few days.

Might catch up later.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

It's handbags at dawn on the class 800 thread. Makes a change from the ones about narrow gauge track.

Jamie

I had a quick look and one of the regular combatants doesn't surprise me. It might be me, but whenever I see his replies, they always seem to be argumentative.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

In my car I just set the terrain control to snow and move off as carefully as I usually do.

The Fiesta has winter tyres and that makes a big difference too once the temperature gets into single digits.

Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 15

... he is originally from Winnipeg where it is -46°C  !

I hope their snow-clearing equipment isn't propane-powered, then. That was the situation in a northern BC town a few years ago - no clearing possible.

• RMweb Gold

I had a quick look and one of the regular combatants doesn't surprise me. It might be me, but whenever I see his replies, they always seem to be argumentative.

Cheers,

Mick

Have you had a look at the Cooper Craft thread? Just the last few pages gives the sense of the rest of the thread.

Today has been spent with the laptop, sorting out the Charles Roberts in preparation for my visit to the NRM in a couple of weeks.  Radio 3 has been listened to, supper was fried parsnip chips and a glass of port (or two) will be consumed.

Bill

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Cheers,

Mick

lummy, multiple nuclear war headed teddies at 50 paces....stay calm......I notice that Mike and Rick have tried to contribute but it seems that it is all too difficult for some people.

There seems to be more threads going around in circles at the moment (perhaps doing so with the help of some contributors).

Off for some Port (or Madeira)!

Baz

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

It's handbags at dawn on the class 800 thread. Makes a change from the ones about narrow gauge track.

Jamie

I have just injected a couple of bits of commonsense (well I think it is) into that murky pond although they might well cause some ripples (bow waves) as they drop into the water.  Funny isn't how you do a job for a decade or more and some bloke who has no experience of it whatsoever seems to think he knows absolutely everything about it - ah well takes all sorts.  And my parting shot puts the whole bloomin' lot of 'em in their pace - s*d their fancy new-fangled diesel thingies, not as good as a proper job Swindon engine

• Like 8