The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

No modelling achieved to day. I did however start to deal with the mountain of model railway magazines.

So far a small percentage have been gone through, articles that interest me or have techniques removed and then scanned. It's amazing how quickly the pile shrinks.

A bit of modelling tonight while listening to more music.

Back later

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Bins out for collection tomorrow, two days later than usual in our case.  Chiropractor has been visited for attention to my neck which has been suffering from being 'slept with' - still aching somewhat but at least the pain of ois 'treatment' and the resultant cracking noise seems to have been worth the walk to get there, time will tell and I'll be back to see his colleague anyway next week.

This evening's dinner was chicken pie - very nice use of leftovers I think; maybe I should have some trifle now?

• Like 19

Evenin' all....we had three seperate deliveries here today, two of which were only ordered yesterday so the 'Amazon meltdown' I've been reading about elsewhere clearly hasn't come to pass. A jolly big thumbs up to the lads and lasses out there in the ice and slush in their vans laden with goodies - with a whole heap of rubbish on the TV I shall be watching another Italian 'Giallo' or two from the '70s instead on dvd.

Ciao, what!

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Aditi quite liked the Flybe size (smaller than other airlines) cabin bag I bought for our trip to Ireland and suggested I took advantage of the online sales. However it was about £20 more expensive than when I purchased one in late October. However the manufacturers website had the one we wanted at about the same price with free delivery. Tracking reveals it is in Düsseldorf.

Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium

House now returned to normal. Christmas thank you notes written.

It would appear that we are going to see a bit of snow in the morning so a planned trip to Warley MRC has been cancelled. 

I have noticed that the temperature has dropped to the point that my rusty orange car is now white. No problem with that as I don't have to go out until tomorrow anyway.

Enjoy the rest of the day everyone.

Baz

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Evening.

Thoughts go out to Debs, Rick, Simon, John...and anyone else in need of support.

Stock taking tomorrow, so I might need some too!

GDB I was looking at the Birdcage coaches today, and struggled to describe the colour to a customer on the phone! Browny dark plummy sort of thing...nice lining though!

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Our bins are two days late this week and next week and a day late the week after and then the usual Thursday collection. The local council usually sends round a flyer giving the collection days in November which for the first time in who knows how many years I have not lost it by the time C*******s arrives. As usual the stores are clearing some of the Christmas stock and I spotted in Tesco's 50 LED lights for £3 complete with batteries, I might purchase some for model use.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

The temperature. Dropped tremendously at sunset, the boiler has been working hard ever since...

Our bins are normally due at the end of the week, and there is no notification of a change, however if they do turn up it will be a miracle.

The battle with the SSD appears to be complete, fingers crossed, toes crossed, and after all those hours eyes crossed.

• Like 18

If you want to see plod back on the beat.......do away with national crime recording standards, I thought I'd heard it all when it came to investigating the theft of a bucket of water.........but no.....that was 12 years ago, it's gotten a lot, lot worse since then.

Ohh and the theft of the water......4 statements, an arrest, an interview under caution ( with a solicitor present) file prep, admin,photographs, fingerprints, DNA etc etc etc....... submission to the CPS etc

I think it was about 2 days work.

• RMweb Premium

Evening everyone

Woke up to sound of very heavy rain hitting the windows, only to find that it was in fact hail, butthankfully there was no frost or ice. But, by the sight that greeted me when I looked out of the kitchen window a short while later, there had been quite a lot of it though!

Straight after breakfast I gathered all the bits I’d packed yesterday and set off to Vickie’s house so that I could fix the buildings onto Max’s train layout. On the way there I dropped Sheila off near one of the local coffee establishments, where she was meeting up with some of her Zumba friends for a drink. I the carried on to Vickie’s and was greeted by a very excited Max, who watched closely as I went about the task of fixing down all the buildings. In all it took about an hour to complete. Once done I returned home with Ava and Evie, who not only were joining us for dinner, were also partaking in a bit of crafting after dinner. They where each making a picture using coloured buttons, which once finished, they will be framed so that they can put them up,in their bedroom at home.

Once we’d had tea I then put the ins out, they are usually emptied on a Wednesday, but the holidays have created a delay that will take a fortnight to get back in sync.

GDB. Those dark lake birdcage coaches are WELL worth waiting for.

Goodnight all

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

A couple of calls at work - mainly wiring issues.

One customer sent me a diagram of some kit he had that didn't work properly. It had about 10 wires on it, when it only needed three..................

Didn't get quite as much work layout wiring done as the urgent job that was expected to disrupt my days off next week turned up on the doorstep.

I will carry on with it tomorrow morning.

A very pleasant evening at brother's house meeting our niece's future MiL and FiL, or as my brother texted me with the invite "Meet the Fockers...." They seem like nice folk.

Very cold here and possible snow on the commute as we're on the edge of it.

Have a good Friday folks and POE if you can....

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 16

Some false equivalencies there regarding BC comparisons like comparing a very cold Vancouver day versus a relatively warm Moscow day in December. Given the choice I know which of those two cities is more livable in Winter.

Vancouver is the most northerly of the three largest metropolitan areas in Canada (by population).  Calgary, Edmonton, and Winnipeg are further north but somewhat smaller.  You have to be made of stern stuff to live in any of those cities.

I'm glad that here in the Northwest, places like Portland* and Vancouver* (despite some recent freezing temperatures) do not see the kind of weather that most of Canada and in particular the southeast shores of the Great Lakes in the Midwestern US have seen over the last couple of days. 

* Portland is currently 7°C, Vancouver is 4°C. It is (seasonably) rainy in both.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

Some false equivalencies there regarding BC comparisons like comparing a very cold Vancouver day versus a relatively warm Moscow day in December. Given the choice I know which of those two cities is more livable in Winter.

I think the point of the article was to look at temperatures on a certain day - yesterday - when Canada is going through a particularly cold spell. I don't think anyone would claim Moscow over a whole winter is more livable than Vancouver BC (or over a whole year, for that matter!)  

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Mooring awl, inner temple here.

A very good night's sleep of almost 8 hours.

Outside from 07:20 has been a lorry, engine roaring away, it's the gas man, yep they are topping up my gas tank. Monthly in the winter, 6 weekly in the summer.

Plans today, garden patrol with Ben the Border Collie when the gas man has gone.

Breakfast, more tops to the layout framing, some more chopping up of the fallen tree.

Later a trip to the MRC.

I can hear the gas hose being wound in, engine revs now down, back in cab lorry leaving 07:40

Time too... Keep Ben happy.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Morning All

Not snowy here, but chilly, and the precipitaton is of the liquid variety at present.  Radio traffic reports are saying all the usual suspects are closed by snow - how odd. 

Supportive thoughts are of course sent to the ailing and distressed as are greetings to the celebrating.

Waiting for a phone call this morning from the emergency dentist as I lost part of a filling yesterday.  They are booking on a day to day basis and getting a dentist and nurse in to cover the number of patients. 

May be AWOL for a few days due to urgent personal matter.

Regards to All

Stewart