The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Best wishes to everybody ailing. Just spoken to our son and family in New Zealand and it's windy and raining there, just like here. Granddaughter had been playing in the sea which is more than I ever managed on Christmas Day. No BBQ dinner outdoors for them this year it was indoors at a friend's house, nevertheless DiL is ill with what sounds like food poisoning. Just like a normal Christmas really. They are thirteen hours in front during our winter, eleven hours in our summer. Pressies opened here and fourteen pairs of socks, four jumpers, and two musical biscuit tins. How well they know me. Hope Santa brought you what you wanted.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

A happy Christmas morning from Estuary-Land. I bought a stollen cake about six weeks ago but I only started on it Saturday evening and half of it seems to have gone already. :scratchhead:  Only a light lunch as Christmas dinner will not be consumed until this evening, most of it is ready to go and despite small portions of things such as potatoes it looks as if I will have to use one of the larger dinner plates. Best wishes to Debs and her parents and all others who are afflicted and also those who are called on duty today.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Later morning Awl,

Ben has had his Christmas dinner, ie his normal dinner with turkey juices on it.

We've made all our duty Phone calls, SWMBO'S nephew who is Thai, is In New Zealand for his airline pilots licence, he went out to buy something for breakfast.... But of course nothing is open... he's got one pot noodle.....So his step Dad, SWMBO'S brother, has sent him a photo of his mother's big Christmas breakfast fry up...

My news is not so good, Dad is in hospital being unable to breath, this morning they've moved him from the assessment ward to another ward...he thought he was coming home. Mum is now cooking dinner for herself, before one of my niece's takes her over to the hospital this afternoon. Mum refused to go over to either of my sister's in case of phone calls, my sister's will go over later, once they've sorted their own hoards...

SWMBO is busy extracting all the pre-prepared food out of the freezer, then we'll take Ben down to the beach for his main run around. The main meal will be about 15:00.

Edited by TheQ

• RMweb Premium

Prezzies now all opened and an insufficiency of the train shaped boxes this year - but then I knew that.  Also for once, no Flying Sc*&sman mugs or other related carp.  Only a copy of the late John Proctor's excellent photo album "A Lifetime in Steam" which has a lot of previously unpublished and pretty good photos, including a few of the Fowler 2Ps which were so common on the GSW branches until the all succumbed in 1961 around Kilmarnock.   The other was a friend of 30747 who gave me a steam calendar, which has a very interesting connection, as the picture of a Jubilee on the S&C for March was taken by her husband.

Lily will, of course, get plenty of walks today, and we'll be departing soon round past Geoff's to do a circuit of the block, with me attired in my BAH HUMBUG sweater (again).

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Walked a few miles around Central Glasgow taking photos of old pubs some look very closed down but now in the one we were heading to and is open lunchtime.

Doesn't look much on the outside but is a gem on the inside for formica bar tops and friendly locals and staff. First beer on the House aswell

post-1557-0-74900300-1514203397_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-92482900-1514203557_thumb.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 17

I would agree that the hill start is almost a forgotten art these days. I was behind a henwoble the other day in a queue to get off the motorway on a rising gradient, not very steep. Every time she started she rolled back at least 2 feet. I kept well back.

We were taught not to come down through the gears for the reasons set out above, that brakes are designed to be replaced cheaply and easily (in theory) but gearboxes aren't. We were taught to use the brakes and then engage the appropriate gear for the speed and conditions (or words to that effect. Our instructor did tell us (this was 1974) that the civvy driving test judged the ability to come down through the gears as a plus point. The Police examiners though marked you down for doing so. The tricky change was always 5th to 3rd.

Jamie

I was taught to select the vorrect gear for the speed - totally rules out engine braking!

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Season's Greetings for whatever you celebrate today.

Nothing spectacular for the main meal this evening; Martyn won't eat poultry so has a large pizza. Mrs mole is coming round about now and I'll be doing chicken portions with rice and veg (sprouts for her). I have some beers for later.

Healing thoughts for Debs and her father and to other unwell ERs.

Have a good day,

Pete

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Another news update,

Ben the Border Collie enjoyed his run round the beach, he Met Lots of doggy visitors from all round the country. On the way back he decided to go for a paddle to cool off. This was an old pond, luckily it was re-excavated this year so it's clean rainwater at the moment, not full of rotting ex life...he is banned from the furniture until he dries off though...

SWMBO has just entered the kitchen to go into battle....

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Aternoon all,

The household appears to have recovered from yesterday evening's champagne fuelled visit to the next door neighbours, kitchen type things are well underway, and presents have been opened - no socks for me, hooray (4 railway books and a couple of Toads instead plus something else I will reveal once I've taken a pic of it).

Usual mid - late afternoon Christmas meal here and, of course no turkey - chicken and pork instead plus all the usual veg however I hear from the kitchen that something in a brand new non-stick tin has 'stuck'.

Enjoy the rest of your day and positive vibes once again to Debs and her parents.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

I was taught to select the vorrect gear for the speed - totally rules out engine braking!

I was taught the same thing, but so as to make effective use of engine braking. Such as descending a steep hill always select the same gear as you would use to climb the hill and then lift your foot off the accelerator at the top of the hill. An added bonus is by using engine braking effectively makes a marked improvement to your fuel consumption.

• Like 5

..... An added bonus is by using engine braking effectively makes a marked improvement to your fuel consumption.

I did try it on the diesel Bora, but this didn't appear to make much if any difference to the indicated average fuel consumption. All that happened was that the engine revs went up.

• Like 3