The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Good day ladies and gents.

For most of us it is Christmas Eve; for our antipodean friends it is almost Christmas morning and Santa has been sighted over the Great Southern Lands.

Finally all is ready here.  The last shopping trip has been completed.  The cards are written and (for those which require it) posted and the bags are packed for tomorrow's family visit.  A good many friends around the world have commented that for some intangible reason this year it just doesn't feel like Christmas.  So it isn't just me.  Though I do feel a little more in the mood having been out earlier and wished random strangers a Merry Christmas in my travels through railway stations, shops and life in general.  Someone asked how many shopping days until Christmas to which my reply was "365 online" which I guess is something of an indication as to societal shift.  

I'm now off to enjoy a sherry and mince-pie afternoon "tea" which will be followed by a posting of electronic greetings to all who share my Facebook friendship.  Another societal shift and a huge knock for traditional card sales though postmen might be relieved at a lighter seasonal burden.  We have very few cards this year but a considerable number of electronic messages.  

I received a surprise bonus from my employer earlier who now does not require my services again until 2nd January giving me a much longer break than I had expected and all fully paid.

As we are away tomorrow this will be my final post for a couple of days.  May I therefore take this time to wish all ERs, their families and friends the best of Christmas tidings, however you celebrate and what ever your belief or tradition, and with very special thoughts going to Simon and family and with Debs.  Thank you for all your support and friendship through what has been a year of tremendous upheaval and change, loss of family and friends and in no small way coming to accept a much-reduced amount of living space in our new circumstances which has meant a temporary cessation, on my part, of most of the activities for which this website is famed.

MERRY CHRISTMAS

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium

It may not even be necessary to wait until the subsequent decade. Some start younger.

Oh, yes, indeed! Which again makes me wonder... Was it really that long ago that I was so tiny?

Edited by NGT6 1315
  • Like 13

Merry Christmas to all ERs and their families, please insert any alternate greetings that are appropriate for your personal "persuasion"...

Christmas Eve....................... aaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :jester:

Yesterday went pretty well, some flying some modeling (mostly arranging the G-Gauge under the tree) and some shopping and walking Whitney - full but enjoyable.

Today, should be RELAXING, RIGHT?? We're racing around like the proverbial chickens/no heads as we have 8-12 people coming over after the evening service. We always attend - I'm usually singing in the choir but due to the travelling this year haven't managed the appropriate rehearsals - traditionally family and several friends come over after the service after we grab a Chinese take-out.

Mrs determined THIS AM that the house isn't clean enough, hence the chickens without heads scenario, also apparently "WE" forgot to get a few provisions for tomorrow, so we have to brave the grocery store soon, for a last minute stock up  :O   :O

I won a MILLION QUID this morning, the Mrs insisted the area code for Jemmas cell phone was 612 and complained the phone said it was out of order - it's ALWAYS been 952 and that's for about 10 years or more!!!! She was so confident that when I said "I bet you a million quid its 952" she took me up on it! So, how do I collect  :sarcastichand:  :bb:

-9 this AM, predicted high -6 and we've some light snow falling, no accumulation expected, but that's what "they" always say!

Precipitous DROP tomorrow with the high only expected to be -19 and lows the next two days in the mid -20s  - check this box for those that think it's chilly somewhere....

Have a great holiday, whatever/however you celebrate it, and enjoy your families and friends :friends:

• Like 19

Not a lot going on in the city indeed. Good thing about Christmas is that some passengers give you chocolates even! I’m sure Ivan will approve... :jester:

This being Germany, it's probably better quality chocolate than the additive-laden chocolate flavoured vegetable fat sold over here.

Thank God for 90% cocoa solids.

• Like 2

Evening all. Sorry to hear of Debs and her Dad's health problems. I also wish them both all the best and an improvement in their health soon.

Christmas Eve has been busy, but not rushed. Unlike many fellow ER's, I managed to avoid a trip to the local supermarket. The morning paper and emergency sellotape rolls were acquired from our local corner shop. Sarah did have to venture over and told me that she needed to go there alone. She returned to tell me that it was as horrible as we expected.

After lunch Amber and I visited my parents in order to drop off some gifts whilst Sarah finished wrapping Amber's presents. Dad had a look at my troublesome car and found the radiator water bottle was empty. This may be the cause of the constant operation of the cooling fan. The bottle has been topped up and, I hope, that will see me through the next few days until I collect the new one.

Some modelling was managed on my return home whilst Sarah and Amber undertook their "secret" preparations downstairs. Modelling progress can be viewed via my Gairloch blog.

Just the Santa role to play now so just in case I do not get a chance to check in again I would like to wish you all a very Merry Christmas.

Seasons Greetings

Andy

Edited by andyram
  • Like 18

• RMweb Gold

The table centrepiece was delivered yesterday and is a gift from a friend she made on the 'net - so herself emailed Calgary to offer a thank you and commiserations on the weather only to hear back that said friend and her children are busy sunning themselves down Mexico way.

I have cousins who live in Calgary but always go down Mexico way at this time of year.

Can't say that I blame them.

Edited by BoD
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Sad to hear about Debs and her dads health problems, wishing you all the best and get well soon. I done even better in the mince pie stakes than Roundhouse, a dozen for 55p marked down from £5. They had no sell by date, a printing error but the girl doing the down pricing informed me that they came from a case marked sell by 02/01/2018. There were several packets off them with no sell by date but they soon disappeared needless to say. I have assembled the components of Christmas dinner ready for tomorrow but no Yorkshire puds or Brussel sprouts, not that I don't like either but theres more than enough of the other items to consume. It only now remains for me to wish you all

A MERRY CHRISTMAS.

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

I have cousins who live in Calgary but always go down Mexico way at this time of year.

When Matthew spent a year in Calgary he went skiing (never again he says!) In British Columbia for Christmas. He got norovirus.

Tony

Calgary Christmas weather is always a crap shoot. I've had -41c in 1977. I've also had +19c in 1981. Younger brother is off to California tomorrow am. I do miss snow and the mountains this time of year.

On that Note a Merry Christmas to all, and too all a good night.

Best wishes to Simon & Debs.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Just signed in again after a hectic and enjoyable day and gutted to hear that now Debs and her Dad are unwell. Why is it that cr#p happens to nice people? My best wishes go to them and also Simon and anyone else who is either unwell at present or has anyone close ill and suffering.

I almost feel guilty to report that we've been having a great time. Super meal of wild salmon enjoyed earlier cooked by Steve who was assisted by The Boss. I poured the wine.  :yes:  

We don't buy mince pies as those made by Chris are IMHO much better, as are her sausage rolls. I checked them out earlier and they are definitely fit for human GDB consumption.  Now just trying to find somewhere to hide them away from everyone else!

Time for a quick nightcap and then bed.

Night all.

• Like 16