The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

I've driven automatics for the past 16 years but I don't sit with my foot on the brake pedal at traffic lights at night. I put in neutral and use the handbrake. 

Perhaps I'm unusual or weird or something.

You said it. :)

And that's apart from being a regular on this forum :)

I've driven automatics for the past 16 years but I don't sit with my foot on the brake pedal at traffic lights at night. I put in neutral and use the handbrake. 

I use "P" rather than "N". I was told ZF automatics don't take too kindly to frequent shift lever changes, but I never had a problem on the ZF 4HP22 (BMW), and the even older 3HP22 (Citroen) seems similarly robust.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks again to all the wonderfully supportive people on this forum. To repeat my words earlier this week, I do appreciate your thoughts. As soon as I told my mother that I had some bad news, she knew exactly what was coming. We then just sat alone talking for quite a while before joining the rest of the family. The decision that my younger brother and I made earlier not to tell her before she set out on the train to get here turned out to be absolutely the correct one, as she really wanted to be with family after the news.

On a much lighter note, my younger son had his hair cut by his girlfriend yesterday using some newly bought clippers. The result is that he is very shorn, and is coming to terms with it. As a result, my elder son and I have gift wrapped about 4 old hats and caps for him to open at Christmas. We think that we will enjoy the joke!

A sorry time and deepest sympathy Simon but I'm glad you were able to give her the sad news after she had arrived among the family - that alone must have been some comfort to her, and to you having to tell her about your sad loss; deepest condolences to you all.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That is or was the correct way to use an automatic. Holding an automatic in gear with the footbrake causes excessive wear of the gearbox bands. I say was because modern autoboxes do not use bands. On a manual gearbox the handbrake should always be used when waiting in traffic as its more positive than the footbrake (your foot can easily slip off the brake pedal).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Last minute shopping done - you would never believe I forgot the icing sugar!!!

Cake duly iced, presents wrapped, and Youngest has put the tree up and switched it on (fibre optic).

But now time to bid you all ' Night and nos da.

Edited by southern42
  • Like 13

A retro evening of listening to Blue Oyster Cult, Fleetwood Mac, Boston, Rush, Kansas, Toto, Golden Earing and a few others while modelling.

Tomorrow sees me making more cinnamon biscuits as for some reason they've disappeared :jester:  along with some more modelling. I could get used to this.

Night all

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Thoughts with SImon and his family.

Never good to lose anyone at this time of year.

Hockey watched earlier - a long drawn out 2-0  win against Nottinghan Lions. To their credit, the Lions defended hard and well and the Most Valuable Player, otherwise known as man of the match (for the Lions) should have gone to their netminder.. He faced 51 shots and stopped 49 of them. Even our fans were complaining at the choice of Nottingham's captain as the MVP.

As it's now the eve of the big day, on behalf of the NB housheold - have a good one.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 14

Afternoon one and all..... :drink_mini:

Hope everyone is in fine fettle.

Thought you may be interested in these well meant tips for your good ladies.....

I'll chat them through with Mrs S over dinner tonight.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2017-12-23 at 15.53.57.png

If your next post comes from the local hospital we will know why! :onthequiet:

No comment :stinker:

That is or was the correct way to use an automatic. Holding an automatic in gear with the footbrake causes excessive wear of the gearbox bands. I say was because modern autoboxes do not use bands. On a manual gearbox the handbrake should always be used when waiting in traffic as its more positive than the footbrake (your foot can easily slip off the brake pedal).

"Conventional" automatics (they are still made in huge numbers) have epicyclic gear trains with brake-bands. The bands slip briefly during gear changes but they are not slipping when you are sitting at the lights with your foot on the brake. The only thing that's slipping is the fluid torque converter. That generates a small amount of heat in the fluid, but no wear. You might use a little less fuel if you put it in neutral or park, but I don't think you will reduce the wear on anything. If you are worried about your foot slipping off the brake, leave it in drive and set the handbrake.

There are also "automated" transmissions like the one in our recently departed VW (the buy-back amount was too hard to resist.)  It's more like a manual transmission that's controlled electronically. They have at least one clutch and no fluid torque converter. Again, the best thing to do is keep your foot on the brake, or set the handbrake if you prefer, but leave the transmission in drive. The control system sorts it out for you.

I don't think it's very common in the UK, but around here some people (usually older members of the community driving massive Cadillacs) drive their automatics with both feet on the pedals! You can tell because their brake-lights keep flashing off and on. I've tried using my left foot on the brake pedal but I found it almost impossible to modulate the pressure properly.

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, inner temple here.

Been awake since about 03:00, left elbow, right shoulder, plus lower back in pain. Caused by mixing concrete by hand. So I've just finally remembered to order the broken switch on the concrete mixer. With the ease I found it, I suspect they are not reliable.

Ben the Border Collie is not wanting out at the moment,... He's snoring...

There is a reporter standing at Paddington railway station, in a famous spot, for behind him is the glassed in arch which had the sign for the railways square deal campaign of 1938/39.

He doing a piece about Paddington's closure for crossrail and all the other rail closures.

It's gusting 37mph out there at the moment, and Tuesday is forecast to be stronger and 5 C cooler, typical it's our traditional boxing day sailing event.

Plans for today,...car adjust the cars fan belts, fit internal lights to the landrover

In the meantime

Time to.... Try a little more sleep...

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a village that is now ice and bright but a little breezy. Two shopping expeditions yesterday got most of the last minute items before we entertain13 or 14 tomorrow. Various items are defrosting and I have been told to be ready to collect various things like extra plates and chairs from church this afternoon. Last night I also managed to wrap up presents for the boss as she was out with 2 friends from Weightwatchers having yet another Christmas meal. The experiential learning cycle has obviously not kicked in yet but who am I, as a mere male, to comment.

Off shortly to drop a wheelchair off at a friend's whose wife has broken 3 bones in her leg and has just been discharged from hospital after 3 operations. Fortunately we don't need the chair at the moment. Then church this morning. The afternoon will probably be spent re arranging furniture so that it doesn't need to be done in the morning. I hope however to be able to spend a bit of time reading railway related magazines and even some muddling.

Thoughts are with Simon and all the others who are in need of support at this time.

Jamie

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Lummy, who forgot the port? Moi, so I will be off soon to buy a bottle or two.

We expect youngest Herbert to arrive later for tea then he has decided we are off down the pub. He survived black eye Friday.. can we survive Christmas Evening?

Our bin men have just been. They seem happy enough but they did want to know if there will be whelks for tea smiffy?

Have as good a time as you can here on Planet Earth today.

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. I've decided to spend Christmas at home which means getting the neccessary out of the freezer and part cooking the (green) vegetables so I just have to put them in the microwave. The root veg will be roasted in the dry fryer which is in fact a small fan oven. I'm not a great fan of turkey so Christmas dinner will be a piece of salmon, wild not farmed, and easier to cook. There's still one or two small items to get so I might still brave the Christmas eve cock/henwombles or I might give them a miss. Bye for now, might be back later.

• RMweb Premium

Funnily enough when I went to get my own locks thinned out the other day there was quite a queue for the two hair-reduction operatives.

One operative went through 2 customers whilst the other spent an age cutting the hair of her own customer.

The strange thing was that his hair was being reduced to a length where it was barely more than a stain on his scalp.

Why did it take so long to cut the hair when taking a grade 0 razor to it should have had the job done in a matter of 2 minutes?  :scratchhead:

• Like 3

Morning all. For a change I slept far too well.

The first batch of biscuits have been done but I suspect another will be done later.

A relaxing day of modelling and general pottering around is planned.

Time for another coffee.

Have a good day everyone.

• Like 17