The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

The rise of brakelights at traffic lights is entirely coincidental with the rise in the number of automatic gearboxes. Automatics promote a different driving style.

Also the preponderance of "hill start assist" makes people lazy with the handbrake. I turned it off in my learner cars.

Engine braking is far less relied upon as the original idea was to protect your brakes from excessive use/overheating/brake fade. Especially with drum brakes. But brakes are far better and cheaper to replace than clutches/gearboxes as well, so most braking is done with the right foot.

I too was taught engine braking, but "had" to primarily teach foot braking. My teaching philosophy is was a mixture of the two.

One disadvantage with engine braking is that there is no way of telling the tailgater that you're slowing down. Especially when you lift the clutch dropping from second to first gear whilst doing about 20mph as my learners tried to do........

Cheers,

Mick

I would agree that the hill start is almost a forgotten art these days. I was behind a henwoble the other day in a queue to get off the motorway on a rising gradient, not very steep. Every time she started she rolled back at least 2 feet. I kept well back.

We were taught not to come down through the gears for the reasons set out above, that brakes are designed to be replaced cheaply and easily (in theory) but gearboxes aren't. We were taught to use the brakes and then engage the appropriate gear for the speed and conditions (or words to that effect. Our instructor did tell us (this was 1974) that the civvy driving test judged the ability to come down through the gears as a plus point. The Police examiners though marked you down for doing so. The tricky change was always 5th to 3rd.

Jamie

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

One advantage of engine braking on a modern fuel injected car is the engine revs are higher than those demanded by the accelerator pedal, so the fuel supply to the engine is just about cut off. Saving fuel.,

Whereas the old carburetors, used more, as against coasting to a stop de-clutched.

So if I'm in the car I use engine braking, not touching the clutch so no clutch wear, saving fuel just using brakes to stop at the end.

If I'm in the landrover, with old-fashioned mechanical fuel injection, I de-clutch and coast to a stop using brakes to control the vehicle. Saving fuel.

• Like 3

This week has just got a whole lot worse. After me being told I will be starting chemo in January, my younger brother phoned today to say that our elder brother passed away last night. It was pretty much expected, but is still devastating news. To make matters worse, our mother who is 89, is currently on a train to Penrith, where she will be met by my youngest son and brought to us for Christmas. We decided before she set out on her journey not to tell her the news, so it is down to me to tell her when she arrives. I am not looking forward to it.

I had hoped to travel out to Texas, which is where my brother lived, but my own condition had prevented that, so I wasn’t able to see him in his last weeks. I did manage to talk to him a few times on FaceTime, but I had always hoped to be able to see him properly again.

This week has just got a whole lot worse. After me being told I will be starting chemo in January, my younger brother phoned today to say that our elder brother passed away last night. It was pretty much expected, but is still devastating news. To make matters worse, our mother who is 89, is currently on a train to Penrith, where she will be met by my youngest son and brought to us for Christmas. We decided before she set out on her journey not to tell her the news, so it is down to me to tell her when she arrives. I am not looking forward to it.

I had hoped to travel out to Texas, which is where my brother lived, but my own condition had prevented that, so I wasn’t able to see him in his last weeks. I did manage to talk to him a few times on FaceTime, but I had always hoped to be able to see him properly again.

Terrible news. Chin up and I'm sure you'll find the right words for your mother. Deepest sympathies.

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon one and all..... :drink_mini:

Hope everyone is in fine fettle.

Thought you may be interested in these well meant tips for your good ladies.....

I'll chat them through with Mrs S over dinner tonight.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2017-12-23 at 15.53.57.png

We have missed you here Gordon and I have a distinct feeling that should you talk through that lot with Mrs S over dinner tonight it may well not only be your last dinner but the last time we're likely to hear from you for rather a long time.  :jester:

• RMweb Premium

Simon, just hope that 2018 is a much better year for you (and others). Not the best thing to have to discuss with your mother at Christmas.

Positive thoughts to you and your family.

Baz

• RMweb Premium

We have missed you here Gordon and I have a distinct feeling that should you talk through that lot with Mrs S over dinner tonight it may well not only be your last dinner but the last time we're likely to hear from you for rather a long time.  :jester:

Mrs G was rather unimpressed when I read out a heavily redacted version.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

Very sorry to hear that Simon.  There is never a good time but right now must be about the worst.  All I can offer is our sympathies and a decent shoulder to lean on which both seem a bit inadequate somehow.

Ian Abel, if you want a real challenge try building a Parkside Grampus....I had forgotten how bad it was.

Baz et al, you mean this thing, right??

post-20244-0-31399600-1514055440_thumb.jpg

I almost lost the bl!!dy will to live getting it this far, that's why it's not been painted or had couplers installed yet :butcher:  :rtfm:

It was a miserably excuse for a "kit"...

Morning all, barely ;)

Lovely evening with friends doing a Christmas light tour followed by picking up a very excellent Indian meal to-go and enjoying it with some wine at their place. We then started some eggnog sampling with assorted spirits, the Mrs is now regretting the amount of sampling she personally managed :(

Quiet day today, more flying and modeling - managed to get the Schools partially run-in yesterday, now continuing on the track, a lovely model.

Jemma "should" be back this evening, though it may be rather late (10 - 11PM) so will probably stay with us overnight rather than pick up Whitney and get in even later, not heard yet, but her first flight was only 40 minutes late and second on back to Seattle showing on-time.

An exhilarating -11 this morning but sunny, so the high is expected to manage -6.

Have a good Saturday all.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Baz et al, you mean this thing, right??

attachicon.gifGrampus-1.jpg

I almost lost the bl!!dy will to live getting it this far, that's why it's not been painted or had couplers installed yet :butcher:  :rtfm:

It was a miserably excuse for a "kit"...

Morning all, barely ;)

Lovely evening with friends doing a Christmas light tour followed by picking up a very excellent Indian meal to-go and enjoying it with some wine at their place. We then started some eggnog sampling with assorted spirits, the Mrs is now regretting the amount of sampling she personally managed :(

Quiet day today, more flying and modeling - managed to get the Schools partially run-in yesterday, now continuing on the track, a lovely model.

Jemma "should" be back this evening, though it may be rather late (10 - 11PM) so will probably stay with us overnight rather than pick up Whitney and get in even later, not heard yet, but her first flight was only 40 minutes late and second on back to Seattle showing on-time.

An exhilarating -11 this morning but sunny, so the high is expected to manage -6.

Have a good Saturday all.

No that is a BR plate wagon..that is easy peasy.. Don't give up on it Ian.. but, in reality, you need to get some Lamprey  http://www.slimrails.co.uk/index00gauge.html  a very nice kit for a SR prototype.

Just to add a happy note - the Peco 0-16.5 coach kit is a (simple) joy!

Yes, I have a few of those....do you need a layout to go with them???

In their defence most Parkside kits are interesting to build and you end up with a nice wagon

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 7

Simon, I'm so sorry to hear this sad news. Please consider your family is in our thoughts especially given the timing of such an event.

Here's hoping your mum can celebrate the joyful parts of his life.

• RMweb Gold

My pet hate is the womble who sits at the traffic lights with his foot on the brake pedal at night blinding anyone unfortunate enough to be behind. It seems that more and more "drivers"are doing this. Do cars not have handbrakes anymore? :ireful:

Automatic transmission!

Thanks again to all the wonderfully supportive people on this forum. To repeat my words earlier this week, I do appreciate your thoughts. As soon as I told my mother that I had some bad news, she knew exactly what was coming. We then just sat alone talking for quite a while before joining the rest of the family. The decision that my younger brother and I made earlier not to tell her before she set out on the train to get here turned out to be absolutely the correct one, as she really wanted to be with family after the news.

On a much lighter note, my younger son had his hair cut by his girlfriend yesterday using some newly bought clippers. The result is that he is very shorn, and is coming to terms with it. As a result, my elder son and I have gift wrapped about 4 old hats and caps for him to open at Christmas. We think that we will enjoy the joke!