The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

My old school (in southern England) called them "Spam Fritters"................"Spam, Spam, Spam. Wondeful Spaaaaaammmmmm".

Best, Pete.

That's what they were called at my old school (in the Midlands, in the 1960s) When I went to school in Somerset all the food had to travel out from a kitchen somewhere else, so school meals were mainly stew, stew and stew.

• RMweb Gold

When I went to school in Somerset all the food had to travel out from a kitchen somewhere else, so school meals were mainly stew, stew and stew.

We had the 'central' kitchen too, although with a bit more choice. We got luke warm stew, slightly tepid stew or cold stew.

Don't forget the lumpy potato that went with it.

Only once had battered spam, lunch on a Scout camp, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

more commonly called "bully beef" here.

36C forecast for today and NO wnd. it's going to be another stinker.

Off to search for new pictures of developments on Wittering.

Have a good day everyone.

Morning All,

Another rather cold one here. -3°C and with slightly slippery roads. I had an interesting (and slightly eerie) experience this morning. Having set off to work at my usual time, I realised (just as I was joining the motorway) that I had forgotten my pass card - stupidly, and for the first time in five years. I drove up to the next motorway exit and rejoined going in the other direction to return home for my card.

Having been resigned to being a little later, the thought flashed through my mind "Oh well - perhaps that was meant to be, and I have avoided a nasty car accident or something".

Then, just before reaching work on a large crossroads, I come across a scene of chaos - three smashed cars, people wandering about in the road, lumps of smashed bodywork and glass all over the place. My colleague who reached work twenty minutes before me reported that it had just happened when he drove through - right about the time I would have been passing were it not for my detour.

Likely as not coincidence - but it does make you think :O

When I went to school in Somerset all the food had to travel out from a kitchen somewhere else, so school meals were mainly stew, stew and stew.

At my school, the food was cooked on the premises and it was still stew, stew and stew.

Bleeeugh! The worst thing was when it was baked beans - and you saw the left over beans in the next days stew.

I never liked baked beans - but you had to have something of everything, and you had to eat everything on the plate. I can still remember trying to choke down baked beans without throwing up. I can't see that happening today! :rolleyes:

Have a good day everyone...

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Cold and dry here this morning.

My car is being collected sometime this morning to taken off to Chelmsford for its service.

It is very quiet here, my wife has gone off to work, Robbie has gone back to sleep and Matthew hasn't appeared yet.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Morning all...

I seem to be in need of more additional sleep than I thought as I got up only shy of nine o'clock, having gone to bed shortly after ten last night :blink: . Wonder if this may have anything to do with the daylight beginning to last longer? Oh well, better be well rested anyway! The downside is that I'll need to get used to getting up quite a bit earlier in time for next week when courses start anew.

Robert – I'm sure something like that would have made me think as well. The only recent experience of mine even remotely similar had been that day when the 7th batch 420 had been on my line – waiting on the platform just a few minutes prior to the train's arrival, I had just been thinking about how I wouldn't mind having these sets on my line for a change...which was just what had happened that day!

Have a good day all!

• RMweb Premium

Morning All

Watching the weather forecasts with some trepidation, as tomorrow is the day that I need to get up to Scotland.

Other than that, waiting for the washing machine engineer, who is due "AM" today.

Won't be online tomorrow, or possibly Friday.

Regards to All

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

Morning All, It's a bit difficult to tell the difference these days but I have a days vacation today. Still have 27 days of vacation allowance to fit into 12 weeks. It's a tough problem but someone has to tackle it.

Have a good one all.

Cheers

Dave

The Romans were right. The Scots are a barbaric bunch. Imagine beating a poor defenseless tin of Spam then drowing it in boiling oil. :P

...and they do it to poor, defenceless, Mars Bars too! Mind you they were ones to talk about Barbarians - when they put sharpened stakes along the sides of their roads at a height where it penetrated a person standing on tiptoe, and then placed their enemies on them - and let us not talk about crucifixion in its several forms!

36C forecast for today and NO wnd. it's going to be another stinker.

Have a good day everyone.

Humid? Our range in New Jersey typically goes from 106f (41C) to 0f (-18C). The humidity is stifling in July but it drops off a bit when you get over 100f. I much prefer that to the cold.

A couple of years back I flew to Phoenix and outside the "Skyport" it was 116f (47C) - and that was hot! They kept saying it was a dry heat but at those kind of levels it really doesn't matter......within 90 minutes I was "up the hill" (7,000 feet elev compared to Phoenix at 1,100 feet elev) ) at Flagstaff which was in the mid-80's (29C) and lovely!

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

My old school (in southern England) called them "Spam Fritters

I see some comments about these being something endemic to Scotland, but I have not seem many there - the first time I tasted one in a chip shop was in Surrey, and I really liked it. Interestingly, I am doubtful that many of these offered in chip shops are actually Spam, which is a quite expensive branded product, and many so called are actually luncheon meat fritters. The ones in Morrisons are genuine Spam.

• RMweb Premium

I think when Matthew was at infant school one of the lunch options was a battered burger.

Now that is something that I did (and still do) see in chip shops up and down the UK - quality of the burger is not guaranteed.

• RMweb Gold

Another Scottish chip shop "delicacy" is deep fried pizza. Eek.

I've had pizza slices from snack bars in Florence that were oozing with olive oil. Messy but very tasty!

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Hands, arms,T-shirt!

Right, that would certainly not have been like it's supposed to be!

GF's staying at home today due to migraine...I wonder if that unusual longing for sleep I've been having both yesterday and the day before may be indicators for an upcoming migraine, too :unsure: .