The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Amber was very pleased with the surprise. Ex GWR tank 5619 was the loco for the day.

Amber was very pleased with the gifts she received from the man in the red suit.

Oh you mean the Barbie present.

I hoped for a moment there you had converted someone to the lifelong delight that is a preoccupation with all things green and copper-topped.  ;)

Looks like a lovely day out for all. I'm more than a wee bit envious.

• Like 11

Oh you mean the Barbie present.

I hoped for a moment there you had converted someone to the lifelong delight that is a preoccupation with all things green and copper-topped.  ;)

Looks like a lovely day out for all. I'm more than a wee bit envious.

Amber is already a devotee of many steam powered rail running machines copper capped or otherwise. She is already helping me to construct my Gairloch layout and is always wanting to help run it. Without doubt we will end up on one of the post Christmas trains at the GCR or Severn Valley whilst Sarah is at a Nottingham Forest game.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Evening everyone

I had a realativley good trip up to Shaw this morning, just 1 or 2 cockwombles to be seen, which only confirms that I’m so glad I no longer have to drive for my living anymore. I managed to get all 3 coaches, 1 of each and the SECR Dark Lake livery looks absolutely stunning, they'll look great behind the Hornby H class in SECR green that I have!

Max’s buildings are all now packaged and wrapped, he’s going to get a big surprise when he opens the box, which I suspect will be tomorrow afternoon when they all come around after dinner.

David. Belated happy birthday.

Goodnight all.

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 17

I cannot understand the logic, a motorist car aimer who drives around on bright sunny days with fog lamps on was this afternoon with visability down to less than 100 yards driving with no lights!

Night awl

edited to make sence

Edited by laurenceb

• RMweb Gold

Mike, when do the shops close?

Many larger grocery stores here operate on abbreviated hours on Christmas day, but they do open in the morning.

Is that option not available to you.

I see that here Tesco are open on Boxing Day, Waitrose aren't according to a poster I saw the other day, and i don't know about Sainsburys local (although their stock is pretty limited anyway).  However we actually had an unopened litre of milk in stock when the other two were delivered so we should be alright until Wednesday (when the milkman is next due) unless we get through an awful lot of tea, which is quite possible of course.  As far as food is concerned we should have no problems - meat to collect tomorrow plus a couple of quiches (as a change from the butcher's excellent pies) and tomorrow is already covered for grub then after Christmas Day there will be various leftovers although we've a smaller chicken this year so it will be interesting to see how many meals that produces via the usual course of cold meat, curry, then the final remains go into soup, we usually get at least 12 meals for humans plus a couple for the cat out of the Christmas chicken.

So apart from any late fresh veg and the meat collection we're stocked up and only need the shops for newspapers if anything.

G'night all.

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Today did not go. My sister messaged about noon that due to the weather they would not be coming. They are 2 hours away (on a good day) on the far side of the biggest city in Canada, with probably the worst traffic per person of any city in North America, with a freezing drizzle forecast.

When we went out for morning coffee, the papers had not arrived at the stores. There were sme by the time coffee finished.

I'm trying to build a Design Preservation Models factory. I just read today a line that there is a draft angle on the parts so that they'll come out of the mould and this has to be filed off. This angle makes the corners have a noticeable crack and no integrity. Ah, well.

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Dry and mild start and should stay that way and there is the chance of some bright spells.

Early up as to Sainsbury's we must go to collect turkey and other fresh stuff.  They open at 7.00 and we hope to be in and out by 8.00.  I suspect many other people will have the same idea.

Tea has been taken to SWIICOCAEE  (She Who Is In Charge of Catering And Everything Else) Even though I was up first apparently I "still need to get a move on."

Bon voyage to Bob 81C and Mrs Bob on their journey to the far flung land of Kernow.  Hope he gets there in time to visit a certain model shop.

I should be back later, possibly with tales of supermarketwombles,

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from the village. I managed to get some last minute shopping done yesterday but I have never seen so many people in Moreeasons who seemed to be in a world of their own. The lights were occasionally on but there was certainly no one at home. Most of them seemed to be just standing in the aisle's with their trolleys as if they were modelling for a Gormley statue. Anyway I managed to get round without pushing any of them over and sanity was restored with a good evening at the club when I actually powered up the panel I'm building and got some LED's working.

The house is till nice and quiet but there is not much on the agenda for today.......Yet. Several magazines have arrived so much reading will be done and enjoyed.

Regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 19

Morning all. Not a brilliant nights sleep which doesn't set me up well for the day.

Today I will be delivering various presents to several members of the family and collecting others along the way. I'm hoping that the cockwombles stay at home until I'm finished.

Time for another coffee.

Have a good day everyone.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, Inner Temple here,

A reasonable, night's sleep was had..

It always amazed me, that there is the great panic buy because, the stores are closed for 1 day, When most people shop weekly anyway.

The are a large amount of cockwombles about up from London in their BMWs, Audis and Range Rovers to their holiday homes here.

Though the worst was a north east registered New type fiat 500. It was doing 25mph on a country lane when I found it, it braked in strange places, to accelerate of rapidly when the road widened to have a white line down the middle. It occasionally indicated to go round bends? I suspect the Christmas spirit had already been imbibed..

During the MRC tea break, a couple of us somehow got onto our schooling. We are just year different in age.( About 60 today).

Because we moved about, I went to two primary schools covering ages 5 to 11 and three secondary schools that covered 12 to 17, ie including A level or Scottish Highers. So that was two levels of schooling. She however, went to infants, junior, secondary and then could have gone to A level collage. 4 levels of schooling.

Her schools did lots of trips out, my primarys went nowhere, the first secondary school did 1 trip a year to a London museum, The other two went nowhere.

A huge disparity in education during the same time period.

Today I'm laying concrete with no fear of frost, just a triangle 15ft long by 3 ft across the base.

Time to ..take Ben the Border Collie, for his morning patrol, in what sounds like windy weather.

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Slightly damp here, Quite warm though.

We didn't go to the cinema as planned yesterday. Matthew wanted to spend the day doing some work for his thesis as he had a couple of days off out in London this week.

Aditi will be assembling food today to take to Enfield tomorrow. I don't have any specific tasks but I am sure some will appear through the day. Of course Robbie will expect a walk.

Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium

A bit grey and overcast here in the North West Leeds Highlands this morning.

I need to do a bit of a repair to some grout in the loft bathroom today otherwise I need to help "tidy up"...pah!

Christmas is not one of my favourite times of the year for various reasons, none of them good. It can be a lonely and troubling time for some people and I know some of our ERs are not having the best of times. So......

Let us all send out strong positive thoughts to all ERs in need of support.

I hope that we hear from our missing ERs over the Christmas break.

Have as good a day as you can.

Baz

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Back home and fully shopped by 7.55. Remarkably womble free and Sainsbury's turkey etc collection point very well organised.

Car is now parked up and with a bit of luck I shouldn't have to drive again until about Wednesday. 

Now waiting for visit from son Steve who should be arriving in a couple of hours to show off his new car which wasn't due until April but he is collecting this morning.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 16

Morning all. Christmas just wouldn't be Christmas without a quick visit to wish you all Happy Holidays and a swift return to your usual waist size after it's all over...

Catching up on ERs after just a couple of days is difficult, so after a couple of years... forget it! Suffice to say, I wish a swift recovery to all those who may be ailing.

Two observations on life before I disappear again...

My stupidity sometimes knows no bounds. I actually thought I'd be clever popping into Tesco just after they opened this morning. "Avoid the rush"... yeah, right Pete. Nowhere to park and trolley rage in every aisle. Witnessed a full-blown row over the last roll of extra long kitchen foil. Good grief - the world has truly gone mad. The sign as I left made me smile though. "We're closed on Boxing Day, but don't worry - our Express stores are open". I had no idea I should be worried. I hope I can get over it and the worry won't spoil my Christmas too much.

My son completed his A levels and did rather better than he had hoped. As we're quitting these shores in 2019 and he wants to come with us for a "gap year", he doesn't want a career just yet and is happy to settle for a "job" in the meantime, no matter how mundane. He was delighted to be offered a job at the local Argos a few months ago. The reality of a 3 month contract that may not be renewed has kicked in and he's not best pleased to be working late on Christmas Eve and again first thing Boxing Day. He complains on a daily basis about the stupidity of the average customer, too. "I need a kettle" says the guy at the till. "Choose the f***ing kettle from the catalogue BEFORE you get to the till" is the reply my son would like to make... Welcome to adulthood, son. It's a rocky road indeed.

Again, Happy Christmas to all.

Pete75C.

Edited by Pete 75C

• RMweb Premium

Morning.

Thought for the day.  'Chance'.

I was browsing last night and found a website that details WW2 bombing raids on my hometown.  Found this:

The crater in Cauldwell Villas was one of the largest ever made in the Borough; shelters were found on the lip, completely covered with lumps of clay, but the occupants were all rescued alive.

My Mother and Grandparents.  1000Kg bomb apparently.  Thankfully we don't seem to be doing this to each other so much now in Europe, but lets hope that certain other countries manage to keep the red buttons on safety in the future. Kim and Trumpy, this means you.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

The only shopping I have left to do is to pick up the meat from the butcher's tomorrow morning and perhaps some fresh buns for what has become a tradition in our family - hot pork, stuffing and apple sauce sandwiches on Christmas Eve. I even jump in the car and take one to mum, who is 86 and still likes to try her teeth out on the crackling whilst it is still hot.

Today I am meeting up with an ex colleague and we are going to the Falcons v Harlequins rugby game. I have decided to use public transport in order to partake of certain liquid refreshments. I may regret one or the other or both of these activities.

May whatever preparations you still have to undertake be relatively stress free.

• Like 19

Shopping yesterday

Pressie Delivery today, which will give us a lot more room in the house.

Wreath to cemetery tomorrow.

That's it.

Apart from another visit to Sainsbury's to pick up what I forgot yesterday, what she didn't tell me about and what she's run out of and didn't tell me about, clearing up to find space for the Christmas Tree that's still in back of the car, cleaning the cooker, finding the dining table and cleaning up.

Relaxing time in the final run up to Christmas.