The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Diesels were slower than the steam services they replaced.

And just a tad rougher as well - bucketing down the South Downs in a late running 6S or 6L with a St Leonards driver on a finishing turn was quite fearsome. Sometimes the power cars felt as if they were running on the sleepers, not on the track.

TV now so bad that Mrs 45156 and I decided to go out for a few hours with the dog, just to get a change of scenery and to stop us going mad.

• RMweb Gold

I've cleaned the cars (I needed to make mine respectable enough for the service later this week) properly this time. I found the pressure washer wasn't as hidden as I thought. We now have a shiny blue and a shiny black car. I then made the blue dirty again driving along the A13 to Pitsea for food from Tesco (which was rather busy).

My BTHomehub stopped working this afternoon. It must have got confused with all the flashing lights. I checked the line was OK with my old Belkin router. The BTHomehub finally responded by being poked with a paperclip (factory reset) and it seems to be working now.

Tony

Tony, I've had a few issues with my homehub this week. Sometimes it would be giving out a wireless signal, but show no signs of the internet, and sometimes the wireless signal disappeared. All ok now though. Wonder if there were some BT related issues in East Anglia?

• RMweb Gold

Tony, I've had a few issues with my homehub this week. Sometimes it would be giving out a wireless signal, but show no signs of the internet, and sometimes the wireless signal disappeared. All ok now though. Wonder if there were some BT related issues in East Anglia?

There were issues on our Benfleet exchange just before Christmas. My Belkin router/adsl modem worked without problem. That logs on to ADSL with my own btinternet ID, the Homehub logs on with some generic ID and verifies my line somehow so perhaps that is the fault? I'm sure it will all be solved after the holiday! We are scheduled for BTs "optical fibre to the green box at the end of the road service" later this Spring.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Morning all...

Frosty again, as Robert said, and foggy, too – no way to see the sun (and eclipse) like that <_< . Think I'll have breakfast now – I pushed that back yesterday and consequently felt bad around noon.

Have a good day all!

Back to work today. Not sure what the next few months will bring. At the moment I'm on the bench and working from home. I had forgotten what a long painful commute it is from the bedroom to the office.:lol: Cat sleeping on the landing meant a minor diversion. I guess you could call that a tailback. <coat at the ready> Oh well, I had best enjoy it while I can. I've got a bad feeling about what ever next client site project they are planning on dropping me into. Likely something that requires week day overnights in some crap hotel, or a 5 hour daily round-trip commute.

In other news I spent several hours sorting through tubs of train stuff over the weekend. Its amazing the crap you find. In this case its a Heljan class 17 that I forgot I had. Turns out its one of the lemons. One gear train is almost seized solid and the other isn't much better. Since I can't even remember where I picked it up, there isn't much chance of getting a replacement chassis for it. (I think it was from some generic box shifter at an exhibition when they first came out) Time permitting I'll strip it down and see what can be done, if anything. At least I also rediscovered a Bachmann prototype Deltic in the same box. I've got a feeling these along with a large percentage of my UK stock will end up on the RMWeb classifieds and/or Ebay.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Total cloud is preventing viewing of partial elcipse.

Back to work today too but not allowed, under any circumstances, to enter new building until 11:45. Ours not to reason why ........

• RMweb Premium

Morning All, Nice cloudy start to the day so no chance of observing any partial eclipse thingies. 137 items in my work e-mail inbox of which 4 were of some value. Even with fairly sophisticated spam filters over 90% of the e-mail I recieve is junk! Looks as though I may have to struggle in to the office today as a colleague is leaving and I have to do lunch.

Have a good one all.

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Dull and overcast here. We are off to Enfield today for lunch and DIY.

Aditi's back to work day is tomorrow but Matthew is at home for another couple of weeks.

Back to work today too but not allowed, under any circumstances, to enter new building until 11:45. Ours not to reason why ......

Paint still wet, bill not paid, local celeb opening building, H&S inspection, the clocks are running on iPhone software,...

Guest Max Stafford

Full complement of leaking Oktas, so the quality of light is equivalent to a partial eclipse already. Time to go to the park too.

Yeuch! Nasty, nasty weather!

Dave.

No sign of the Eclipse here either - it was supposed to be 75% in this part of the world, so one would expect an element of twilight, but I can't say I say any. Still, we had the full nine oktas!

Even with fairly sophisticated spam filters over 90% of the e-mail I recieve is junk!

Even without counting the Spam, 90% of the e-mail is junk! I always come back from holiday to find hundreds of mails detailing everything from minor documentation updates, to the fact that the Gents on the 4th floor was out of order a week ago last Thursday.

It was much easier when people had to write a real memo. They thought about whether it was worth doing, rather than just firing spam off to the whole department.

• Like 1

Just had a new shower fitted.

Over the last week, the previous one (2 years old) had gone mad - intent on scalding or freezing us.

Now have a new, slightly better version - and it didn't cost a penny.

All work and supply of replacement done under warranty.

Good service - especially turning out in, what is for many, still a semi-holiday period.

Much Wittering has come on apace.

Lots of 'background' work accomplished between mince pies and visitors.

I suddenly realised I needed more hills along one edge and have completed that.

More town planning next but I have buildings already made and ready to plonk.

However, I also need to start protecting the work with edge boards as I've just lost a chimney to the curiosity of the feral cat.

Afternoon all!

Been a busy day so far. On the plus side I've got batteries from B&Q and a half price climbing rope from Go Outdoors. On the down side I've also been trailed round a load of other shops for a freesat box, a DVD player and/or an aerial...

• RMweb Premium

Even without counting the Spam, 90% of the e-mail is junk! I always come back from holiday to find hundreds of mails detailing everything from minor documentation updates, to the fact that the Gents on the 4th floor was out of order a week ago last Thursday.

It was much easier when people had to write a real memo. They thought about whether it was worth doing, rather than just firing spam off to the whole department.

Even better, they would actually consider stopping by in person if something or other was sufficiently important, rather than just fire off an e-mail. Am I alone in thinking that it is rather impolite to resort to this kind of impersonal communication, even over sensitive or other important issues? :unsure: In my impression, this is like saying "I have something on my chest, but you will have to come and see me if you agree we should talk about it, 'cos I can't be bothered."

Even better, they would actually consider stopping by in person if something or other was sufficiently important, rather than just fire off an e-mail. Am I alone in thinking that it is rather impolite to resort to this kind of impersonal communication, even over sensitive or other important issues? :unsure: In my impression, this is like saying "I have something on my chest, but you will have to come and see me if you agree we should talk about it, 'cos I can't be bothered."

Sadly these days in the blame anyone else business culture, having an email along with the received/read notifications is just good sense. I can't count the number of times I've come across managers or clients asking for 'A' then getting bent out of shape later on claiming they wanted 'B'. Having the original conversation stored away in an email trail is just a best practice to CYA.

• RMweb Gold

Sadly its the best thing to do with email in the business world, I set my outlook up so when I receive an email from an individual a copy goes automatically into their folder leaving me one in the inbox to delete/ answer etc and when I send an email or reply a copy goes into that individuals file automatically.

This has proved to be more than worthwhile on many occasions :D

Amazing that people forget what they wrote!